• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Baddest Ass in Men's Fashion..Nick Wooster

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
We've discussed this kind of fashion-y stuff in the past, fuuuuma mon ami, and I think my view largely has stayed the same. I've got no issue with the mixing up of styles, but, I think there has to be an element of fun involved, or that you really enjoy what you wear, and that it comes naturally and just sort of "happens." Yohji, for instance. i think he just probably amazes himself sometimes what he comes up with. This guy, and many like this, seem to try SOOO hard. Think of your Japanese friends... I mean, sometimes mine show up wearing four different outfits, mixed together, one of which is the bottom half of his grandmother's kimono... and it looks so neat. So, it's not a "purist" sense that makes me nauseous to see this Wooster-dude, but just the affectation. even down to the goofy cigarette. I mean, when you smoke, you smoke. This guy smokes because he's "supposed" to smoke. You can tell.
lol8[1].gif

Well before/after fashion shows EVERYONE smokes. If you bring your kid or a dog you are obligated by la chambre syndicale de haute couture to give them a Gauloise. As you already know I'm not into those retro/americana looks because they, consciously or not, come from awfully restrictive heteronormative discourses regarding the nature of masculinity and give wearers a false sense of regaining something they were pressured into thinking was lost by enjoying more adventurous modes of dressing and living, I am, as a straight dude, of course concerned with not going in that direction as it is as much a prison as a security blanket. Masculinity as a restricted set of variables not really worth their salt anyway and that trying to break out of was something fashion helped people do. It's funny when an old queen does it though, can't help thinking he knows and is throwing it in their faces the same way he'd do if he was wearing a policeman costume. Maybe it is a little bit outdated though as it seems awfully reactive and about mirroring something he should simply be content not reproducing.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I'm curious how many interesting thoughts and sketches his artist field notebooks aren't filled with.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Who the **** wears brown shoes and horseblanket jackets if not little cosplayers?

Me. Or am I covered in that remark?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
he looks fantastic IMO and 108% better than almost any poster on here. Reminds me of phil crangi

I dunno, I think his outfit looks great. Keep in mind I think their buy is barf-worthy and never set foot in NM. He's pretty much always wearing full Thom Browne in the runway-way and this is no exception (aside from the boots?). It's not like he is more spazzatured than Luca Rubitnaughty, Lapo or even the english social parasite with the distressed shoes married to the chick on pound notes.

He mixes the grey shades and fabrics really well and I'm not even pissed at his Americana haircut, ridiculous on another man facial hair and clown urban lumberjack boots. Of course I'm like Diane "married to fashion" Pernet, I have a soft spot for the fashion freaks.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
he looks fantastic IMO and 108% better than almost any poster on here. Reminds me of phil crangi

Oh, Crangi is prime example numero DOS of everything I've been talking about. When it takes you four hours per day and about $25,000 in chemicals, creams, and surgeries to look "like a badass who doesn't give a ****," something is wrong.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Which is worse:

trying really really hard and looking like you're trying really really hard

or

trying really really hard to look like you not trying at all, but still looking like you tried really really hard

?

If you're going to give the impression that you try really really hard, I think it's probably better to fail on the side of explicit theatricality.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Me. Or am I covered in that remark?

You are but I wasn't really trying to insult your ilk but tell don carlos that trying to deride a bunch of people because they are wearing costume is stupid as everything is.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 1969
Haven't read the thread but guessing the consensus is 75/25 that Wooster is a ******* clown. Hope so at least.
Givenchy did a collection with Juggalo influences and you think people should be shocked by some fantasy retro-styling, mixing of greys and variation in suiting lenght? Please, dislike it all you like but this **** isn't that out there or clownesque.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Givenchy did a collection with Juggalo influences and you think people should be shocked by some fantasy retro-styling, mixing of greys and variation in suiting lenght? Please, dislike it all you like but this **** isn't that out there or clownesque.
I think it isn't the clothing as much as the "aura" given off by the dude wearing it. I mean, if we're talking fashion, that's one thing, but I think the irritation (at least mine, I can say) is "holistic" in nature. The clothes in a different setting might not seem as "clownish" as when they're being worn by Wooster. It's like somebody playing at dress up.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Poor Nick, he's probably a really nice guy, easy going, loving life if attention whorish but he's become an internet celebrity and hence gets the treatment. I don't mind the way he dresses, the guy is in "fashiony" side of mens classic clothing, not sure how people expect him to dress. he has to be a walking advertisement for what he does. Wearing a Savile Row suit everyday would probably look sillier on him. He is who is, I guess since he is not shy about having his pic plastered all over the place he is open to the criticism but not really sure how people expect him to dress. As for the fanboys, it's a lot worse on the real fashion side than anything Wooster gets from the various mens blogs. Guys like Crangi get their knobs slobbered like he invented analingus.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like most of Wooster's looks, but not this one. Of course he looks affected, but who ******* cares. His style isn't appropriate for banking, but guess what: he's not a ******* banker.

That said, I don't find him particularly badass or manly.

951socal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
I like most of Wooster's looks, but not this one. Of course he looks affected, but who ******* cares. His style isn't appropriate for banking, but guess what: he's not a ******* banker. That said, I don't find him particularly badass or manly.
i believe his tweed ensemble is an inaccurate representation of the man's fashion sense: http://williamyan.com/storage/SS_Nic...=1302487588291
Nickleson+Wooster-775350.jpg
hs27hy.jpg
11510NWClubCollar_3227Web.jpg

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You are but I wasn't really trying to insult your ilk but tell don carlos that trying to deride a bunch of people because they are wearing costume is stupid as everything is.
It's a tu quoque argument, though. And one that doesn't apply to me in the first place, as I don't dress in nearly the same mode as most people on WAYWRN do. Even if I did, I could still be right in pointing out how costumish and affected Wooster's look in the photo is (even if mine were equally affected). There's an element of affect in all fashion, and you could certainly argue that fashion, removed of all extrinsic connotation or value, is nothing but the pursuit of artful affect. I don't deny that. I just think there's a line that Wooster's look crosses. You could say the same about the looks of many people on SF, and you'd get no argument from me. Finally, it's worth pointing out (as did the poster above) that Wooster is more than capable of putting together a non-costumish look that still seems personalized. In other words, the right kind of eccentric.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Navi
I think it'd look awesome with a different shirt, different, longer pants and a normal pair of shoes. But that's just me. Jacket is sweet.

more of less - I think that the shoes look funny, longer pants, different shirt, no stripe on the pants. I don't think I could carry off the 4 tweed look, but I like it. I try to get my hair very similar to that, actually

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads