• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just bought this:
1968FenderCIJZebrawoodStratocasterCustomReissueBodyFront.jpg

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need a rec, folks.

Through circumstances beyond my control, I'm currently in possession of a few Gibson SGs, brand new, with a bunch of signatures from big name artists, that I can't sell. I also have a Fender Squire that's all beat to hell and needs new strings. My amp is being returned to the original owner, so I have nothing but a few nice guitars and a crap one at this point. I'm thinking about trading one at a guitar shop for a decent guitar and an okay amp (I just play at home, so I don't need anything nice). I know next to nothing about gear. I want to get rid of at least one of these guitars.

-I want a mid range guitar
-I have relatively short/stubby fingers
-I play mostly bluesy guitar (Mayer, SRV, Hendrix, etc.)
-I want a small amp that sounds good in a single room. I'm not going to be playing shows with it.
-Any basic pedals?

I can swap out up to two SGs no sweat for the gear. A third if necessary I don't want a ton of stuff (I like to keep my place uncluttered and easy to pack up), but I don't want to have to buy gear ever again. Thoughts?

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Cool! Is this a Custom Shop or Japanese Reissue?

Japanese. Won't actually be able to play it for another month when I get back home but didn't want to miss the opportunity to get one. Hoping to like it more than my CS 56 relic which is a bit too bright for me now.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HgaleK
I need a rec, folks.

Through circumstances beyond my control, I'm currently in possession of a few Gibson SGs, brand new, with a bunch of signatures from big name artists, that I can't sell. I also have a Fender Squire that's all beat to hell and needs new strings. My amp is being returned to the original owner, so I have nothing but a few nice guitars and a crap one at this point. I'm thinking about trading one at a guitar shop for a decent guitar and an okay amp (I just play at home, so I don't need anything nice). I know next to nothing about gear. I want to get rid of at least one of these guitars.

-I want a mid range guitar
-I have relatively short/stubby fingers
-I play mostly bluesy guitar (Mayer, SRV, Hendrix, etc.)
-I want a small amp that sounds good in a single room. I'm not going to be playing shows with it.
-Any basic pedals?

I can swap out up to two SGs no sweat for the gear. A third if necessary I don't want a ton of stuff (I like to keep my place uncluttered and easy to pack up), but I don't want to have to buy gear ever again. Thoughts?

Get a Strat, obviously. I've had good luck with the Japanese ones if you don't want to go Custom Shop (MIJ is better than MIMexico or MIAamerica, IMO). Gomestar always recommends the 62 Reissues, which would work for Mayer/SRV/Hendrix. And you can always swap out the pickups, maybe for Custom Shop 69s.
Maybe a Fender Blues Jr. for the amp? Really depends how much you want to spendon an amp. For those guys you'll want a really thick, clean amp, so think Fender-y. I'm a big fan of Victoria amps if you're willing to spend the cash.
Definitely get an overdrive, probably go for a Keeley modded TS808. If your amp doesn't come with reverb, get a reverb pedal - lots of options depending on price, none of which I have experience with. Maybe a delay pedal for slapback, like an Aqua Puss (I don't really like mine, but Mayer does use one, albeit an original).
Oh, and get a cheap tuning pedal. No need for anything great if you're not playing live, you can find cheap ones on ebay pretty easily.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool! Is this a Custom Shop or Japanese Reissue?

Would it be tacky to kit the guitar out like this?

384-1036x513.jpg

shootspeed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by origenesprit
Get a Strat, obviously. I've had good luck with the Japanese ones if you don't want to go Custom Shop (MIJ is better than MIMexico or MIAamerica, IMO). Gomestar always recommends the 62 Reissues, which would work for Mayer/SRV/Hendrix. And you can always swap out the pickups, maybe for Custom Shop 69s.
Maybe a Fender Blues Jr. for the amp? Really depends how much you want to spendon an amp. For those guys you'll want a really thick, clean amp, so think Fender-y. I'm a big fan of Victoria amps if you're willing to spend the cash.
Definitely get an overdrive, probably go for a Keeley modded TS808. If your amp doesn't come with reverb, get a reverb pedal - lots of options depending on price, none of which I have experience with. Maybe a delay pedal for slapback, like an Aqua Puss (I don't really like mine, but Mayer does use one, albeit an original).
Oh, and get a cheap tuning pedal. No need for anything great if you're not playing live, you can find cheap ones on ebay pretty easily.

i would second the blues jr. you can easily swap the speaker and put in better tubes. you could also get a thd hot plate for some natural overdrive without the loud volume, very useful for small rooms and playing at night.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shootspeed
awesome stuff. anyone in bands or have some music up somewhere? would like to hear these rigs in context.

my old band, check out facts and figures, #12, the only song really worth listening to. also recommend it's difficult and no winners.
http://tinyurl.com/43zebg8

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would it be tacky to kit the guitar out like this?

I could never ever bring myself to add a Gibson part to a Fender or vise versa. But, hey, it's yours. Enjoy it any way you want.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
+1 to the Blues Jr. amp. Great amp. As is the Pro Jr., I used one of these for a while. Tiny, but damn loud, had no problem standing up to some drums.

in other news, I stopped into a fantastic vintage guitar store (world-class gear in a tiny 30,000 people town in upstate NY) this past weekend to scope out a '63 Strat refin that I've had my eye on. Original neck, original pots, original pickups, refinished body (would strip and repaint), and replaced tuners (but they didn't drill any extra holes on the headstock). Nice. It sold the day before
ffffuuuu.gif

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
+1 to the Blues Jr. amp. Great amp. As is the Pro Jr., I used one of these for a while. Tiny, but damn loud, had no problem standing up to some drums.

in other news, I stopped into a fantastic vintage guitar store (world-class gear in a tiny 30,000 people town in upstate NY) this past weekend to scope out a '63 Strat refin that I've had my eye on. Original neck, original pots, original pickups, refinished body (would strip and repaint), and replaced tuners (but they didn't drill any extra holes on the headstock). Nice. It sold the day before
ffffuuuu.gif

Ludlow had a 64 refin a little while ago that they wanted 10 grand for.

What is this vintage shop, if you don't mind giving the secret?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Ludlow had a 64 refin a little while ago that they wanted 10 grand for.

What is this vintage shop, if you don't mind giving the secret?

http://www.rumbleseatmusic.com/index.html

I was upstate for wedding planning stuff, but I have to stop in there every time. Not listed but superb was an immaculate '61 sunburst strat with a '61 Fender amp (I forget which one). Both purchased together, both have all original documents, all accessories, there isn't as much as a scratch on the Strat, and both even have their original cardboard shipping boxes which are still in great shape. $75K.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I could never ever bring myself to add a Gibson part to a Fender or vise versa. But, hey, it's yours. Enjoy it any way you want.

i'm not brand sensitive but i think those knobs are too busy for the guitar and make it look like a grandma's basement. the originals look better.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always liked this special edition one pickup Les Paul Goldtop. I think it was Dave's Music in Wisc that had a batch made about 10 years ago or so. They were slow sellers but I was too slow and missed my chance at one. Maybe I'll find one some day?

images12-27-44.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads