• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Growing stuff, again.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So, I spent last weekend and today getting my vegetable area ready for planting and putting in herbs and salad. Those I know I will use, especially the lettuces which are so much better just picked. However, I have about six spaces left, some shaded, some sunny, and I can't figure what more to put in. Halp?

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm in a fairly similar climate. cool weather crops, even in summer, i've learned to my sorrow. i do grow some zucchini, but mainly for the blossoms. how about something like tarbais beans? they're ungodly expensive when you buy them. can't find that, even something like scarlet runner. shelly beans are one of the great treats of late summer.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
i'm in a fairly similar climate. cool weather crops, even in summer, i've learned to my sorrow. i do grow some zucchini, but mainly for the blossoms. how about something like tarbais beans? they're ungodly expensive when you buy them. can't find that, even something like scarlet runner. shelly beans are one of the great treats of late summer.
Does zucchini grow well? It is probably my favorite vegetable, both flower and fruit. We grew peas a few years ago, but keeping them neat is a pain. Are beans like that?

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Babypan squash - they're bushlike, prolific, and delicious.

Get an artichoke plant going, if you have enough room in a shadier part. The shady part I'm not too sure about, and those plants get pretty large.

Jerusalem artichokes and make kimchee from them.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Does zucchini grow well? It is probably my favorite vegetable, both flower and fruit. We grew peas a few years ago, but keeping them neat is a pain. Are beans like that?

Many beans don't need lattices.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It is probably my favorite vegetable,

Glad to know you like foods with terrible texture and no flavor.

ok so i have a question...I have a small backyard that gets almost completely shaded. Would like to do that one square foot gardening thing... anyone have any recommendations?

Also, I live in Atlanta, FYI.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
courgettes (holla to my french homeys) are really easy and I find them a very rewarding crop.

but you're in SF so I think you should grow some, uhh, medicine, so that Kyle may treat his glaucoma effectively.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I don't have glaucoma, yet. Just a strong heredity chance.
frown.gif

Originally Posted by HORNS
Jerusalem artichokes and make kimchee from them.
I don't think I've ever had kimchi made from sunchokes. Sounds interesting.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
I don't have glaucoma, yet. Just a strong heredity chance.
frown.gif

an ounce of prevention and all that

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
Glad to know you like foods with terrible texture and no flavor.

What kind of horrible person dislikes zucchini? They are great when really fresh. Make sure you can still feel their hairs.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
an ounce of prevention and all that

An ounce would last me a year these days. Other than Wednesday, when my roommate convinced me I had to get high b/c it was 4/20, I hadn't smoked since the new year.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Zuchini runs all over creation and if they like where you planted them you'll probably have more than you'd ever want if that matters. They're stupid-easy to grow.

Bush bean varieties are easy to deal with with the beans aren't fancy for the most part.

Can you do asparagus where you're at? How about beets? Probably too wet and cold I'm guessing.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i love zucchini. look for some of the older varieties ... costata romanesco. though older is relative when it comes to zucchini. (putting on pedant hat) zucchini is actually a very new vegetable ... first record of it right before wwi. there are, of course, older squash that somewhat resemble zucchini, but those are technically cocozelle (zucchini is a cross between cocozelle and another old family called marrow squash). look for hte ones with very dark skin.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
i used to grow squash and zucchini. they were quite large fresh herbs is a must ...

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What kind of horrible person dislikes zucchini? They are great when really fresh. Make sure you can still feel their hairs.

One who enjoys good food. Also like did you noy see who posted that?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads