• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
passed on a bunch today:
Rubinacci tie
Zegna suits and sc's very recent, but the thrift wanted like $35.00 each, too much.
Bunch of Nicky ties.

$35 for a $1500 suit is too much?
You nÃ
00a9.png
ed to make a trip to your local Mall for a reality check

csoukoulis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xenos
^^^ Well, it sure is beautiful, that's certain. You can just find those on the streets in Texas? Might need to take a trip.

LOL the pickings arent that good here, i was just messing with the late night guys.

Originally Posted by 951socal
Are thrift stores open all night in texas or something?

No. You think walmart is bad in the middle of the night? imagine a goodwill! LOL

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by frenchy
$35 for a $1500 suit is too much? You nÃ
00a9.png
ed to make a trip to your local Mall for a reality check

I picked up a pair of brown Mezlan's in Goodwill in my size today and flipped them over to see $10 in marker written on the sole of each shoe. I also found a couple of sets of Hanover cedar shoe trees marked $2 on the left and $2 on the right. At the checkout, I paid attention and the Mezlans were rung up for $10. The two sets of shoe trees went in as $8. "Hold on", I said. "They're priced $2. It should be $4 total." (Yes, I know I was still getting a good deal but c'mon.) The guy says, "They're $2 EACH." I said, "Who would buy only one side of a pair of shoe trees?" "Manager!", he calls out. She says, "Two bux each." I said, "Then shouldn't my shoes be $20 instead of $10? They're priced the same." "Okay," she says. "They're four bucks for the pair then." <sigh> It wasn't the price that I minded. It was the PRICING. I paid. I'll be back. Understand...I'm in retail and that kind of stuff drives me nuts.

Wolfador

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Digmenow

I said, "Who would buy only one side of a pair of shoe trees?"

There was a post a few pages back that someone bought two lefts.
lol8[1].gif

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
passed on a bunch today:
Rubinacci tie
Zegna suits and sc's very recent, but the thrift wanted like $35.00 each, too much.
Bunch of Nicky ties.

what was wrong with the ties? I've never seen a Rubinacci, wouldn't mind seeing one if you happen to pick it up later and want to proxy.
The Nickys, I traded for one a little while back in cashmere/wool and it's really nice - surprisingly so, actually. The plain silk ones seem to languish, though, so I guess that's why you passed?

que

Reaction score
More Tx stuff. Someone musta of hit it big in Vegas, found these Ricci shirts which appear to be new, except for the holes from the sales tag from SA. These are all 15 1/2 and way to small for me so if interested let me know. If anyone knows what these retail for please inform b/c the retail price stated on ebies is wow.

Other stuff picked up was the like new logictech remote $3.25 and Sony Reader new in box $6.25

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
those logitech harmony remotes are awesome. I have three - two harmony One remotes (but one was a "free replacement" from logitech after the battery went bad - I swapped the battery with one from ebay!
laugh.gif
) and a Harmony 700 that I got free as a beta tester. Like I said, they're awesome, but you have GOT to be patient setting them up and getting everything just right. Once it's all dialed in, it's great... but there can be a good deal of frustration until you get there! speaking of home theater stuff, I think I'm gonna activate the tivo premiere xl I found recently for 40 bucks for 9.99/month, then sell the tivo premiere we have in the living room now with lifetime on it... after that I should be able to pay 299 for lifetime on the premiere xl. $339 for a premiere xl lifetimed is pretty sweet - they ebay for $600+ when the regular premiere only gets 400-450. I know I'm leaving money on the table, but we're filling up the living room tivo with kid's crap!
ffffuuuu.gif

Bartlebooth

Reaction score
que: Those Ricci shirts are... let's just say they're something else.

Xenos: Stop, already!

I nabbed a white Brioni and a white Zegna Napoli Couture with gray stripes. I'd have pics, but I left 'em at a friend's house. The Brioni has what looks to be a little make-up stain on the collar and another on the shoulder, so I hope those come out. I wonder if I have infidelity to thank for that one...

(And since books came up recently, also nabbed an already brodarted HC first edition of The Fortress of Solitude. It's not exceedingly rare, but it's solid used bookstore credit...)

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1. Antirabbit is in another thrifting mecca, so recent Zegna suits/jackets and Nicky ties are probably like what Stafford and Geoffery Beene is to the rest of us (Texas and California guys excluded). Never been around his stomping grounds, but I'd love to get out there one day. His finds always amaze me. Showed me a really nice Barbour jacket he got for $3 last time we met up!

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
+1. Antirabbit is in another thrifting mecca, so recent Zegna suits/jackets and Nicky ties are probably like what Stafford and Geoffery Beene is to the rest of us (Texas and California guys excluded). Never been around his stomping grounds, but I'd love to get out there one day. His finds always amaze me. Showed me a really nice Barbour jacket he got for $3 last time we met up!
yeah right. i spent two hours yesterday pawing through sears jackets and gap sweaters (not too bad, some of them, actually).

EBTX66

Reaction score
Originally Posted by csoukoulis
Yea my Trans Am gets like 10 city 18 hwy and runs on premium LMAO. My "full day" trips usually consist of 10-15 stores and a 100-150 mile loop approx. 1/2 city 1/2 hwy. Luckily i haven't stuck out in a while.

How did that job interview go?
devil.gif

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Any of these worth grabbing?

footjoy golf shoes
Burberry jeans (black,super-baggy, plaid back pocket) $12
Burberry casual button-down (khaki, plaid conrast lining a la Cam from Modern Family)
$10

shog[1].gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads