• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by intfxdx
i am 177 cm, 5.8 feet (without shoes), should i go for a regular suit or a short ?

What do you normally wear? I'm 5'10" and I was wearing a regular but I switched to short as it covers the behind just enough.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
How long does everybody get out of a pair of dress socks? I find with usual rotation I can get about a year out of them.

I wash the socks myself at home.

I have 5 pairs that I wear on a regular rotation and they its been over a year and they still look good. I've also had some that I bought at some street fair/flea market and they wear out after 6 months.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Makoto Chan
Thanks for the reply. The jacket's navy. It came with white plastic buttons.

I can't imagie it with white buttons. Would you consider changing colors on the buttons?

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lyon_BC
Is it standard to crease chinos or khaki pants for a business casual setting, or for a younger man would it be acceptable to wear flat front chinos without the crease on them ?

I don't think it'll make any difference in a business casual environment.

got_nugs

Reaction score
I have a Paul Smith suit, how do I confirm that it is authentic? Just looking for direction as a new SF member. Thanks!

Lyon_BC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
I don't think it'll make any difference in a business casual environment.

Thanks for the input....are Navy, Black, Gray, khaki the main colors I should try and stay with for pants in a business casual office? I'd assume those are subtle enough for an engineering office setting.

lincolnshirepaul

Reaction score
Anyone know where I can find a shirt with a similar or same fabric to the one in this picture here:

800px-French_cuff.JPG

Only the cuff is visible, but I imagine it's not hard to visualise the rest of the shirt.

FlyingLotus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can a tailor take in the collar on a shirt if its a bit loose around the neck ?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FlyingLotus
Can a tailor take in the collar on a shirt if its a bit loose around the neck ?

No.

intfxdx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
What do you normally wear? I'm 5'10" and I was wearing a regular but I switched to short as it covers the behind just enough.

I am normally wearing Regular but it seems that it's somewhat long for me. here is the link of a isaia regular suit, u think that it's long ?
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...40#post4363840
better to go for a short ?

Love me style

Reaction score
Misunderstanding my instructions, my tailor has stitched a DB suit with wide Fred Astaire style lapels. Is DB still in style, particularly for business wear?

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by enigma7
Hey guys,

I'm need to a blazer/sportcoat. I've found a jcrew blazer that's caught my eye.

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/s...2324/42324.jsp

I am not adverse to alternatives, but I am having a hard time finding ones with similar fit.

What do you guys think? alternatives?

Thanks!

Probably fine if it fits your well. These jackets are pretty slim and may look dated in a couple of years. if you like the thin lapels, but want something a little more conservative look at Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald or Regent fit. There will be a sale soon before Memorial day if they follow the usual pattern.

Avocat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Larson McCord
Tassel loafers are considered 'old guy wear' ... [sic].
Right, Prince William (who loves his tassels and tweeds) is so old, I mean, being born in 1982 makes him what? Almost 30 *gasp* ... then there's that whole "old school" prep school crowd who love them, and always will as I do--i.e., Yale, Harvard, Dalhousie, etc. You obviously are not British and/or from the North-East. Tassel loafers (all loafers, really) are old school (aka timeless classics), yes, but hardly are they (or loafers generally) old guy wear ...
confused.gif
EDIT: this, unless you mean Italians in Italy (all ages, old and young alike) who sometimes wear loafers as business shoes w/ their suits, but the southern EU continent isn't as conservative as are Brits or North-Eastern North Americans. (Note: if this is what you mean, i.e. pairing loafers w/ a business suit as if they were a formal business shoe then, yes, it looks strange to me, too, but mine are British/North-Eastern sensibilities, so ...
wink.gif

rudedog

Reaction score
In a typical OTR drop-6 suit, how much material is typically available to let out the trousers? I am usually a 40, but have a 35-36" waist. When I see some good deals on places like gilt or yoox, I'm worried that if I buy a 40 there won't be enough material to let out the waist, which is especially a concern for some of the final sale items.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Staff online

Forum statistics