• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So I got a Burberry Prorsum 2011 Biker Jacket...

xccx

Reaction score
I have had my eye out for the perfect leather jacket for a few years now. I always liked the Slimane Dior Homme, but they are hard to come by, and when I did find one on Ebay, it was hard to pull the trigger on such an expensive item without seeing it. I love the classic Schott Perfectos, especially the new lighter weight versions, but other than those I have been relatively uninspired and unmotivated to purchase. I tried and failed to get a Vanson X Junya biker jacket, which is probably ok because I wasn't sold on the laced back.

Anyway, Burberry Prorsum SS11 blew me away. I haven't seen a biker jacket even come close to those jackets. Living in CA, it was difficult if not impossible to actually find one of those jackets. The one I had my eye on is the tumbled leather cropped biker:

http://uk.burberry.com/store/menswea...-biker-jacket/

IMHO, this is one of the coolest biker jackets in recent history due to its timeless style and modern details. It took some dilligence, but I found one in my size and now I own it. I must say, it is an amazing garment. It probably weighs close to 10 lbs, the leather is thick but soft, and the hardware is, well, hard as nails. I was secretly hoping that when I took it out of the box that it wouldn't fit because then I could say I tried and I could just return it and get my money back from this very contentious purchase.

But it fits perfectly.

So here's my issue. (Surprisingly, it's not buyers remorse. I have been kind of preparing myself mentally for this for a few years and while it is the most $$ I've spent on any piece of clothing by a longshot, I kind of see it as an investment (and I actually do ride a motorcycle).)

I kind of feel like this jacket may attract a bit too much attention. In some ways it's very empowering to wear, but in other ways it's kind of like wearing a saddle or something. It's heavy and has lots of buckles and zippers. If I lived in NYC, or somewhere in Europe it may not be so weird, but in San Francisco I get a bit self conscious. I can't say this has happened to me before. No one has made any remarks or anything, other than a friend who jokingly (but seriously) said it looks like it belongs at the Folsom Street Fair. I can see that ... which is where my hesitation lies. It's a damn badass jacket. I mean it's one serious BADASS jacket...but I'm a little afraid to wear it.

Make any sense?

linkinwayne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's an okay jacket.

And it's not that extreme. If you're feeling self-conscious wearing it, maybe you shouldn't.
smile.gif

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If it doesn't feel good (to wear, and to look at in the mirror) then it's not good for you. end of story.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how did you afford it? let me see your tax return.

i think what you're trying to say is that you feel like a leather daddy when you're wearing it. i'm not going to try to inform you based on your sexuality, personality, or whatever else. judgement call.

Dbear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you say its heavy, it might be the case wear the jacket is wearing you, and not the other way around. This might come through on the way you carry yourself while you wear it, which might have lead to your friends taking a swipe at you (folsom street fair), as oppposed to giving you a compliment. But this is all speculation on my part...

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you post some fit pics we can help you a lot more. judging by the long post and the style of the jacket, it really seems like you are too self-conscious in the garment. The safe thing to do now is to return it or sell it though it may not be the right thing to do.

hhenryhhh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wEstSidE
how did you afford it? let me see your tax return. i think what you're trying to say is that you feel like a leather daddy when you're wearing it. i'm not going to try to inform you based on your sexuality, personality, or whatever else. judgement call.
Well he does live in San Francisco. woof woof

thatguymj

Reaction score
The jacket seems fine to me, if you like that sorta style.

I honestly don't see how you would feel at all 'out of place' with that in SF. I live near/work in SF often and I don't think you'd stand out at all wearing that. I think it comes down to whether it works well with the rest of your look and if you think you look good wearing it.

steveoffice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
If it doesn't feel good (to wear, and to look at in the mirror) then it's not good for you. end of story.

+1 why waste 2k to feel self concious. shouldnt a grail item have the opposite effect? Sick leather nevertheless. Give it to me and ill rock it without problem here in the midwest
devil.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads