• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

all black suits?

findtheshit

Reaction score
im thinking of getting an all black (suit, shirt, tie, etc) Looking to spend under $900. I am 18 and still growing. My size is 34 (44 euro). Does anyone have any recommendations for a suit? THANKS!
smile.gif

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there any reason why you want to wear all black to a prom?

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gorgekko
Is there any reason why you want to wear all black to a prom?
Everyone in HS/college always somehow gravitates toward black shirts and white belts when "dressing up," and the tie is typically white/cream or some garish pastel shade of pink or turquoise (not that black on black on black would be much better). I don't know whether it's because they see "all the old people" (FTR I'm 24) wearing white button-ups with black belts and automatically want to do the opposite or just because they're accustomed to appropriating "styles" from the windows of Le Chateau and other bottom-of-the-barrel mass-market clothiers -- either way, you will look back on it with either disappointment or regret. findtheshit, I'd recommend a light shirt (white, light blue, pink) and a colourful tie to go with your black suit.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At this stage in our evolution as a species I had hoped teenagers would have shown at least a little taste in clothes for their prom. I guess the more things change the more they stay the same.

SaveMeJebus

Reaction score
don't listen to these guys.

This is a fantastic idea...

assuming you're either (1) Johnny Cash, or (2) a villain from a 60's spaghetti western movie.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
if you wear an all white suit, it'll be a lot easier to findtheshit

NewYorkBuck

Reaction score
The single most frequent mistake I see young suit-wearers make is wearing a shirt that is to dark.

Dark green, dark blue, dark grey, and black. Almost never appropriate w the shirt/tie combo, and always better w a white/light blue.

Fight the temptation.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by findtheshit
im thinking of getting an all black (suit, shirt, tie, etc)

Looking to spend under $900. I am 18 and still growing. My size is 34 (44 euro).

Does anyone have any recommendations for a suit?

THANKS!
smile.gif

Are you in the mafia or something?

Unless you are, then this outfit is a MISTAKE.

Not only would it be a mistake but you would look like every other guy at your grad.

Do you really want to look like everyone else who has no fashion sense?

Or do you want to dress like you know what you're doing and dress like you are your OWN MAN?

Personally, I'd suggest a dark suit (doens't have to be black), with a white french cuff shirt and a simple, classic elegant tie in a classic pattern (such as paisley or houndstooth, for example) with a coordinating pocket square. Just remember the pocket square should never be an exact match of the tie.

CJones

Reaction score
Are you currently or have you ever been involved in a rock 'n' roll band?

Seeing as that you don't already own a black suit, I'm going to assume no. Thus, no, do not buy a black suit. I rarely wear mine offstage.

But if you aspire to that rock 'n' roll persona or are just stubborn like I, don't spend $900. Buy a cheap, slim suit from Topman or the like.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by UrbanAesthetics
I wouldn't recommend an all black suit Bro. There's no originality or much personal style you can incorporate with an all black suit. You want to try and buy a suit and rock it that shows people who you are instead of that "I'm wearing a suit because I have to" kind of look...

+1

A man who possesses sartorial splendour does not wear black suits because such suits makes him look like he's wearing a uniform.

Go medium grey if you want to look like you understand style.

Flartchy

Reaction score
interesting to watch "trads" advise a kid on a prom outfit.

My recommendation? Don't get your style guidelines from people who have no idea about your social milieu. What's cool in London probably ain't cool in Albuquerque, and vice versa.

Come here to learn about fit, terminology, brands, and fabrics.. but as for style, come up with your own.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads