• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

RTenenbaum

Reaction score
I posted this question in the "Slim shirt" thread, but I figure I might get a faster response here
spam[1].gif

Dress shirts tend to be blousey on me when tucked in. Anyone have any luck with buying the cheaper brands of slim fit shirts, such as Arrow "fitted" shirts or the "fitted" Van Heusen shirts, and having them darted by a tailor?

The price is right and they fit me well except for blousey-ness around my lower back when tucked in. Would simply having a tailor dart the shirts fix this?

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RTenenbaum
I posted this question in the "Slim shirt" thread, but I figure I might get a faster response here
spam[1].gif
Dress shirts tend to be blousey on me when tucked in. Anyone have any luck with buying the cheaper brands of slim fit shirts, such as Arrow "fitted" shirts or the "fitted" Van Heusen shirts, and having them darted by a tailor? The price is right and they fit me well except for blousey-ness around my lower back when tucked in. Would simply having a tailor dart the shirts fix this?

If you're fine with lower quality shirts with the trouble of alteration, then why not going through online MTM shirts?

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anything to be done to repair a gouge on pair of shoes? Or is it just down to lots of Wax?

IMG_20110425_140729.jpg

Barnabus

Reaction score
Anyone here have any experience with a "mazzoni" brand of clothes? There's a leather coat on ebay that i may be able to nab for cheap. Granted if i can get it for the starting bid its a good deal regardless
laugh.gif
but im wondering how good is the quality is of the brand.? A search on here and online turns up close to nada

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Larson McCord
Tassel loafers are considered 'old guy wear' They are also not great for flipping.

OJFC. Alden tassel loafers on the van last, sure. G&G tassel loafers on the Deco last? Something else entirely!

Originally Posted by aj_del
Where can I get suede elbow patches to put on a SC? Online vendors preferred

Thanks for your help

Posted via Tapatalk

Lots of places sell them - Dritz is the most common brand, runs about $8 US for a pair.

Originally Posted by P. Bateman
Cashmere sweaters, hang or fold?

I've been folding them but I need the space for other stuff. I'm concerned the necks will stretch out if hung, should I be?

Fold!

Originally Posted by FlyingLotus
Can a tailor take in the collar on a shirt if its a bit loose around the neck ?

Yes, but it's never the same.

Originally Posted by cptjeff
No.

Why u say this? I've seen it done - it's just not something I'd go for. If the collar and shoulders don't fit on a shirt, it's not worth buying it.

Originally Posted by JamesX
Can anything to be done to repair a gouge on pair of shoes? Or is it just down to lots of Wax?

IMG_20110425_140729.jpg

What gouge? I see a bit of a scuff, and if these are shell it'll brush out. Calf might require a little more work, but there's a good chance it'll buff out. If not, then go the full route of conditioner, cream and wax and you won't see a trace of it.

If it is an actual gouge, you may have luck using the spoon technique - you apply a little wax, then use the back of a spoon to burnish and smooth the leather - press hard and slide the spoon over the gouge several times.

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imatlas
What gouge? I see a bit of a scuff, and if these are shell it'll brush out. Calf might require a little more work, but there's a good chance it'll buff out. If not, then go the full route of conditioner, cream and wax and you won't see a trace of it.

If it is an actual gouge, you may have luck using the spoon technique - you apply a little wax, then use the back of a spoon to burnish and smooth the leather - press hard and slide the spoon over the gouge several times.

Thanks for the help
worship.gif
I'll give it a try.

They are shell I'll just try brushing it out. Worse comes to worse, I'll just smear it with the Burgundy Pasty Wax.

P. Bateman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the style of shoe called in which there's stitching on the toe area, but it's under a solid, uncut, un-punctured piece of leather so you can only see the imprint of the stitching?

chanpo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jim10
Did you end up ordering from them? If so, how was it?

I would also like to know whether that site is legitimate or a scam. Anyone have experience with Linea Fashion?

CJones

Reaction score
Double Breasted Navy Blazer, no gold buttons - where?

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
are the a. testonis on gilt for $199 a good deal or are they diffusion line pieces of ****?

chiggah

Reaction score
What are good corporate business work shoes ?

Allen Edmonds ? Any other brands/models to recommend?

epilepc

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a modern, slim-fitting suit for prom. I wanna be stylish but I can't spend too much money on a suit (<400). Any recommendations? Fabrics? Stores I should check out?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imatlas

Why u say this? I've seen it done - it's just not something I'd go for. If the collar and shoulders don't fit on a shirt, it's not worth buying it.

Because in order to do it in a way that won't look like an utter hack job, you have to basically recut the entire collar and shoulder area. And the shape of the collar will never be right either, since that material has to either come off the ends or out of the middle, which would leave a prominent seam.

The expense of doing that, plus the fact that it's a no win however you do it, makes me say that altering the collar is not really doable. Buy a new shirt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads