• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NYC Hotel on a Budget?

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been scouring expedia, tripadvisor etc to find a relatively cheap hotel in Manhattan. I just want somewhere secure to leave my belongins, somewhere comfortable to sleep and night, and somewhere subway accessible - my budget for 5 nights is $750 (including taxes)

Possiblities I've come across include the Pod hotel, the Jane Hotel and the Marrakech Hotel. Any feedback?

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
try priceline name your own price - i got a very nice room in brooklyn for $100 a night a few weeks ago

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had no problem getting a room in mid-town on priceline for $140-150 a night in April last year, once at the Hilton at Grand Central and once at the W on Lexington. The problem is that as you get into May prices tend to go up so book asap.

Good luck.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PS- The Jane is an "adventure", especially the shared bathrooms. But probably fine if you just want a good location and a place to stash your gear.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've stayed at the Chelsea Lodge -- like $110 a night, cheap, clean, secure, private bathroom. Och, rates are now up to $124 -- still think it's pretty great! http://www.chelsealodge.com/ ~ H

changy

Reaction score
I suggest priceline as well. Got a room at the hilton for the parents for $125 a night 2 summers ago.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I doubt the Jane is cheap but I love it.

PeterMetro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
I like the Washington Jefferson. No-frills hotel located in Midtown, west side.

Plus there's a fantastic Japanese restaurant off the lobby. The steamed monk fish liver is, dare I say, foie gras-esque.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
I like the Washington Jefferson. No-frills hotel located in Midtown, west side.
Wow -that really looks like a nice little place - unfortunately it's a bit out of my range since their rates are starting $150+taxes
Originally Posted by Teger
try priceline name your own price - i got a very nice room in brooklyn for $100 a night a few weeks ago
Can someone explain to me how this name your own price thing works? It may sound like a dumb question - but I am by no means a seasoned traveller. Believe it or not - at the age of 27, this is only the second time in my life I've had to book my own hotel.
shog[1].gif
It sounds like I basically have to commit to taking the room before I find out what hotel it is and I can't back out. I tried to run a search using name your own price and it asked for my credit card info first - so I stopped. Seems like a dicey proposition.
patch[1].gif
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
I had no problem getting a room in mid-town on priceline for $140-150 a night in April last year, once at the Hilton at Grand Central and once at the W on Lexington. The problem is that as you get into May prices tend to go up so book asap.
Wow - I would pay $150 to stay at the W or a Hilton - I always thought those were far more expensive chains. Was this also through name your price? I looked on their regular site and everything like that was $250+ for July
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
PS- The Jane is an "adventure", especially the shared bathrooms. But probably fine if you just want a good location and a place to stash your gear.
I was actually eyeballing the jane pretty hard - especially because they have rooms for $100/night! But the one thing that freaked me out is all the reports of bed bugs there - apparently they have a bit of an issue with it and have numerous complaints on the bedbug report.
eek.gif
It's a real shame - because their rooms look like some of the coolest little hotel rooms I've ever seen.
7-17-jane-hotel-1_rect540.jpg
Originally Posted by Huntsman
I've stayed at the Chelsea Lodge -- like $110 a night, cheap, clean, secure, private bathroom. Och, rates are now up to $124 -- still think it's pretty great! http://www.chelsealodge.com/ ~ H
That looks pretty nice and has killer reviews. I ended up booking at a similar place called the Larchmont Hotel in Greenwhich village for $90/night except it has shared bathrooms - it has pretty similar reviews on tripadvisor - although not as glowing as those. Has anyone ever heard of it? If I find something I don't like about the Larchmont - I'll probably switch to the Chelsea Lodge. Thanks for all the advice everyone!

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Airbnb.com has some good options as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics