• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ambrosi Napoli

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cravate_Noire
I am sorry, but it is a myth that there's an actual difference between the fit of good mtm and bespoke shirts...

Depends. If the client has a relatively straightforward physique, good MTM should be just fine, and the benefits of high-end bespoke may very well be de minimis.

However, for someone like me, with extremely sloped and uneven shoulders and a large and disproportionate back, good MTM doesn't work that well. And I've tried quite a few.

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Depends.

Yes.

Difficulty is in the sleeves, not so much body.

- M

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Manton I'm sorry but if you look at the mirror you'll notice there is a distinct ripple in the pantaloon of thine trousers.

Clearly your tailor did not take into account your bent knee as it clearly just does not fit. Look I'm not saying it is bad but if you are about to spend 3K on a pair of pants, ought they not have absolutely break-free structure at every point whilst wearing?

Of course to spare you from even greater ignominy, I shan't even mention the, what appears to be, 1/4 inch slight disarray at the top third most quadrant of your waist and how at the left pocket in between the fourth and fifth weave, it is quite obvious to anyone with the slightest amount of knowledge the the tailor had blinked at that precise moment and has an extra four microns of thread in that position.

Look, it isn't awful, but I wouldn't dare defile my constitution with such an abomination of cloth and thread. Different strokes and what not, I guess you could say.

Now, this may sound controversial but after my successful experimentation of bedsheets qua shirting material, I am going to take these burlap sacks and convert them into pants! Glory and success are all that await!

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
^^

ed, there is no need for you to phail in every sub fora.

Just a horrible, horrible post that is not funny, satirical, ironic, nothing. Just absolutely nothing.

+100

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
^^

ed, there is no need for you to phail in every sub fora.

Just a horrible, horrible post that is not funny, satirical, ironic, nothing. Just absolutely nothing.

Is he that infamous?
laugh.gif

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What, you don't think "a ripple in thine pantaloons" sounds like something I'd say?

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh my! (gasp!) There is an error in this shirt! The horror! Just look at the elbow bumping the back of the sleeve!

Although, if you play the piano or clarinet or trumpet or some other fine instrument it would be OK because your arms are forward.

ZOjm0.jpg

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I
Ambrosi pants have a unique configuration of buttons and fasteners. Ambrosi's have a little panel that attaches to two buttons on the inside plus two more buttons on the waistband.

Do you like that configuration? Or, is it of no real benefit? And is it more for belted trousers or for trousers that use braces?

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
... my Ambrosi trousers are exceptionally comfortably. Who knows if that has to do with the hand-sewing, the fabric, the imagination, etc.

Different cutting methods can make a world of difference. Add to that pliable hand sewn seams and it can be very nice. (Pliable adapts to the figure better.)

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
Manton I'm sorry but if you look at the mirror you'll notice there is a distinct ripple in the pantaloon of thine trousers.

Pantaloons, have buttons up the side, at least partway, or a stirrup that goes under foot. I doubt Manton has any.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by greger
Do you like that configuration? Or, is it of no real benefit? And is it more for belted trousers or for trousers that use braces?

If Ambrosi trousers have an objective weakness, it is the buttons. Savile Row uses very strong silk thread coated in beeswax, with a nice amount spacing the button from the underlying fabric. Braces buttons on SR stuff almost never come off.

Ambrosi buttons (and he does use a LOT of them) are fastened more like shirt buttons. I've had my cleaners replace a bunch of them, or at least re-fasten the brace buttons so they didn't pull the waist band out of shape.

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by greger
The horror!

I'll get on that right away!
laugh.gif

- M

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Are we still talking about fkn shirts?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads