• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Evolution of proper shirt fit

SanktDave

Reaction score
Originally Posted by trt2000
proper changes through time. Same as suit gorges, shirt collars, and other things. There is I think a sweet spot where if you never change a thing, you will at least be within the sphere of contemporary thinking.

I guess this was the response i was hoping for. After sifting through pages of the WAYWT Ive come to the conclusion that proper shirt fit is personal but since im new to the subject of style im naturely unsure. Some advocate the almost tight that your body buckles fit and others the looser fit where the shirt drapes around the body. It seems on sf that a looser fit almost means a coming of mature or older age. Other threads deal with what constitutes a perfect fit but they dont signify that a shirt fit is in truth truly personal and wheter the current need for tailored tight fit shirts are a fad brought on by ads and etc.

I apoligize for any grammatical errors, English is obviously not my first language.

6stringsakc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rufino
That picture seems choped or pinned on the back as most of the pictures of the catalogues.

Agree. The waist area looks absolutely painted on. With no stretch to the shirt, he won't be able to move his arms at all without pulling his shirt out.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrjames
maybe a little big- not huge, but not exactly tailored

this is about what i'd consider to be good fit
pPOLO2-6677603_standard_t240.jpg

lol

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

just to clarify the aesthetic i'm after, it's somewhere between dior homme and normality. I guess this probably runs counter to what SF usually looks for, if my shirts fit like this (but with shorter sleeves) i'd be happy
ifz9g2.png

what does, uh, number 2 suppose to show
confused.gif

jcmeyer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just to clarify the aesthetic i'm after...if my shirts fit like this (but with shorter sleeves) i'd be happy

Seems you'd have to have little to no chest definition to get a fit like that. And even then you wouldn't be able to move your arms much, which would, i suppose, make it possible for you to keep said physique. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
smile.gif

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mrjames = hermes man?
a good fit is somewhere between that rl model whose shirt is painted on his body, and that dead hollywood twink everyone seems to worship

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
agreed that the sleeves are short, and maybe the waist could be taken in. But the arm holes are already as high as I think they can physically get, they do cut into my underarms! I'd have argued that the shoulders weren't wide enough, i prefer a more structured look- maybe one day i'll get shoulder padding put into a shirt

just to clarify the aesthetic i'm after, it's somewhere between dior homme and normality. I guess this probably runs counter to what SF usually looks for, if my shirts fit like this (but with shorter sleeves) i'd be happy
ifz9g2.png

This "look" is sickening and so end of last decade.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Kraftwerk?

oaw01

Reaction score

That fit only works with cotton/elastine mix shirts. I have a few 100% cotton shirts with that fit and I can't ******* move.

oaw01

Reaction score
agreed that the sleeves are short, and maybe the waist could be taken in. But the arm holes are already as high as I think they can physically get, they do cut into my underarms! I'd have argued that the shoulders weren't wide enough, i prefer a more structured look- maybe one day i'll get shoulder padding put into a shirt

ifz9g2.png

dude needs a steak

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Uh... no.

it's not unrealistic by any means (imo), skin tight but tailored so the seams line up perfectly with the joints, yeah it is probably pinned at the back, but the photos I posted are not that far off the RL fit. Yes there is a comfort tradeoff- and the tailoring is so hard to get right as 1/4 inch really makes or breaks the fit. But it is achievable without pins

2rm7eya.jpg

Not at all the same fit.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to clarify the aesthetic i'm after, it's somewhere between dior homme and normality. I guess this probably runs counter to what SF usually looks for, if my shirts fit like this (but with shorter sleeves) i'd be happy
ifz9g2.png

Good luck breathing and doing everyday activities, including driving.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trompe le Monde
a good fit is somewhere between that rl model whose shirt is painted on his body, and that dead hollywood twink everyone seems to worship
James Dean or Heath Ledger? And what did either of them have to do with shirt fits?
Originally Posted by David Reeves
This "look" is sickening and so end of last decade.
Take out the "H" buckle and I don't see anything passÃ
00a9.png
about it unless the frame of reference is strictly limited to the runway.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads