• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

i am constantly hungry/thinking of food...help?

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lately ive been constantly thinking about food making me hungry regardless of whether i just ate. for the past 2-3 months ive been exercising more and dieting because im trying to lose roughly 20lbs (only 10 more to go...im 180 right now and 5ft8).

i feel like i eat a lot more, though healthier, than i did when i was overweight and not exercising. i eat filling foods too, like oatmeal and peanut butter for breakfast, potatoes, rice, pasta, etc... the only thing ive really cut out of my diet is sugar.

while i have the willpower to stick to my routine, the constant thinking of food and hunger is making me miserable. what is my body trying to tell me?

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eating will help.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheessus
lately ive been constantly thinking about food making me hungry regardless of whether i just ate. for the past 2-3 months ive been exercising more and dieting because im trying to lose roughly 20lbs (only 10 more to go...im 180 right now and 5ft8). i feel like i eat a lot more, though healthier, than i did when i was overweight and not exercising. i eat filling foods too, like oatmeal and peanut butter for breakfast, potatoes, rice, pasta, etc... the only thing ive really cut out of my diet is sugar. while i have the willpower to stick to my routine, the constant thinking of food and hunger is making me miserable. what is my body trying to tell me?
The bolded portions are why you are constantly hungry. Your body is telling you that it is not receiving adequate nutrition.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a similar thing happen to me. I met with a dietician and she suggested more protein for breakfast, dialing back on carbs, more vegetable for bulk and to feel satisfied.
A typical lunch was grilled protein and a huge salad (watch the fat level of dressing).

djlukin

Reaction score
It would seem to me that your carb intake is probably high. High carb intake creates blood sugar spikes and eventually carb cravings. The simpler the carb, in general (sugar is simple), the higher the glycemic index, the faster the sugar enters your bloodstream, more insulin released, systematic process everytime you eat carbs. Also, some studies have shown that diet soda intake and artificial sweetener intake triggers carbohydrate cravings. Both factors may work in unison. Reduce carb intake. Low carb, high protein, moderate fat diet.

The King of Teeth

Reaction score
You need to eat more protein as mentioned and add in a fat with the protein. Fats tend to curb hunger.

I was in great shape all my life- a bit on the skinny end really. At age 16 I was 6'2" 135 pounds. Skinny little bugger I was. Well, after college, grad school, marriage and 2 kids, my weight blossomed up to 240! But i was still skinny fat- big gut, skinny everywhere else.

Over the past two years Ive lost about 40 pounds and am in at age 39 at the best shape of my life. However, as I dieted, I ran into the same issues you had- cravings and hunger. Here is what I do now - in addition to working out hard 6 days a week:

- Eat a good breakfast- not massive, not huge. But a good breakfast. Egg white omelette, some cheese, wheat bread.

Lunch- get your carbs out of the way (btw- avoid all white breads- whole wheat only) have chicken, salad, pasta, anything you want. You cant eliminate carbs but the majority of carbs should come at lunch and breakfast.

Dinner- I eat a small portion of protein and a bit of fat. Mix in a protien shake or two but depending on portions, this should be anywhere form 2000-2500 calories. The protein shake when you get hungry has a good amount of protein and fat and will help you curb the hunger.

Good luck.

Mandrake9072

Reaction score
In short, you would wanna dial back on carbs and increase protein and fat intake.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think about carbs whether or not I'm full, but you may just be SOL like me. If you're actually hungry, you may want to try more saturated fat with your meals. It's always helped me with physical satiation. Mostly protein foods like tuna or chicken without the skin always leave me full, but unsatiated.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The skinless chicken breast is man's most despicable creation.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Drink a lot more H2O to keep that belly filled with something.

Eat a lot of soup. Soup is filling and satisfying.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Drink more water, fat and protein keep your hunger hormones down, carbohydrates will make you hungry.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Also, cook your lean protein in butter
redface.gif

Monaco

Reaction score
You def. need some good saturated fats in your diet to help with satiety.

Try this, grill up some lean protein (***** cuts from pastured sources only) in some coconut oil (you should watch out and get this from a clean source as well like expeller pressed or first press. Eat it with a big batch of veggies stir fry, a little potato and cultured yogurt with strawberries. That should make you nice and full for a long time.

Farmers used to feed pigs coconut oil to fatten them up but they found out that it was making them lean.

If you are preventing yourself from eating, that is not the solution for long term weight loss, you need to give your body what it needs and work out for maximum results.

Save your bigger portion starchy foods for post-workout.

Personally, I find that whenever I'm craving something, I'll go out and get ingredients to make it at home. Eating until I'm content will keep me from thinking about food for hours.

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's funny - the first time a man tries to get control of his diet is the first time he feels empathy for the way girls eat and obsess over diets. A few things that work for me, mostly psychological/strategic:

1) Stay busy. It's hard to stuff your face when your running or doing stuff.
2) Limit options. Don't bring crap home, don't eat in the car, etc. Create firm lines and then you won't be tempted to cross them.
3) Drink water/caffeine and eat fibrous foods.
4) Don't worry about a bad meal or even bad weekend - it's hard to create a 3500+ calorie surplus. The real harm is done by repeatedly overeating, over a long period of time. It's good for your psyche to eat what you want on occasion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads