• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alanjav
about two weeks in...found these on eBay for $100 below retail value.

IMG_7173.JPG

i saw those, too bad i got small feet.

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CHRK33
REguy, I asked myself that very same question. But considering I actually rarely wear black shoes with my suits, even where traditionalists might say you should (like navy or charcoal), I would substitute this shoe for any brown shoes I considered would look good with a navy or grey suit. I also think those shoes are really beautiful. I will just have to be creative. I would also be very open to any other suggestions for what I could wear those two-tone saddles with or pics from people who already have them.
I have a few pairs of saddle shoes, I like to wear them with jeans.
^ Jhcam, did the ones from Leffot have a crepe sole? These might be slightly different because I was told they were a single leather sole, which hopefully lends them a slightly more formal feel (or so i hope). I agree with your premise that black shoes are pretty boring. We'll see; I actually think they are nice-looking shoes. They weren't a must have at full price, but the more palatable 'seconds' price piqued my interest.
Originally Posted by jhcam8
Yes, the Leffot have crepe while the Shoemart's look like a single leather or waterlock. They are great shoes - I'm very pleased with mine. Playing around with shoes and clothes is what we do, isn't it? So, have fun!
smile.gif

If the ones you got from Shoe Mart had a single leather sole, they are the makeup for the Blackbird version of that shoe.
Originally Posted by thebunk
Can someone de-code the Shoemart colors for me and cross-reference them to the typical Alden colors (i.e. what is tan, scotch, etc)?
"Scotch" is scotch-grain leather. "Tan" can be used to refer to either tan, dark tan, burnished dark tan, or cognac colors, from what I have seen. Neither are used to refer to shell colors.
Originally Posted by HarryFlashman
Anyone have opinions on this cigar shell model on the van last? I am intrigued, as it might go as a casual shoe, maybe even sockless...
FD-73904.jpg

I bought a pair of those off of the seconds list in 8.5D, and I've decided that they're not really my style. I'm going to return them, I've got my eye on something else on the seconds list as a possible replacement.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ good decision on returning those, they look like orthopedic shoes..

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The iPhone flash does horrible things to the picture, but I just had to share because this is my first day wearing these and I'm really happy with them. From the dark office:
2011.04.25.jpg
I'll share truer pics tonight when I get home. - K

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kgmessier
The iPhone flash does horrible things to the picture, but I just had to share because this is my first day wearing these and I'm really happy with them.

From the dark office:

alden_saddle.jpg

I'll share truer pics tonight when I get home.

- K

Everything, from the shoes, to the socks, to the pants, to the lacing is awesome

Good work

EDIT - Where are these from?

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by commodorewheeler
"Scotch" is scotch-grain leather. "Tan" can be used to refer to either tan, dark tan, burnished dark tan, or cognac colors, from what I have seen. Neither are used to refer to shell colors.

Small correction to this: shell cordovan is available with the scotch-grain embossing in different colors, same as calf. Alden doesn't seem to use it much, in fact among all companies it's quite rare for some reason - although I think Ron Rider likes to use it. I've never come across it in person, but it seems like it should be tough as nails. I'd like to get a pair of boots in black scotch-grain cordo someday.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those seem to be the 2 tone saddles that Tom at Leathersoul had.

http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/201...-re-stock-lsw/

They also were on ShoeMart's seconds list in size 10 that went out on Thursday.

facepalm.gif

Is it just me, or do Leathersoul's photos look like the #8 and the black are the same color? I saw those shoes on the blog and thought nothing of them because it looked like a one color shoe. Seeing the pic on this thread, I would have jumped all over them if I knew the true color.

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alcibiades
facepalm.gif

Is it just me, or do Leathersoul's photos look like the #8 and the black are the same color? I saw those shoes on the blog and thought nothing of them because it looked like a one color shoe. Seeing the pic on this thread, I would have jumped all over them if I knew the true color.

Yup, I thought the same thing initially. That's why I checked with Tom at Leather Soul to be certain they were the same saddle shoes they were selling back in 2008 and 2009. They are.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
facepalm.gif

Yeah - Tom says he's a point and shoot man so his pics are sometimes iffy, but they are the color 8 and black.

obiter dictum

Reaction score
The people writing the e-mails at Alden restoration are... interesting. First they misspell my name and then in the next e-mail they refer to me as a "Mrs." Hope my boots don't come back with high heels.

Jorge

Reaction score
facepalm.gif

Is it just me, or do Leathersoul's photos look like the #8 and the black are the same color? I saw those shoes on the blog and thought nothing of them because it looked like a one color shoe.

+1

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
facepalm.gif

My #8 looks pretty close to black in person, I didn't get them from Tom BTW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads