• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Home Made Sausage, Cured, and Smoked Meats

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bdeuce22
6pm
4f0e9102.jpg

Looks pretty gnarly dude. Would mistake that for a charred animal head if I didn't know otherwise.
redface.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
She got me a propane powered bradley.

Noice. Let me know how you like it.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
Looks pretty gnarly dude. Would mistake that for a charred animal head if I didn't know otherwise.
redface.gif

i'm hooked. i think i'm going to do something else this weekend. maybe a turkey. my GF's dad does them on the grill and turns out awesome every time.

any chance on getting a TOJ FQHH smock
laugh.gif

braised

Reaction score
i'm hooked. i think i'm going to do something else this weekend. maybe a turkey. my GF's dad does them on the grill and turns out awesome every time.

laugh.gif

We lost power on Thanksgiving and I did the turkey on the grill, it was fantastic! Have fun with it, B

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

laugh.gif

You really want to brine your turkey if you're going to cook it this way. It will be far moister when you're done. It also gives you a chance to season it some.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
You really want to brine your turkey if you're going to cook it this way. It will be far moister when you're done. It also gives you a chance to season it some.

+1, this is how we do it every Thanksgiving.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Just ran out of frozen packages of brisket. Next weekend I need to find a 15# or so and give it that 14 hour smoke
smile.gif

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
yeah. planning on that. Girlfriend's dad gave me his recipe.

Originally Posted by ama
+1, this is how we do it every Thanksgiving.
must be a MN thing.
laugh.gif

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
must be a MN thing.
laugh.gif

Better start practicing then. After you give her the ring she'll tell you its time to move back.
laugh.gif

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well B, at least there's an upside; you'll pay significantly less for alcohol!

Buying a smoker soon... re-reading this threak for guidance.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two quick questions for you smoking (and grilling) experts: what's the word on Weber charcoal grills? I'm debating between the 18.5" models; not really sure what the difference is between the "silver" and "gold"... I was hoping someone would know more than me so I could make an informed decision. Also, are Weber smokers any good? I'm looking at their 18.5" smoker also... Is there any other smoker that I should look into? I plan on smoking pork butts, brisket, etc. (aka no sausage or anything that would really require any other machinery YET). Thanks
smile.gif

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Weber's are good. No idea if there is a difference between gold and silver. You can use weber's for smoking if you just want an all in one type of deal.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Krish the Fish
Two quick questions for you smoking (and grilling) experts: what's the word on Weber charcoal grills? I'm debating between the 18.5" models; not really sure what the difference is between the "silver" and "gold"... I was hoping someone would know more than me so I could make an informed decision. Also, are Weber smokers any good? I'm looking at their 18.5" smoker also... Is there any other smoker that I should look into? I plan on smoking pork butts, brisket, etc. (aka no sausage or anything that would really require any other machinery YET).

Thanks
smile.gif

Go for the 22" model. I have both. It would not have been big enough to hold charcoal, pans, and the pork shoulder when i did it on saturday. if you look a page back, the picture of the shoulder on the grill is the 22" model. Even if it does fit, I think the meat would be too close to the heat on the 18.5". For reference, that shoulder was 8.5lbs.

I think there is only a $10 difference in the Silver 18.5" and 22" and about a $40 upcharge to go for Gold. I think Gold just gives you a nice ash catcher on the bottom. The Silver is just a little plate that is kind of nasty to clean and get out, but it's not bad. If I were to do it over, I'd go for the Gold (actually a total redo would not to be a cheap ass and get the Weber Performer). One thing to get no matter what is the hinged grill plate. They are like $15 on amazon. It'll make adding charcoal and wood a lot easier. especially the wood

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was only considering getting the 18.5 because I live in an apartment at school, and because I'll be living in the fraternity house next year, I don't want something that'll be too big or take up too much space. But if it's that much better/more useful to get the 22.5 over the 18.5, I'll grab it. These are the same reasons why I'm shying away from the performer, which I'll probably buy once I go to med school and/or have my own place.

I will look into a hinged grill plate... Do I need a separate smoker, or can I just use the Weber grill to smoke brisket/pork butt/etc.? Is there anything else I should get alongside a new grill?

edit: Just purchased a 22.5" gold weber, hinged grate, and Weber's "Charcoal Grilling" book, just so I can have a quick reference on hand (I've grilled with propane for much of my life, but never really did charcoal yet). $3.99 per item one-day shipping on amazon has all of it to me tomorrow.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads