• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hickey Freeman Suit Question

Lyon_BC

Reaction score
I was wondering if I could get a little help identifying if this particular Hickey Freeman jacket is of good quality, as I know Hickey-Freeman has a lower line (LTD) but is the "collection" line worthwhile?( I did a search but found conflicting opinions on this issue)....the jacket is in excellent condition.. here are some pics, any help identifying this coat is greatly appreciated.

Here's a links to some pics:

http://photobucket.com/Lyon_BC

Larson McCord

Reaction score
It's a suit jacket. It's good quality and fully canvassed in my experience but I would not buy it unless it was a suit.

Lyon_BC

Reaction score
Alright, thanks good to know I guess....the pants were ripped when I saw them....could this be worn as a SC possibly or is that taboo?

951socal

Reaction score
You Bought this in a Thrift store didn't you?

Anyway Hockey Freeman suits have a model name printed on the inside pocket tag, Canturberry is my favorite older model, as it had natural shoulders, thicker weight wool.

the model was discontinued somwhere in 2005? current replacment model is the "madison" model, thinner wool, thinner jacket and paded shoulders.

See the cross stiching on the label and store name? means its about 20 years old, the type written print with the cotton like tag versus the newer Toner based ink and plastic tag are evidence of this as well.

First suit i picked up (about 2 years ago) was a vintage canturberry in a charcoal prince of wales print. Still one of my favorite suits.

As for what its worth? It's not worth the wool its made out of, seriously nobody would even take it to make "reclaimed" wool out of it.

Its a great qulity jacket, but they go for less than $500 in all nordstrom racks across the nation, and the mens warehouse sells them like hot cakes at $250 during their 2 for 1 deals including tailoring (you're jsut paying for alterations at that point with a free suit!)

However thats the newer stuff that i personally feel is cheaper quality. I doubt people know enough about hickey freeman to even consider the old stuff (its not a higher end suiting brand)

as for your question on can you wear it as a sport coat? the answer is yes, however this is also the answer to can you wear our pants as a sport coat, it will look out of place.

Lyon_BC

Reaction score
Yea, I picked it up at the thrift store, the jacket's small for me that's the only problem...and I wish the pants had been in as good condition as the coat b/c they had a couple moth holes in them...but thanks a lot for the detailed answer....I guess I'll just have to hold it
confused.gif

951socal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lyon_BC
Yea, I picked it up at the thrift store, the jacket's small for me that's the only problem...and I wish the pants had been in as good condition as the coat b/c they had a couple moth holes in them...but thanks a lot for the detailed answer....I guess I'll just have to hold it
confused.gif

Haha yeah, its hard to get into vintage clothing, a lot of it is expensive (good stuff) and all the cheap stuff is cheap for a reason.

Hey at least you learned your lesson with just a sport coat, i sort of stopped seeking out clothing, but before i did i was out there buying a few hundred dollars worth of junk, like Brooks brothers shirts that were dated, and a bunch of licensed Christian Dior and YSL stuff.

Generally leave the suits on the rack unless they havea recent KITON label on them haha
ffffuuuu.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads