• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slim Fit Shirts for Work, Best Value?

Dressed2the9s

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acridsheep
BB non-iron are terrible, unless you are considering purchasing mine for sale in B&S. Apparently I got a batch of super soft, totally natural looking ones.

Express shirts look great in the store. When you put it on, the shirt starts getting a bad attitude. When you wash it, it transformers itself into possum carcass.

I have had good luck with PRL custom in Marshall's/TJ Maxx, actually. Otherwise, save the pennies and buy teh goodz.

biggrin.gif
I like the analogy for Express shirts. And its true, you sometimes do have the bite the proverbial bullet and pay more for more quality.

loveswatching

Reaction score
Express shirts fade horribly but only if you get dark colors. I recently tried Charles T and i think i will be buying more shirts from them in the future.

They are the buy one (for $50.00) and get the 2nd one half off (if you can find a better deal, let me know)..
They usually have coupons offering $25 off $75. I dont think i have ever paid more then $20-25 for their shirts.

fa21212

Reaction score
How do you get these $25 off $75 coupons for Charles Tyrwhitt? Are the coupons restricted for purchases only in store or only online?

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dressed2the9s
Hi Achilles, when was the last time you were in college because I had the same experience with Express shirts years ago and stopped buying until recently, I noticed they have changed the quality a bit.

Has anyone had success with Charles Tyrwhitt slim fit french cuff shirts?

Hmmm it was around 6-7 years ago if I remember correctly. Maybe they are better now.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dressed2the9s
EXPRESS (men) have great solid shirts in a variety of colors including you basic financial/corporate job colors (whites, french and light blue, etc). Their 1MX shirts come in Fitted and now extra-slim fit (online offer only). They are the buy one (for $50.00) and get the 2nd one half off (if you can find a better deal, let me know). Its the cheapest slim to extra slim fit shirt I could easly find.

The question I have, is where can you get slim fit French cuff shirts for $50 or less? Also note not all slim fit shirts are built the same. I tried on Banana Republic's slim fit French cuff shirts (in different sizes) and they could have passed for the classic fit shirts because they had way too much room in the waist and back.

Charles Tyrwhitt has more French cuff slim fit shirt options than Thomas Pink (and are cheaper, about $60 US dollars) but there are no Charles Tyrwhitt stores in my state and I'd prefer not to buy on online to "try it out" but I may have to.

I'd be very careful about wearing inexpensive French cuff shirts. There's nothing worse than cheap cuff links. It looks very tacky. If you're at the budget stage of your life, you should try to go with something simpler than trying to look overly fancy.

My .2 cents.

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chico2007
If you have a Marshall's or TJMaxx near you they usually have some Ralph Lauren Polo "custom fit" shirts for $34.99. I love them. Slim, but not restrictive. I also bought two Hilfiger Slim Fit dress shirts for $21.99 a piece. They fit me very well. Not top quality, but I like them for everyday "if these get trashed no big deal" action.

I absolutely second this re Polo. However, if you hate the little man on a horse as I do, you'll want to keep your jacket on...

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acridsheep
^ The Polo non BD custom fits don't have the horseys, for the most part.

You have no idea how excited I am to find these shirts
bounce2.gif

Petyot

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fa21212
Can you please give me suggestions or web sites if I want to get slim fit shirts for work (I work in finance in an investment firm) for a reasonable price, hopefully $50 or less per shirt. Slim fit, ready-to-wear shirts have worked well in the past, but open to other suggestions if there are good values in the MTM space. I live in San Francisco and would prefer a retail store to a web site, but willing to go through a web site if they have a favorable return policy. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

http://www.landsend.com/ : their tailored shirts offer great value for the money (most of them less than $50)

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
Forget slim fit. Wast of time.
Find someone who alters shirts for $10.
Then, you can buy anything on sale, even as low as $15, and it will be a perfect fit.
Better than a $100 OTR shirt, in terms of fit.

Absolutely not true. The most important thing in a dress shirt is how the armholes are cut. If they are low to begin with, you can alter the waist all you want, but it will never look or perform well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads