• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

srgprod

Reaction score
Originally Posted by srgprod
That's perfect! If it isn't too much trouble, pls pickit up for me... Much obliged.
Whoa. I see from your Buy & Sell post that these run really large. So please don't get those 34/30's. I think I'll buy your 32's if your measurements are accurate

srgprod

Reaction score
Originally Posted by randomkoreandude
yeah everything rrl pants wise runs big and they stretch w/ wear
Thanks so much for the info. Much appreciated.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
limited edish no big.

RI0gO.jpg

IRsT2.jpg

GjvPF.jpg

VLmad.jpg

selvage buckleback? i'd heard of it, never seen it till now.
5b4EC.jpg

it's a bourgeoisie's fantasy about the "common man"

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wEstSidE
limited edish no big.

Question is: did you kop? Second question is who actually buys these ultra-distressed items at full retail? Is there someone walking around Hollywood in these?

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they are in my posession
who buys at full retail? i don't know, my income doesn't allow for that privelege. i suspect wealthy LA types and possibly some japanese. heavy distressing is an OG ura-hara style and is still popular (e.g. Hysteric Glamour, NBHD, Fragment x Levi's, etc.)

deez nuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i need to get some of my RRL jeans and chinos hemmed. do u guys recommend getting a euro hem or chain stitch? i was doing a little research, as i didnt know what either alteration was exactly. i understand what a euro hem is now (the cuff looks exactly the same after the hem), but still a little confused about a chain stitch... what do u guys do when you need alterations?

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chainstitching is popular on jeans because it enhances the roping effect. Google image it and you'll see what it is. Its when the hem fades like a rope.

Anyway, a regular lock stitch can achieve the same effect. The chainstitch works because of the way the machine pulls on the fabric or some such techno mumbo jambo. Basically, if you can get a lock stitch machine to do the same thing, you'll get the same result. And to add more food for thought, eventually the lock stitch will develop some roping, but to what extent depends upon more factors than I can handle.

So, in answer to your question. For chinos, it doesn't matter IMO. Get whatever the manufacturer put on it if you can. Otherwise, decide whether or not you actually want to hunt down someone with a Union XXXXXX whatever machine just for a chain stitch.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wEstSidE
limited edish no big.

RI0gO.jpg

IRsT2.jpg

GjvPF.jpg

VLmad.jpg

selvage buckleback? i'd heard of it, never seen it till now.
5b4EC.jpg

wow this is ridiculous, and yes "bourgeoisie's fantasy about the common man"
laugh.gif

GlenCoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by clee1982
wow this is ridiculous, and yes "bourgeoisie's fantasy about the common man"
laugh.gif

sig worthy
laugh.gif

Rayson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by deez nuts
i need to get some of my RRL jeans and chinos hemmed. do u guys recommend getting a euro hem or chain stitch? i was doing a little research, as i didnt know what either alteration was exactly. i understand what a euro hem is now (the cuff looks exactly the same after the hem), but still a little confused about a chain stitch... what do u guys do when you need alterations?
A chain-stitching service preserves rather than enhances the twined rope effect. Stick the term in google images as phx suggests. Vintage and decent vintage-style jeans have ornamental chain-stitched hems. The hems of modern mass-produced jeans are lock-stitched, which is strong and plain. If you want to shorten your jeans and keep them chain-stitched, somebody has to do them on an old machine. Far as the US goes, Self Edge have Union Specials and offer the service.

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was in the Georgetown store yesterday and they plan to get summer stuff in a few weeks. FYI.

srgprod

Reaction score
Originally Posted by deez nuts
Deez: The Euro hem uses a technique that preserves the original hem from the manufacturer. It works great and is much easier to have done than finding a chain stitch service. Costs about 1-2 $ more but worth it.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gumercindo
Was in the Georgetown store yesterday and they plan to get summer stuff in a few weeks. FYI.

has anything been marked down yet?

deez nuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks for all the tips guys. i did do some more research on the interwebz and found that lock stitching is better than chain stitching. so... for both chinos and denim, if i get them euro hemmed, will i be in good shape?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads