• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fake or Real (Authentic, Genuine, etc.) -- Official Authentication Thread

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you serious with those pictures? It's as if you tried to make them blurry.

The tag looks right but the edges seem a little rough to me. Is it old?

CrystalCrunch

Reaction score
Close to $60 including shipping. Ill take a real photo of it.

I know I need to shave and what not so keep that on the dl.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^If you like the shirt and it fits, great. But, it's probably 10 years old, from Versace's lower, not particularly noteworthy line that (as spoo said) is no longer produced. As such, $60 seems like a whole lot considering you can get infinitely nicer, better fitting shirts in B&S for that, or less.

I probably wouldn't have paid $25 for V2, especially considering it is used, but hey, whate'er floats yer boat. If you are interested in designer stuff, I'd definitely become acquainted with the history and various lines of the company to avoid paying too much for stuff that was sub-par the minute it was produced. As well, it looks like a shirt that you'd have worn to go clubbing in 1999-2000 with a pair of square-toe shoes.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CrystalCrunch
nice responce.. made me think.
We've all done it... especially in our earlier days of buying clothes. We snap something up because it's got a designer name, and we think it will be "cool." But, seriously, you'll save a lot of money, and a lot of awful fashion mistakes, both by acquainting yourself with the brands you like and also learning to differentiate what makes a shirt look good on you, and what doesn't. A $15 button-front that fits you well and is in a color that highlights your face/skin tones is going to look better than a $1500 designer shirt that doesn't. Even above and beyond all mentioned above about your V2 shirt, it also really just doesn't look it "goes" with you. I dunno; it screams "CHAV" and, beyond that, it screams "I just bought this 10 year old shirt on ebay; isn't it cool?" Watch those old SNL videos of the clubbing guys (night at the Roxbury?) The "baby don't hurt me" guys would wear this stuff. Check out the B&S area here, which has a lot of nice shirts at fair prices. I'm not saying you should give up on designer stuff, as there is a lot of fun, neat stuff out there (even from versace, which in the last 2-3 years has really tried to get back to making interesting, well made stuff.) BUT, realize also that all the major brands had times "in the wilderness," especially in the 1990's, and so there is a lot of abysmal **** out there. Versace, Valentino, Gianfranco Ferre, etc. all had terrible periods of over-licensing and without a lot of knowledge, you can end up paying a lot for something you think is a treasure, but was a licensed piece of garbage. For example, all that stuff on ebay from Ferre's "GFF" line is that; made in the mid-late 1990's, that nobody bought at the time. It was garbage, and they are still trying to clear out the dead stock. SO, beware, as it's not the "Gianfranco Ferre" you'd want.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
its real. V2 classic line (now defunct), produced somewhere between 1999-2002 as far as I can see from the pics.

all versace inqiries answered by spoo in 2 minutes or less or your delivery is free
laugh.gif

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by in stitches
all versace inqiries answered by spoo in 2 minutes or less or your delivery is free
laugh.gif

lol8[1].gif
Although, I was a little disappointed, as I expected him to say, "And your shirt was made on a Tuesday afternoon by Donato, a lovely man who sits at Sewing Machine #7 in the Versace factory in Calabria, though (IMHO) sometimes he has too much wine after supper and misses a stitch."

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
lol8[1].gif
Although, I was a little disappointed, as I expected him to say, "And your shirt was made on a Tuesday afternoon by Donato, a lovely man who sits at Sewing Machine #7 in the Versace factory in Calabria, though (IMHO) sometimes he has too much wine after supper and misses a stitch."

puzzled.gif
eek.gif

BrianSFL

Reaction score
We've all done it... especially in our earlier days of buying clothes. We snap something up because it's got a designer name, and we think it will be "cool." But, seriously, you'll save a lot of money, and a lot of awful fashion mistakes, both by acquainting yourself with the brands you like and also learning to differentiate what makes a shirt look good on you, and what doesn't.
Ain't that the truth. I'm in that process right now, trying to rebuild my wardrobe at 31 years old. I bought about 15 things off E-bay last week, and of the five I've got in so far, I'm going to sell at least three of them. It's going to be a long process of figuring out what I really like, and learning how to shop smarter. I've already learned that E-bay sellers like to place things in "creative lighting" to make them look better or different.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by in stitches
laugh.gif

lol8[1].gif

Well, its easter weekend so I didnt want to get too heady, but the factory is not in Calabria - although that is where Gianni was born.

The factories are in several places in and around Milan, and a few in Switzerland. Nowadays, Versace menswear products are made in two main factories, with the names Inco and Alias. Inco makes the couture line stuff, as they are a Zegna branch, and Alias makes the "cheaper" line stuff.

However, back when this shirt was produced, there were a few different factories that were making the V2 line stuff. V2 was sometimes produced in a collaboration with Zegna (which is comparable to todays "Z" Zegna stuff). The line had high expectations and Versace started a partnership with Zegna, under the name Veze. (VErsace ZEgna). However, after diffusing itself into at least 10 second lines (Versace couture, Versace intensive, Versace jeans couture, Versace Intimo, Versus, Versace classic V2, Versace sport, Versace Bambini (kids), Versace mare (swim), Versatile (made for + sized women - seriously) and more - they realized they were hemmorhaging money and quickly ended the expensive Zegna partnership and the V2 line folded.

Interestingly enough, a few years ago the V2 aesthetic was reintroduced as the new "Versace Classic" line which is made in the same vein as the V2 line, but more polished and modern. This line is currently flooding Bloomingdales (and anyone who has been to C21 lately has seen it too) and is made like crap.

Happy Easter, bitches.
teacha.gif

lol8[1].gif

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dayam son! Take em to school

951socal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CrystalCrunch
Close to $60 including shipping. Ill take a real photo of it.

I know I need to shave and what not so keep that on the dl.

sleeves are too baggy, shirt is too big for you, and versace v2 is not all that great quality wise, i had a few shirts back in my pre-style forum days and you over paid. even a runway versace piece would've been cheaper on the fleabay. but the line has been a joke for years

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
Are these Kiton ties legit ?

Probably fake. First thing the label is misaligned, and then I went to the twelve-month history and there are a couple posts about fake or exceedingly "thin" and "cheap" Kiton ties. I'd stay away.

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those posts on his feedback history are both from the same guy... so I wouldn't give them much credence. The label, eh, I'm not sold on that - could be the way the photo or the label is aligned, and besides I'm not sure a tiny misalignment would render it fake anyway.

What alarms me more is the fact that this guy is selling hundreds and hundreds of these things... and he's got several people in his feedback who have bought ten or a dozen of them at 60-65 bucks each - 700 bucks on ties on the same day from the same seller with like 10 feedback? Really? Sure, it happens, but that many NWT ties going that cheaply makes me suspicious.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads