• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

John Kent Odd Coat

andreyb2

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

Here is an odd coat John Kent cut for me.

fee26000dac8.jpg

I post it here for two reasons:

1) To present an example of Mr Kent's work -- which, to my knowledge, is not readily available on the forums.
2) To solicit your feedback -- it proved to be extremely useful in the past.

This is the first coat John made for me. Cloth is W Bill shetland tweed. We had two fittings during my 10 days stay in London. Then I got the coat by mail, and noticed a few small problems after a couple of wearings. They were all agreed upon and fixed during my second visit to London. So, in effect I had something similiar to three fittings.

One interesting thing is the shape of the breast pocket. Initially, I disliked it (considering it to be too "squarish"), and wanted it to be changed. After discussion with John, though, I decided to give it a chance, and try for a year -- with the agreement that he will change the pocket (make it narrower) if I would still want so. John believes that this shape is more "old and traditional", "like they were in the 30s".

Andrey

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It looks like you are carrying stuff in the pockets. If so, take it out and it will look pretty good IMO.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by andreyb2
Gentlemen,

Here is an odd coat John Kent cut for me.

fee26000dac8.jpg

I post it here for two reasons:

1) To present an example of Mr Kent's work -- which, to my knowledge, is not readily available on the forums.
2) To solicit your feedback -- it proved to be extremely useful in the past.

This is the first coat John made for me. Cloth is W Bill shetland tweed. We had two fittings during my 10 days stay in London. Then I got the coat by mail, and noticed a few small problems after a couple of wearings. They were all agreed upon and fixed during my second visit to London. So, in effect I had something similiar to three fittings.

One interesting thing is the shape of the breast pocket. Initially, I disliked it (considering it to be too "squarish"), and wanted it to be changed. After discussion with John, though, I decided to give it a chance, and try for a year -- with the agreement that he will change the pocket (make it narrower) if I would still want so. John believes that this shape is more "old and traditional", "like they were in the 30s".

Andrey

just my opinion. all three patch pockets seem too big. they are over powering the coat.

andreyb2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
It looks like you are carrying stuff in the pockets. If so, take it out and it will look pretty good IMO.

Yes, as far as I remember, a mobile phone in right one and an iPod in left one. One of the reasons why I decided to have patch pockets is to carry things around.

Originally Posted by a tailor
just my opinion. all three patch pockets seem too big. they are over powering the coat.

Maybe you are right... It is hard to imagine during initial order how the whole thing will look in the end... well, at least for me.

Do you think that smaller patch pockets (or at least smaller breast pocket) would help to mitigate this "overpowering" effect?

Andrey

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do you think that smaller patch pockets (or at least smaller breast pocket) would help to mitigate this "overpowering" effect?

Andrey

yes...and also not carrying things in the pockets. use the inside jacket pockets..

banis

Reaction score

Andrey

This effect is probably caused by the shape and how patches are located on the coat.
Originally Posted by ter1413
yes...and also not carrying things in the pockets. use the inside jacket pockets..
Those are pockets and are meant that random **** would be carried there. However, I try not to carry anything in the suit jackets.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
You look a little "hippy". Not sure if that's body shape or if cutting could help.

I agree, get the stuff out of the pockets. Carry stuff in your inside pockets. That's what they're for. Does not mess up the line of the coat.

If that doesn't solve the problem, perhaps you could use more shoulder extension to balance out the hips.

I think I would prefer to see a much more rounded patch shape. The size per se does not bother me. The squareness looks vintage in a bad way.

Overall it fits superbly, I must say.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
perhaps you could use more shoulder extension to balance out the hips. I think I would prefer to see a much more rounded patch shape. Overall it fits superbly, I must say.
I agree with these points. I might also add making the lapels a touch wider especially if you extend the shoulders a touch. The quality of the fabric can be seen even in the photo. Enjoy it and thanks for posting!

em36

Reaction score
That is a very nice coat. I had two suits made at John Kent on Stafford St. when Darren Beaman was there. These are fantastic, my wife loves them.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha, I have to laugh at people who say not to put things in the outside pockets. That is exactly what they are for. Sure they don't make a great fit pick when they are utilized, but day to day having stuff in them is just fine. They are not purely aesthetic. The coat looks great by the way.

andreyb2

Reaction score
You look a little "hippy". Not sure if that's body shape or if cutting could help.

Yes, I am.
blush.gif

Not sure this can be fixed with cutting (of a coat, not my body!
butbut.gif
), but still a good topic to discuss with the tailor. Thanks!

I agree, get the stuff out of the pockets. Carry stuff in your inside pockets. That's what they're for. Does not mess up the line of the coat.

Originally Posted by Slewfoot
I agree with these points. I might also add making the lapels a touch wider especially if you extend the shoulders a touch.

OK, no stuff in the pockets, I promise!
laugh.gif

Manton, Slewfoot, em36, landshark, thank you for the nice comments.

Andrey

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You look a little "hippy". Not sure if that's body shape or if cutting could help . . . perhaps you could use more shoulder extension to balance out the hips.

Along this line of thought I would add a some thoughts to distract the eyes away from your hips. It's a trade off, obviously.

1 - Slightly wider/fuller lapels. Would cover a small part of your breast pocket.

2 - Collar angle [where it meets the lapel gorge line] more obtuse [90-180 degrees] than acute [0-90]. An acute one [fishmouth or whatever it is called] adds "downward effects" to the your shoulders, hips, and lapel gorge line.

- M

Re: Scruff's comments, for whatever reason I no longer have the Lounge's shortcut on my internet shortcut bar. Not enough return for time spent on the interwebz, I suppose.

ctp120

Reaction score
IMHO:

Fit seems fine, though I agree that more shoulder extension might mitigate the "hippy" appearance. It's the styling that's off to me. I would want to change pocket size, shape and location (I think their proximity to the sides of your hips compounds the hippy-ness too); lapel and notch shape; and the disproportionately narrow sleeves relative to how the coat fits through the body.

To reiterate, your tailor is obviously more than competent at getting the fit right; it's the styling choices (obviously more subjective, in a sense) which bug me.

Edit: I know you didn't ask for this input, but I also think a white shirt with more spread and a taller collar band would really help the look too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads