• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Berlioz's Requiem

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am in awe. The timpani during Dies Irae make your head spin.

A local choir is doing the full Requiem soon with over 200 musicians. But the full number suggested by Berlioz is simply unreal:
80 sopranos and altos, 60 tenors, 70 basses, but then says 400 singers would be better. THEN he says, actually 800 singers would be okay, but all 800 should only sing the loud parts, and "only" 400 on the quiet parts.

And to go with the 80-60-70, he asks for 25 first violins, 25 second violins, 20 violas, 20 cellos, and 18 double basses. And - are you ready? - 4 flutes, 2 oboes, 2 English horns, 4 clarinets, TWELVE horns, EIGHT bassoons, SIXTEEN trumpets, SIXTEEN trombones, SIX tubas, SIXTEEN timpani (kettle drums, played by ten players), bass drum, tenor drum, FOUR tam-tams (large gongs - ridiculous!), and TEN pairs of cymbals.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Classical concept albums ftw; March to the Scaffold is an unforgettable piece. You wonder if he was the one in the opium trance

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Great piece, gimmicky, like a B movie, but lots of fun.

Humperdink

Reaction score
No link?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are they doing the antiphonal setup? When the LA Phil did the Berlioz Requiem, they had the full percussion ensemble recommended by Berlioz as well as 4 brass bands set up all around the hall so the sound came from you from all over the place. It was ridiculous in a great way.

That was the 2003-2004 season, the 200th anniversary of his birth, and they had a whole slate of Berlioz pieces, including a super-trippy collaboration with Complicite, an English performance theater group, in Symphonie Fantastique that sounded cheesy on paper, but worked well.

--Andre

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Sounds vaguely the same number as Mahler's 8th symphony. However, I still don't get Mahler so I speak mostly from a shallow vague quasi-understanding gleaned mostly from reading slipcovers.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Sounds vaguely the same number as Mahler's 8th symphony. However, I still don't get Mahler so I speak mostly from a shallow vague quasi-understanding gleaned mostly from reading slipcovers.

Try #5, that's the gateway drug. Last moevement esp.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Try #5, that's the gateway drug. Last moevement esp.

That's the one that opens with a march? Love the opening, but I get lost quickly. I'll give it another spin and start at the end, this time.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
5 opens with a funeral theme on a lone trumpet which turns into a funeral march, but Mahler loved marches. Lots of his pieces, if they don't begin with a march, have a march somewhere in them. 6 also begins with a march, but with a martial theme.

Gateway into Mahler can start anywhere, but 4 and 1 tend to be the popular ones. One way to think of Mahler is as a 3D emo movie except it's all distilled into the soundtrack.

--Andre

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics