• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hartmann vs. Glaser Designs vs. Lotuff & Clegg

dan'l

Reaction score
I've always wanted to have a Hartmann bag, ever since my parents gifted my sister a suitcase set. I was so jealous! Anyways, I'm thinking of getting the Hartmann Belting Leather Valise:

http://www.hartmann.com/shop/productDetail-sku-1030

Does anyone have any experience with Hartmann's belting leather? My only hang-up about the bag is that it is made in China. Don't get me wrong, I have no problems with products made in China, but I feel that there should at least be some sort of cost advantage, which I do not see here.

I am also considered other duffels, for example one from Glaser Designs or Lotuff & Clegg. They are a bit more expensive, but made in the States. I've read that Hartmann bags develop a nice patina and that the belting leather is especially durable. Does this also hold true for the other two bags?

Anyone have one of these bags and would like to share their thoughts (and pictures of their bags)?

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You would be hard pressed to find a bag maker better than Glaser, IMO, especially for the money. It's not Hermes, but not far off either. If his bags were sitting on the shelves of high end retail stores, the price would easily be justified at 10 fold what he sells them for now. And you can modify the bag to suit your particular needs.

dan'l

Reaction score
The GD duffel sure is nice, though one drawback I see is the relatively small opening, as compared to the Hartmann or L&C.

What do you mean exactly by "modify?" From what I can see on their website, the available options seem to be just various organizers. Or are you referring to a full custom order?

I cannot seem to find any pictures of GD products IRL. I'm wondering how they look after some wear.

alexanduh

Reaction score
i personally like lotuff and clegg though i cant vouch for their quality having never bought one.

dan'l

Reaction score
From what I can see on the L&C website, their duffels have no lining. I'm concerned that if a water bottle were to leak in there, for example, that it would soak through the leather and leave a stain. It seems so much better to have a lining.

I guess I am just too picky!

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dan'l
The GD duffel sure is nice, though one drawback I see is the relatively small opening, as compared to the Hartmann or L&C.

What do you mean exactly by "modify?" From what I can see on their website, the available options seem to be just various organizers. Or are you referring to a full custom order?

I cannot seem to find any pictures of GD products IRL. I'm wondering how they look after some wear.

They look great. Mine is over a year old and the finish is easy to maintain.

JakeLA

Reaction score
I'd rather have an $80 travel backpack that holds twice as much as that duffel, is waterproof, lighter, contains a zillion pockets, keeps clothes less-wrinkled, is designed for modern air travel, and is infinitely easier to carry , but if you feel the need to impress strangers at the airport with your old-timey railroad satchel, I vote for the glaser.

sf_esq

Reaction score
Having visited the Glaser Designs showroom, I can vouch for their excellent quality and workmanship and very fair pricepoint. The issue I had was the logo. I didn't want a bag with a logo and they would not make one for me without it. So I passed.

I have to also mention that I purchased a ballistic nylon work bag from Hartman at a huge discount almost 10 years ago. I figured it would last a couple of years. I have carried it nearly every day for the last decade and have not been gentle with it and it's still in excellent condition. For the price, you cannot beat the quality.

dan'l

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JakeLA
I'd rather have an $80 travel backpack that holds twice as much as that duffel, is waterproof, lighter, contains a zillion pockets, keeps clothes less-wrinkled, is designed for modern air travel, and is infinitely easier to carry , but if you feel the need to impress strangers at the airport with your old-timey railroad satchel, I vote for the glaser.

Ha ha, nicely put. However, I really dislike backpacks, unless I'm going hiking.

dan'l

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sf_esq
I have to also mention that I purchased a ballistic nylon work bag from Hartman at a huge discount almost 10 years ago. I figured it would last a couple of years. I have carried it nearly every day for the last decade and have not been gentle with it and it's still in excellent condition. For the price, you cannot beat the quality.

I've heard this many times with respect to Hartmann. My sister's tweed suitcase set still looks very nice, after nearly a couple decades of wear. I'm wondering if their newer stuff made in China holds up as well.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sf_esq
Having visited the Glaser Designs showroom, I can vouch for their excellent quality and workmanship and very fair pricepoint. The issue I had was the logo. I didn't want a bag with a logo and they would not make one for me without it. So I passed. .
I've heard this before, and continue to be amazed by it. I'm so surprised that they'd be willing to lose a sale just because they want to stick their logo on the front. That would be a deal breaker for me, as well; I'd rather the item speak for itself, without that ugly logo on front. I briefly considered Glaser when I was on the hunt for my bespoke piece, but wasn't thrilled with the selection or types of leathers, the colors available, or the customization options that were available to me. The logo thing would have been another issue, but we never made it that far. From my brief examination of their goods.... I think the pricepoint and quality are great, for what it is, but I definitely don't think it's in Hermes territory, or would be worth it at 2-3x's the price. At $700-1000, I think you'll not find much that's better... but I think for $3000, you'd not be recommending Glaser and there are other options. For example, I also think, comparably from what I've seen, it's also not in April in Paris territory (who also works out of San Fran) in terms of details, colors, manufacture, etc. That's who I chose ultimately for my bag, and I continue to be more thrilled with the item every time I use it. That being said, it is very nice stuff infinitely nicer, at $1000, than a $1000 Gucci, Prada, or other "brand" bag. it's also better, I think than SF "favorites" like SAB or Dunhill's upper-tier stuff.

sf_esq

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
I've heard this before, and continue to be amazed by it. I'm so surprised that they'd be willing to lose a sale just because they want to stick their logo on the front. That would be a deal breaker for me, as well; I'd rather the item speak for itself, without that ugly logo on front.

I briefly considered Glaser when I was on the hunt for my bespoke piece, but wasn't thrilled with the selection or types of leathers, the colors available, or the customization options that were available to me. The logo thing would have been another issue, but we never made it that far.

From my brief examination of their goods.... I think the pricepoint and quality are great, for what it is, but I definitely don't think it's in Hermes territory, or would be worth it at 2-3x's the price. At $700-1000, I think you'll not find much that's better... but I think for $3000, you'd not be recommending Glaser and there are other options. For example, I also think, comparably from what I've seen, it's also not in April in Paris territory (who also works out of San Fran) in terms of details, colors, manufacture, etc. That's who I chose ultimately for my bag, and I continue to be more thrilled with the item every time I use it.

That being said, it is very nice stuff infinitely nicer, at $1000, than a $1000 Gucci, Prada, or other "brand" bag. it's also better, I think than SF "favorites" like SAB or Dunhill's upper-tier stuff.

Good points. At a higher pricepoint, there are more options, but agree that in the approximately $1,000 to 1,200 or less range, hard to beat Glaser. May I ask what you paid for an April in Paris bag? Does it include the bee logo? Was not familiar with her, but am intrigued.

sf_esq

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dan'l
I've heard this many times with respect to Hartmann. My sister's tweed suitcase set still looks very nice, after nearly a couple decades of wear. I'm wondering if their newer stuff made in China holds up as well.

I'll have to check where mine was made. I had heard of their declining quality when I bought mine, but am now curious where it was made.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Glasers are nice but at the $1000-1500 level I would probably choose a lower-end SAB or Daines & Hathaway.

Glasers definitely have an American aesthetic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads