• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

samblackbones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To me the craziest thing about Geof Roes is how low key his approach to training is.
His blog is great.
Today - 2 mile w/u 4 mile tempo 5:45 5:45 5:43 5:43 w/ 2 mile cool down.
The tempo was definitely hard but not impossible. Based on how it felt I think I could maybe go after a 10k this weekend at 5:40 pace.
I will run a shake out later tonight - probably like 4 miles.

about11oclock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
4 miles in a loop to the smoked salmon factory for delicious protein. 4 tomorrow in central park then either 13 or 19.5 sunday at the easter marathon

samblackbones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by about11oclock
4 miles in a loop to the smoked salmon factory for delicious protein. 4 tomorrow in central park then either 13 or 19.5 sunday at the easter marathon
Something called the smoked salmon factory sounds like a pretty great place to commute by run to . . .
Sounds like your training is going well - are you focusing on a specific race at the moment?
9 for me tonight slowwwwww on the hills near my folks' house. Going to be doing a fast finish long run either today or tomorrow - 12 miles easy pace followed by 6-8 at marathon pace and then 2 more at around HM pace (if possible)
For me I am thinking 7:30 pace > 6:30 pace > 6:15 pace but whatever happens I will learn about my fitness. . . .

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ran 6 KM this morning on on the treadmill at the Y.

about11oclock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by samblackbones
Something called the smoked salmon factory sounds like a pretty great place to commute by run to . . .
Sounds like your training is going well - are you focusing on a specific race at the moment?

Sam,

The smoked salmon factory isn't a codename, there is an amazing OG spot in North brooklyn called Acme. Normally a wholesaler of smoked fishes, they open fridays from 8am to noon to the public, and sell the best **** at rock bottom prices. Lox, Gravlax, pastrami salmon, honey salmon, sable, I digress. Brooklyn HMMDYRT thread meetup?

Thanks, the training is going well. I'm zeroed in on the Brooklyn 1/2, May 22nd. My goal at the moment is to be closer to 1:25 then 1:30..or maaaaybe sub-1:25?
smile.gif
After that, laser focus on BQ'ing at the NYC marathon. It's sort of scary to write these goals down, y'know? Y'all will still love me if I don't get there, right?

samblackbones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
haha I think the running love is unconditional . . . Do you need a 3:10 for boston?
Instead of a fast finish long run I went and did some LSD today (not acid though)
3.5 hours @ 7:30 pace . . .
Killer
Just under 28 miles. That will be the longest run in my buildup for SD marathon. Now I am so f-ing beat that I can barely feed myself leftover easter ham.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
6.5 miles this morning before work. Unfortunately it's supposed to rain all week long from here on out so it will be off to the gym the rest of the week if I want to get anything in in the mornings.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, it's intimidating being a running noob in this thread!

Anyway, now 5 weeks into my running career. Saturday was the first workout on the c25k plan that was 20 minutes of nonstop running. Goal was to cover 2.5 to 2.75 miles, ended up at 2 and 7/16
ffffuuuu.gif
. So close. Is it me, or does a headwind feel much more detrimental than a tailwind feels helpful?

samblackbones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't get discouraged - running will only get easier with practice. Tailwinds definitely have the effect of making you feel like your running in stagnant air sometimes, unless they are blowing hard enough to make you really feel like your floating.
8 tonight, 6 very slow to shake out on the treadmill, core workout (mediocre at best) 2 more to stay loose/get in miles.
Body feels good.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
Man, it's intimidating being a running noob in this thread!

Anyway, now 5 weeks into my running career. Saturday was the first workout on the c25k plan that was 20 minutes of nonstop running. Goal was to cover 2.5 to 2.75 miles, ended up at 2 and 7/16
ffffuuuu.gif
. So close. Is it me, or does a headwind feel much more detrimental than a tailwind feels helpful?

Keep it up man...its not easy to get started, when I first started running (about 5 years ago) I was 210 lbs and struggled to get a mile down for a while. But the weight dropped and the miles increased...its the best high.

This week saw some beautiful weather return to NYC. Easter Sunday I pounded out 8.5 in 80 degrees, and got my first burn of the year...time to get the Sunscreen out of storage. Yesterday took my son out for an easy 4.5. Turned out not so easy as the first half was into a strong headwind. Had to be careful not to do too much, as the Easter run was my first long one in a while.

From yesterday:
IMG_2669.jpg

IMG_2671.jpg

about11oclock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sam,

In their infinite magnanimity, Boston gives you 3:10:59. I will likely need every second of it in NY this fall.

6 x mile repeats this morning ~6:15/mi.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Sam and NYR. Despite not quite reaching my goal on Saturday, it actually hasn't been as bad as I expected. Credit probably goes to C25K for that...eases you in nice and slowly. Had I come up with a plan myself I likely would have overdone it at the start and become frustrated.

Don't really see myself ever going for the long distances, but would like to get to the point where I can knock out a good 5-6 miles without too much difficulty. The legs felt good Saturday; it was the cardio that was holding me back.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads