• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most Important Threads for a Newbie

barzen

Reaction score
I'm a newbie to this forum and to thinking more critically about what I wear in general. I've spent some time reading men's style blogs and going through the forums, and I've learned a lot over the past months. These are the style forum threads I've found most helpful:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=35147 - Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=111447 - Basic Tie Questions
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=10830 - Shoe Care Supply Checklist

I've also found the "basic" posts on Put This On very helpful.

My question: what style forum threads do you think are the most helpful or most important for a young professional learning about classic men's style for business dress and formal occasions?

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think something like this would be pretty useful since all the common questions have good threads where they've been answered.

either/or

Reaction score
Glossary of terms read all. pvrhye also made a beginner's thread -These should probably set you up, but now we're at it: ask a question, get an answer read all WAYWRN - what are you wearing right now learn to look at outfits, color combos etc: read all, subscribe, post when you think you're ready. conservative business dress WAYWRN Manton tells you to tone it the f*ck down, subscribe (btw, don't comment on shoelaces) modern tailor official thread (even if you don't do business with them) learn too look at at shirt fits, skim all, read the fit critiques fit critique thread look and learn. you might wanna try it here before cluttering up the MC front page with yet another suit critique thread. pocket square thread check out pocket squares in praise of grey look at grey suits in praise of navy look at navy grenadine ties if you don't know these official shoe care thread -self-explanatory guide to touching up your suit without without wrecking it jefferyd gives you a little respect for teh steam get foofed mafoofan utilizes photoshop in order to present his view of how your trainwreck should look mafoofan buys green wallet who is
foo.gif
? creepy sartorial images you don't want to end up in here. what was MC like in the glory days learn about SF/MC. Even though I've only been here long enough to catch him saying goodbye, I miss Vox. -a pros pos, a little more fun: Mr. Sam's snarky masterpieces Mr. Sam has his photoshop-way with some of the WAYWRN regulars. Voxsartoria's Weekly WAYWRN Subjective and Totally Unfair Digest -if you're slightly overwhelmed by WAYWRN I and II. Edit: forgot Fred H's weekly WAYWRN digest. Fred does a good job too. PS: problems with
censored.gif
imageshack? copy image-link url, open up new window, paste url.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Wow, totally looked like a spam post.

either/or

Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
^Wow, totally looked like a spam post.

-well, there are a few intelligible words in there (I hope) + all the links go to SF
wink.gif

barzen

Reaction score
This looks like just what I was looking for. Thanks!

Richard Pryor

Reaction score
WHy the **** would you give a link to the Mafoof buys a green wallet? Don't you think people have better things to do in life than to read that thread?

B|aze

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Richard Pryor
WHy the **** would you give a link to the Mafoof buys a green wallet? Don't you think people have better things to do in life than to read that thread?

You´re not Richard Pryor...
Richard Pryor is funny - and dead

either/or

Reaction score
WHy the **** would you give a link to the Mafoof buys a green wallet?

-what, no sense of humor? Anyway, the green wallet threak is a good way to get to know SF and Foo - you have to admit you have too know Foo to be on SF?

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a great thread, with possible sticky potential.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well what if you are looking for a green Hermes (sorry breast) wallet?

Could happen.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many are - we cannot tell what you need to learn from this intro.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
ironically, it's the ask a question thread. see why that's ironic?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads