• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
Sorry, I am speaking of mostly high end stereo equipment from boutique brands that are not mass produced-- e.g. loudspeakers that cost $20,000+ from companies like Wilson Audio, not brands like Denon which can be purchased at Best Buy.

I will admit to ignorance about the category of headphones though.

Sorry, I was only teasing because I found it funny to read you recommend an American product over a Japanese one
redface.gif

NameBack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
NB what's a good price for them? Hard to believe denon can make a quality product.

I forget these days, I think I got mine for like $250?

They're really fantastic cans. I don't think there's a better over-ear headphone out there outside of stuff that needs to be amped.

Unfortunately they don't benefit much from amping, so I have way more setup than I need for them, but I guess having a nice DAC never hurts.

NameBack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PaulYAY
I have the AHD2000s as well. It's weird because I bought them on Amazon a few months ago for around $225 and now they're selling for $350. Sound quality is a little disappointing, but I don't have them amped.

Honestly, I would say that unless you're using them directly out of a laptop, a DAC is going to get you more mileage.

Definitely they don't require amping out of an iPhone -- although iPhones generally have better amps than most laptops.

NameBack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
Sorry, I am speaking of mostly high end stereo equipment from boutique brands that are not mass produced-- e.g. loudspeakers that cost $20,000+ from companies like Wilson Audio, not brands like Denon which can be purchased at Best Buy.

I will admit to ignorance about the category of headphones though.

Yeah I mean there is a lot of stuff better than Denon in the headphone market that is really niche -- if you're willing to spend a shitload of money on amps and sources.

I have a pretty nice amp set-up that I planned on pairing with more sets of cans, but then I was broke, and then when I got money I started spending it on clothes instead, so it never happened.

But yeah I mean you can spend a shitload of money on some electrostats and a $30,000 tube amp.

NameBack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by filcol
I have those too, they are fine
biggrin.gif

But I prefer my HD650.

They're next on my list.

I think the D2000s are pretty much an ideal starter headphone for most people though. They're great with no or minimal amping, and frankly I think they're more neutral than anything else at that price-range.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
best closed ear phones for hip hop on iphone under 100

thanks boiz

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
no idea how these rank but i use closed ear akg during travels and the bass output is pretty nice especially for being small

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I currently use Etymotic Research ER-4 in-ear headphones when flying on planes. They are really great in this context since even with fairly soft music you rarely hear any plane noise. http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er4.html A few years back I tried listening to various over the ear headphones at a store. I don't recall the exact models, but Denon and Grado were among them. The sound was just so muddy compared to the highly detailed and clear Etymotics that I walked away dismayed and unimpressed. The only thing I don't like about Etymotics is the lack of impact in the bass. The ultra low frequencies are definitely there as good as anything else, but there is often an odd lack of impact to it. But outside of this one shortcoming, I have a difficult time imagining ANY of these other headphones can beat the detail and clarity. I had been thinking about trying the more expensive Ultimate Ears in-ear phones hoping they'd provide both extreme clarity and bass impact, but ever since Logitech bought them I have doubts.

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just got a Filson red label tote from Urban, looks great, but the canvas is thinner and not waxed like the regular Filson tote. Probably still last longer than most things I own.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
I currently use Etymotic Research ER-4 in-ear headphones when flying on planes. They are really great in this context since even with fairly soft music you rarely hear any plane noise.

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er4.html

A few years back I tried listening to various over the ear headphones at a store. I don't recall the exact models, but Denon and Grado were among them. The sound was just so muddy compared to the highly detailed and clear Etymotics that I walked away dismayed and unimpressed.

The only thing I don't like about Etymotics is the lack of impact in the bass. The ultra low frequencies are definitely there as good as anything else, but there is often an odd lack of impact to it. But outside of this one shortcoming, I have a difficult time imagining ANY of these other headphones can beat the detail and clarity.

I had been thinking about trying the more expensive Ultimate Ears in-ear phones hoping they'd provide both extreme clarity and bass impact, but ever since Logitech bought them I have doubts.

Good input, what's a good price for these? I do want good bass though seems you can't have both. Collecting data at this point for when the time comes I want to get something nice.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
I currently use Etymotic Research ER-4 in-ear headphones when flying on planes.

I really like their earplugs. I use them at pretty much every concert I go to, since I enjoy being able to hear, and I'm not a big fan of having my ears ring after a show.

Also,
gp814589-02vliv01.jpg
gp814588-00vliv01.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads