• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Beer Thread

MrGoodBytes

Reaction score
last week I was at the Bristol and had Flossmore station's Saison & Garfunkel (which I think is about the only place you can get it)... incredible! and while it didn't taste like it, a single pint got me quite buzzed.

Also had a chance to check out Half Acre's Ambrosia which was quite good. It definitely stands apart from the rest of their beers taste-wise (blind taste test, I would not have guessed half acre)

Also had Southern Tier's Phin & Matt's Extraordinary Ale... I know I've randomly had a few bottles of ST before but never paid much attention to them. Nothing fancy here but incredibly well done and generally palletible, I'd recommend this to anyone.

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had a Founder's Double Trouble last night. That is some good beer! Tastes like grapefruit or some kind of citrus. Does it taste anything like Hopslam (for those who can compare)?

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never had side by side but I'd take double trouble over hopslam. I wish I bought a case of DT instead of hopslam.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But to answer your question. They are similar. I get more sweetness out of hopslam. I think it's brewed with honey.

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bdeuce22
I never had side by side but I'd take double trouble over hopslam. I wish I bought a case of DT instead of hopslam.

Thanks for the info. I am thinking of buying a few 4-packs of DT (while they are still available). At least i won't have such regret over not being able to get Hopslam in NYC.

I am still going to try to get a bottle of Hopslam just so i can see the honey/sweet aspect.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JSC437
Thanks for the info. I am thinking of buying a few 4-packs of DT (while they are still available). At least i won't have such regret over not being able to get Hopslam in NYC.

I am still going to try to get a bottle of Hopslam just so i can see the honey/sweet aspect.

people seem to go apeshit over hopslam. it's really good, don't get me wrong, but if i had a gun to my noggin', i'd take double trouble. it's definitely worth trying. i preferred hopslam on tap over double trouble, but not a fair shake since i was also drinking a lot of KBS on tap as well. the combo of those two will **** with anyones palette

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bdeuce22
people seem to go apeshit over hopslam. it's really good, don't get me wrong, but if i had a gun to my noggin', i'd take double trouble. it's definitely worth trying. i preferred hopslam on tap over double trouble, but not a fair shake since i was also drinking a lot of KBS on tap as well. the combo of those two will **** with anyones palette

KBS and Hopslam on tap... Lucky! There is a place in NYC that supposedly has that Goose Island Bourbon stout on tap. Going to walk over there this week and see for myself.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Out of all the hop-bombs that were released earlier this year I prefer Nugget Nectar>DT>Hopslam

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JSC437
Had a Founder's Double Trouble last night. That is some good beer! Tastes like grapefruit or some kind of citrus. Does it taste anything like Hopslam (for those who can compare)?

Hopslam is sweeter with the honey they add. I'd say it's slightly less bitter as well.

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tooch4321
Firestone Walker Double Jack beats them all!

I had the opportunity to buy some of this over the weekend but bought some oak aged espresso by great divide instead. I'll have to check it out next time I am at the same store.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Went back to West Lakeview Liquors tonight. Same dude helped me get some new choices. I got:
Bockor Brewery Bellegem's bruin west flanders ale
A German Rauchbier
Blanche de Bruxelle white ale and
2003 vintage Aventinus

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads