• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Panzer

Reaction score
Does anyone know how easy it is to raise the armholes of a rugby shirt yourself? Thanks

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lyon_BC
Sorry if this is a dumb question but I am thinking of buying a used pair of shell cordovans (college kid without a lot of money) but I was wondering how much it would cost to get them resoled on the heel and bottom of shoe (sorry if I used the wrong term) but I am trying to decide if it would be cost efficient to do so, as I've seen some impressive restoration pics on the site...I'd be willing to put in work to clean the uppers...

Thanks!

Might depend on where you go, but new soles and heals will be about $100 - $125 to get it done right. They aught to shine up the uppers for you in the deal.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kenneth Cole Haan
I bought some crepe soled chukka/desert boots from Brooks Brothers, wore them once, but they dont fit (as I found out). If I ship them back to return them, will Brooks honor it? (These aren't leather soles so the wear isn't obvious, and the brooks site doesn't explicitly say what condition they have to be in).

They will take anything back for any reason.

Booter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
They (Brooks Brothers) will take anything back for any reason.

Does this apply to the 346 line?

pierreyann

Reaction score
Hey I'm looking for the designer for those shoes, if anybody can help ...
gVhZR.jpg

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cronicmole
Hey if I had a shirt made and the collar was fully fused prior to me knowing..can he undo it..like take away the hardness of the collar?
nope, it's basically glued together. As far as I know it can't be undone.
Originally Posted by cronicmole
Also, can collar height be adjusted even after the shirt has already been made?
highly doubtful.
Originally Posted by Panzer
Does anyone know how easy it is to raise the armholes of a rugby shirt yourself? Thanks
Do you have a sewing machine? It's relatively simple, you just sew in along the same lines, putting in a slight taper to the sleeve and body a bit. if it's more then say 1 inch then you'll have to cut the fabric and stitch over the edges too. A tailor will probably charge about $10 or something to do it. It's not worth your time to do it by hand.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pierreyann
Hey I'm looking for the designer for those shoes, if anybody can help ...

gVhZR.jpg

Stop looking. Seriously those are despicable.

Originally Posted by Booter
Does this apply to the 346 line?

If purchased from the Outlet stores it might depend on the particular outlet. In my experience the outlets are not staffed as well as the flagship stores and not as committed to quality customer service.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kenneth Cole Haan
I bought some crepe soled chukka/desert boots from Brooks Brothers, wore them once, but they dont fit (as I found out). If I ship them back to return them, will Brooks honor it? (These aren't leather soles so the wear isn't obvious, and the brooks site doesn't explicitly say what condition they have to be in).

Brooks has a great reputation for customer service. I think you'll be fine, but you might want to call them first.

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
I just got some new buttons for a blazer. Can I take this to any ol' alterations shop? Or do I need to go to a (more advanced level) "tailor?"

photo.jpg

(got em from someone here on StyleForum

BoomDiggs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Makoto Chan
I just got some new buttons for a blazer. Can I take this to any ol' alterations shop? Or do I need to go to a (more advanced level) "tailor?"

Anyone, can do that. As a matter of fact, with a needle and thread you can easily do it and save yourself the time of running to the tailor. Just do it next time you are watching TV. It is the easiest thing to do in the world of sewing.

smk

Reaction score
Would it look alright to wear a taupe suede desert boots with khakis with colors little lighter than the dbs, with a white dress shirt, and a navy blazer?
Or should I go with darker shoes?

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
Thanks BoomDiggs! I... am... not confident about that! But I'll look into it.

One more question tonight:

This is about checking my measurements. What is an acceptable margin of error when comparing my fit to eBay listings? I measured my best-fitting jacket, and the chest width is 20 inches. There's a jacket on ebay with a width of 21 inches. Is that too large a difference?Curiously, I'm an inch off in the other direction on the shoulders. My best fit is 18 inches, the listed jacket is 17. This is an unstructured cotton jacket. What do you think?

Thanks!

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by smk
Would it look alright to wear a taupe suede desert boots with khakis with colors little lighter than the dbs, with a white dress shirt, and a navy blazer?
Or should I go with darker shoes?

Doesn't sound bad, but I think you should have something else that's a little darker to go with your jacket. Could be a tie. If you're just wearing light or white things and a navy blazer, then go with some darker shoes.

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Noticed on here from photos that people that have bought very high end shows final sale, that have holes drilled into the button to prevent returns. While I have the advantage of just buying Grensons at cost at work, I am looking at a great loafer on eBay that has to holes drilled into the bottom. They are near the heel and wouldn't touch the ground, but does this effect the shoe's wear and performance?

SartorialConductor

Reaction score
Found these today AE shoes today. I know nothing about shoes but I'm curious to learn. What are your thoughts?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads