• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lasttye
Everyone was wearing Macs around our way, I was still at School, So it would be 68/69 term. They was Navy or Black, did not see White or Fawn, At this early stage. Did see them later on Black lads.

Yes that was my experience of NW London at the time. Those macs would also be OK as part of most school uniforms but there was a danger they would get nicked if you left them in the school cloakroom.

ian-b

Reaction score
I've been having a look at the pic of Roy and his mates at Southend , got to say the lads look well smart.
The suit that Brash is wearing (the blue one) has some details that remind me of the early 70's style suits that were worn in the Glasgow area, mostly tailored by Arthur Black and Douglas Alexander. Multiple button holes and extra pockets were the rule rather than the exception.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is my mate Tom with Dana, Tom is 31 and one of the very smartest lads on the scene... Wearing a Mac
IMG_0154.jpg

bunty

Reaction score
Chaps, tab collared shirts were an early 60's style weren't they, very smart, but not Skinhead ?
Were button-downs the only style that you could get away with late 60's? (I'm thinking more about the shirt that was worn with a suit, I've only ever seen b/ds)

buttons

Reaction score
Hello again
Question for the originals on here .... BRACES.
When, what with and when not?
I know the subject has been touched upon at various points so I just wanted to clear it up, for my own personal satisfaction. From what I can gather ...
Braces have been around for decades before skinheads, clip ons being more recent (60s).
Some mods wore them for what they were intended - help your trousers hang correctly, especially with suits.
Looking at the many skinhead (and what would become skinhead) pics, they seem to have gone through a period of 'part of the look', but in every period, some wearing them and some not.
Was it part of the look (that MoM and others touched on previously) to the point where you weren't quite in the know without them? Or was it personal preference?
The very "skinhead" images, often from '69 show many wearing them, but are these the followers on / little brothers who are more bothered with the 'uniformity' of the image.
For the cool lads, at the head of the fashion, was there a time when they were a must have, then suddenly a time when you wouldn't touch them?

I'm sure there's different regional opinions as ever, so I'd be very interested to hear different takes.
I've spoken to some original lads who wore them with everything from skinhead, through suedehead to soul boy - never without.
Others have said they wore them briefly in '68 / '69, but never by the time check Bennies had arrived.

I know in the late 70's revival when the belonging to a cult was more important to many and braces were a big part of the uniform - different mentality from the early days though.

Also on the current scene, most don't bother, but that's mostly to do with indifference, laziness or excuses about being too fat, too old, or they're too uncomfortable.

Enlightenment would be greatly appreciated!

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by buttons
BRACES... From what I can gather ... Braces have been around for decades before skinheads, clip ons being more recent (60s). Some mods wore them for what they were intended - help your trousers hang correctly, especially with suits.

Correct, but also with other strides, including Levi jeans if necessary.

Looking at the many skinhead (and what would become skinhead) pics, they seem to have gone through a period of 'part of the look', but in every period, some wearing them and some not.
Was it part of the look (that MoM and others touched on previously) to the point where you weren't quite in the know without them? Or was it personal preference?
The very "skinhead" images, often from '69 show many wearing them, but are these the followers on / little brothers who are more bothered with the 'uniformity' of the image.

By and large you're right in thinking that by the time of the press coverage (which was, by and large, 1969) there had been quite an influx of younger lads, and braces were thought of as being part of the 'uniform' (as the press called it).

For the cool lads, at the head of the fashion, was there a time when they were a must have, then suddenly a time when you wouldn't touch them?

The crowd I hung out with had abandoned them by mid 1970 and had moved on to a more 'arty' look.

I recall that when I was on holiday in Spain on my 20th birthday, although I had taken a PoW jacket and a white Fred Perry away with me, and although I still wore my brogues, my hair was longer and I wore black Levi cords without braces and a turquoise Ben Sherman. The Ben was an unusual one because it was seersucker. This wasn't necessarily part of a particular 'look'. I had the impression we were all beginning to do our own thing by then.

Brideshead

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bunty
Chaps, tab collared shirts were an early 60's style weren't they, very smart, but not Skinhead ?
Were button-downs the only style that you could get away with late 60's? (I'm thinking more about the shirt that was worn with a suit, I've only ever seen b/ds)

Hi Bunty

One reason why I like the period from 1965 to 1968 is because there was greater choice in what one "˜was allowed' to wear. This would even include a shirt with conventional spread collar and double cuffs. By 1968 / 69 Ben Shermans were starting to take over completely along with Brutus, Jaytex and so on. The US imports were also starting to become common. So really from early 1969 to mid 1970 BDs were the only option. That suddenly changed for me in the summer of 1970 - see ref above to 'arty' from MoM.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the other hand there was quite a range of colours, stripes, and checks available with Bens, Jaytex, and Brutus, and then there were the American shirts from the Squire shop. If the collar stayed the same a heck of a lot of other stuff kept moving. I went from plain, through pin-stripe, through 'Beach Boy' style stripes, to checks, ginghams, near enough tartans, window panes... But I do take Brideshead's point.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Before BDs We wore any type of shirt 67/8 ?, I do remember Tab collared Shirts, My Brother would wear them. Nice shirt. My mate Tom was chatting to me about this type of shirt, I said its not Skinhead, But he dont claim to be a skinhead, so He is gonna get one lol

One thing thats worth mentioning.. Present Day Skinheads almost exclusively wear check shirts, fitted, sewn in back pleat, with large BD collars, fairly short sleeves, with a V and a button each side, they look like the old Brutus and Jaytex, that was worn 70, mostly by little Skinheads, and cheap.

Back in the Day 60s BDs had a more baggie look, The collar seemed somewhat smaller, The short sleeves would be baggie down to just above the elbow, no silly buttons each side, back pleats was not sewn in, and was considered naff to do so.
One thing sticks in my mind, going into the Bull Richmond , Seeing all these lads wearing White Ben Shermans with White socks to match, Back then a lot of clubs had Ultraviolet light that would make anything whiter than white. Also any scars on ones head would also stand out Lol. Other pastel colours was also worn.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by John Boy
I need more advice! Buying some bass weejuns - tassle or no tassle??
Both are ok, I only had one pair of Loathers, Tassel Fringe, I was always worried when wearing them... just in case you was chasing some cu*t, or running away from the Old Bill
laugh.gif

Brideshead

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by John Boy
I need more advice!

Buying some bass weejuns - tassle or no tassle??

Start with the simple penny loafer. Then as you move forward add a beefroll and perhaps a tasselled pair.

Also consider Sebago and AE (if you can find them).

Brideshead

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lasttye
One thing thats worth mentioning.. Present Day Skinheads almost exclusively wear check shirts, fitted, sewn in back pleat, with large BD collars, fairly short sleeves, with a V and a button each side, they look like the old Brutus and Jaytex, that was worn 70, mostly by little Skinheads, and cheap.

Back in the Day 60s BDs had a more baggie look, The collar seemed somewhat smaller, The short sleeves would be baggie down to just above the elbow, no silly buttons each side, back pleats was not sewn in, and was considered naff to do so.

Yeah - more understated. No need to SHOUT! That's what I meant when I said 'costume' in relation to some of your 'mates' at the doo.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crockett and Jones do a lovely loafer, Agree Sebago are nice and a lot cheaper.
Anyone remember A J Martin Shoe Shop Little Venice Maida Vale London, Well its shut down, Great shoe shop, One of the Salesman was a Original Skinhead, When one could no longer get Royals I would buy Alfred Sargent Brogues..from them, Sad Loss.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brideshead
Yeah - more understated. No need to SHOUT! That's what I meant when I said 'costume' in relation to some of your 'mates' at the doo.

Point taken John, but most these lads are later 80s Skinheads, Completely different from the Originals,
Their dress is a lot louder than the 60s, We was more Mod/Ivy League .. I think.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Staff online

Forum statistics