• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
F* paypal says it wont let me because it's not a "good or service". I selected personal payment b/c everyone on here does that.

Am I screwed?

TheBurnOut

Reaction score
Yeah- the funny part is that the top was on upside down and looked like total shite.

I think I got this one for $25 if my memory serves me right.

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by k4lnamja
I selected personal payment b/c everyone on here does that.

Am I screwed?

Yes. You don't get any appeal rights with personal payments. I don't accept them when I'm selling, and if sellers ask for it when I'm buying, I offer to do a non-personal payment but add 3%.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
F* paypal says it wont let me because it's not a "good or service". I selected personal payment b/c everyone on here does that.

Am I screwed?

You are. And not everyone on here uses Personal Payment. I would only use it with a seller with whom I've dealt before, or a looong time, well respected member. Chalk this one up to experience.

On the other hand, were I the seller, I'd really question a claim on condition that wasn't brought up until several weeks after the buyer already acknowledged receipt and satisfaction. If you want to make an issue of the condition of an item, it had better be immediately. The fact is, if you didn't notice an issue when you first got them and examined them, how could you reasonably expect him to have noticed it?

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orgetorix
Yes. You don't get any appeal rights with personal payments. I don't accept them when I'm selling, and if sellers ask for it when I'm buying, I offer to do a non-personal payment but add 3%.

I didnt know that as I'm new to SF. I thought the rule of thumb was a personal payment.

Originally Posted by tonylumpkin
You are. And not everyone on here uses Personal Payment. I would only use it with a seller with whom I've dealt before, or a looong time, well respected member. Chalk this one up to experience.

On the other hand, were I the seller, I'd really question a claim on condition that wasn't brought up until several weeks after the buyer already acknowledged receipt and satisfaction. If you want to make an issue of the condition of an item, it had better be immediately. The fact is, if you didn't notice an issue when you first got them and examined them, how could you reasonably expect him to have noticed it?

You are 100% right. I can understand where he is coming from but I swear to you that I have not worn them AT ALL. Came home, tried it on in the house and just too big. I told him that and when he was unresponsive I decided to shine them to sell on here and that is when I noticed the gash. It's small but I should've thoroughly inspected. Lesson learned. I just hope I dont get burned.

sigh

potemkin_city_limits

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didnt know that as I'm new to SF. I thought the rule of thumb was a personal payment.

You are 100% right. I can understand where he is coming from but I swear to you that I have not worn them AT ALL. Came home, tried it on in the house and just too big. I told him that and when he was unresponsive I decided to shine them to sell on here and that is when I noticed the gash. It's small but I should've thoroughly inspected. Lesson learned. I just hope I dont get burned.

sigh

You also expressed interest in selling them before noticing the damage which also doesnt look good.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by potemkin_city_limits
You also expressed interest in selling them before noticing the damage which also doesnt look good.

Yeah, I know. *slaps hand on forehead*

Ugh

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyway Has anyone thrifted in the San Diego/Coronado/La Jolla area?? I'll be visiting so any help would be great. Once again, visiting so don't worry I wont be stealing your spots
smile.gif

Hages

Reaction score
Anyway

Has anyone thrifted in the San Diego/Coronado/La Jolla area?? I'll be visiting so any help would be great. Once again, visiting so don't worry I wont be stealing your spots
smile.gif

Your real name wouldn't be Dave Hester, would it?
laugh.gif

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Am I screwed?

if you have a credit card instead of bank acct attached to your paypal you have one more "card" to play (pardon the pun).
simply call up your CC and tell them that was not a authorized charge ,you have six months (thats why paypal puts holds up to six months on frozen accounts in case theres a chargeback).
its a bit of prick move but if you feel you were wronged do it,paypal will immeditaely credit you they do not **** with credit card companys and will not even question it.

Hages

Reaction score
Yesterday's find: I believe these are New & Lingwood's based on the address. Pretty beat-up in the back area, but not noticeable when wearing pants.
laugh.gif

They are 8.5 which I normally wear 9D...little tight but doable. I wore them to work today and they felt kinda weird. Check out the heels! I love 'em and will get the heels sorted. The laces I hate. Any suggestions on what to replace them with?

IMG-20110422-00230.jpg

IMG-20110422-00231.jpg

IMG-20110422-00232.jpg

Chico2007

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hages
They are 8.5 which I normally wear 9D...little tight but doable. I wore them to work today and they felt kinda weird. Check out the heels! Any suggestions on what to replace them with?
IMG-20110422-00232.jpg

OMG! You wore those all day? You must have had some serious swagger going on.
laugh.gif

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hages
Yesterday's find: I believe these are New & Lingwood's based on the address. Pretty beat-up in the back area, but not noticeable when wearing pants.
laugh.gif
They are 8.5 which I normally wear 9D...little tight but doable. I wore them to work today and they felt kinda weird. Check out the heels! I love 'em and will get the heels sorted. The laces I hate. Any suggestions on what to replace them with?
IMG-20110422-00232.jpg

These shoes were modified to accomodate a man with one leg shorter than the other. You have 4 options: 1) have your surgeon saw 1/2" off your left leg 2) have your cobbler put new even heels on them 3) learn to hobble with style 4) toss them in the trash. Do not wear these shoes as is.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I thought the general understanding with people is no CC payments unless they allow them since IIRC, that is what turns it into a non-personal paypal account.

a lot of people take product payments if you cover the 3%

Hages

Reaction score
I have back-up shoes at my office so thanks, I am not swagggering at the moment!

Does the soles look replaced? The heels aren't too old either! The 9-10 seems like the soles are larger than the uppers(8.5)??? The shape of the shoe doesn't look deformed although people need to use shoe horns!!

Again, any suggestions on the laces?

IMG-20110422-00235.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads