• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ambrosi Napoli

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
IIRC, Spoo's was MTM. Impressive.

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Please .... There's at least one wrinkle on Spoo's shirt, where the sleeve joins the shirt near the armpit. He might as well throw it away! Seriously, can we now digress into a discussion of why one would put a monogram on the front lower quarter of the shirt (or at all, for that matter)?

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big A
Please .... There's at least one wrinkle on Spoo's shirt, where the sleeve joins the shirt near the armpit. He might as well throw it away! Seriously, can we now digress into a discussion of why one would put a monogram on the front lower quarter of the shirt (or at all, for that matter)?
IIRC, Spoo and his daughter have the same initials and he got that shirt when she was born (or on her birthday). In that context, that is perfectly ok.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I love that shirt.

...and Sri has the memory of an elephant. If you really want to know, Big A - Mrs. Spoo and I got engaged in Paris, and when we went back after BabySpoo was born, I wanted to get a MTM Charvet shirt in pink with my (our) initials on it, so down the road, after Im long gone, she could wear her Daddy's shirt and remember me. Its the only monogrammed piece I have, and plan to get.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
I love that shirt.

...and Sri has the memory of an elephant. If you really want to know, Big A - Mrs. Spoo and I got engaged in Paris, and when we went back after BabySpoo was born, I wanted to get a MTM Charvet shirt in pink with my (our) initials on it, so down the road, after Im long gone, she could wear her Daddy's shirt and remember me. Its the only monogrammed piece I have, and plan to get.

No more Babyspoos in the future?

BrooklynWeGoHard

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mmkn
^ The same woman made this shirt, from Dormeuil linen. It is easy to see how the linen, with more structure, would give a better idea of how the shirt fits compared to cotton.

That written, she made two try on shirts out of scrap cotton before this one. Still, lateral and sagittal sleeve pictches were still being fine tuned for the long sleeves shirts.

ftw7E.jpg

ZOjm0.jpg

r3gJR.jpg

- M

dont like the collar, but great shirt

BrooklynWeGoHard

Reaction score
I love that shirt.

win

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Could someone tell me the price of an Ambrosi shirt and does he visit Chicago? I lurked and searched but couldn't find this information.

_AMD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
Could someone tell me the price of an Ambrosi shirt and does he visit Chicago? I lurked and searched but couldn't find this information.

I believe it's $1000, but they don't rotate the shoulder enough, so it's not worth it.

Hope that helps.

Aaron

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
/all shirt discussion.

That is the best fitting shirt that has ever been posted I assert that it cannot be topped.

Matthew makes shirts that fit and look like this and not from linen but in light weight cotton. Have only seen the shirts he wears himself. Never seen one on anyone else but I can say that his own shirts fit and look this good.

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love that shirt. ...and Sri has the memory of an elephant. If you really want to know, Big A - Mrs. Spoo and I got engaged in Paris, and when we went back after BabySpoo was born, I wanted to get a MTM Charvet shirt in pink with my (our) initials on it, so down the road, after Im long gone, she could wear her Daddy's shirt and remember me. Its the only monogrammed piece I have, and plan to get.
Great story. It was actually a joke (that's why I said "digress") - I don't have strong feelings about monograms one way or the other, but it's been a heated topic here occasionally. Since we had slipped from pants to racism/classism to shirts, monograms seemed the next area ripe for a *****-fest. I thought we might hit them all in one thread

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
You're so polite about it...lol

Serious comment here now: I think the fact that the cost is so high (whether its pants and Kabbaz's shirts-not Mantons) that makes people who don't own one to obsess about "perfection". When it comes down to it, nothing will ever be "perfect" as they are products crafted by mere mortals. I also think that personal preference also comes into play. I think there's a bigger gap between almost and perfect than there is between bad and good, because the closer you get to perfection, the more you look for it, and the more you find wrong. Hope that makes sense.

I think this is totally true. The best makers have high price points not only because of expensive materials and labour but because people will pay them. Thats not me taking a pop at these businesses I say good luck to them, and they probably deserve it if they are say 100 years old and have been building a reputation and business. They are at the top of there game in supply and demand. I would like to get here myself at some point.......give it a 100 years
laugh.gif

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley

I am sorry, but it is a myth that there's an actual difference between the fit of good mtm and bespoke shirts...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads