• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oh Hail!

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sometimes when you chase a storm things can get really interesting..... Whack by DYSong Photography, on Flickr If that's not bad enough you call up the latest radar image on the laptop and find out the storm you're chasing looks like this and has some really nasty characteristics. Never mind the fact that it's tornadic or anything like that. The car is getting hit with golf ball size hail and it's getting worse.(You'll need to look at the original image on my Flickr page to read the storm details) TVS by DYSong Photography, on Flickr Backing up on a road in a hail storm is not advisable but neither is sitting there and getting mashed by hail this size...... Getting Worse by DYSong Photography, on Flickr Once the hail stopped I continued down the road and found stuff like this. I'm real happy I didn't decide to core punch to get to the tornado. Hail this size is the stuff of nightmares and will kill you and destroy a car in seconds. I measured hail stones that were over 4 inches in diameter. That's a grapefruit and I'm sure there were some softball sized stuff laying around as well..... Oh Hail! by DYSong Photography, on Flickr The best part is I didn't even have to punch the core to get where I wanted to be. Off in the distance about 4 miles away was a good sized wall cloud that was slowly rotating away. It didn't produce a tornado until about a half hour later but there was no real way to keep chasing the storm so I just watched for a while and enjoyed an awesome sunset and drive home. Wall Cloud over Hermann Mo by DYSong Photography, on Flickr It was a good chase.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
Jeebus!
I was saying a whole lot more than that once I started getting hit by it. Last Tuesday I chased down the storms that produced the Bowling Green MO tornadoes. I didn't run into big hail on that one. I was too busy staying out of the way of an EF3 tornado though. It was awesome being about 500 yards away from it. It was chewing things up pretty good.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by olualbert
You've got a lot time in your hands....
I've been a spotter for the weather service for 35 years. When I can chase I chase and this one blew up 10 miles from me around 6 pm.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS
Your hands look too soft and tender in this picture.
tounge.gif

lol8[1].gif
I use Dawn to wash my dishes.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
reminds me of hail storm my family drove through in the rocky mountains one summer, crazy stuff!

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I was in a storm in Dallas about 10 years ago that produced hail bigger than any of the pictures in the OP. It was crazy - my lawn was blanketed with softball-sized ice and it sounded like an army was running across my roof. I could hear glass breaking from every direction and every car and roof in the neighborhood was destroyed. Luckily, my car was in the garage and my roof was insured.

emptym

Reaction score
Amazing. Glad you're alright.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by in stitches
reminds me of hail storm my family drove through in the rocky mountains one summer, crazy stuff!

We were out in Montana one August. Hotter than Hades, but dark clouds came a rollin' and the sky opened up, not rain, but hail (not Crane-sized, more like golf balls) Cracked a bunch of windshields, but the cool part was the accumulation - in what seemed like no time there was 6 inches on the ground. Quicker than it came it disappeared!
marchal.gif

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This was a good thread.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Geez.

Oh, and why is hail always the size of something else?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads