• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Golf Thread

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
MrG--you, me and karim should play a round sometime. I'll give you a call...
Sounds good to me. I'd definitely be interested in an SF golf outing. I try to invite Karim from time to time, but we've never managed to make it work. You might want to PM or FB message me, though. It'll probably work better than calling a number you don't have.
wink.gif

.bishop

Reaction score
anyone in DC metro area want to play tomorrow if the rain holds up?

0715 @ Virgina Oaks in gainsville, va

I have a twosome, and my buddy bailed

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
*sigh* i played "ok" on the front nine, then all sorts of hell broke loose on the back 9...

anyone have this problem where you completely rock out on the driving range, but on the course you just suck it up?

.bishop

Reaction score
that is just mental and practice.

your mentality on the driving range is it doesnt really matter.

what i do on the range is if i'm doing a large bucked, i'll start half of the bucket with irons and a few drivers. pick targets and try to be consistent within 10 ft.

then the other half i play a game. driver - iron - chip or driver - 3 wood - pw. mimick a course that i know and play it. pick points and targets.

dont just go to the range and swing, go for a purpose.

if you want to save your game, play par 3 courses, take nothing but a 7 iron and below. play from the furthest back and make that the most CONSISTENT part of your game.

my problem currently is 80 yards in, i am not consistent, and thinkn it has a lot to do with my new wedge, but it takes time. 80-150 yards i am pretty on point. and im solid with 160 - 240. and the driver is okay, but i dont try to kill it. i manage a 285 drive and am happy with that cause i can control it.

im blabbering but just go to the range with a purpose. when playing a round play your original ball, but if you aren't pushed from behind and are playing with some good folk, drop another ball and hit it again. the best thing an amateur can do is after a bad shot, hit a good one.

pro's aren't amazing cause they can hit it straight and so forth, its how they can recover from a bad shot.

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
funny how that works doesn't it?

at the driving range i'm focusing on how to fix my swing... on the course i'm focused on just ripping my drive out there.

I used to be a scratch golfer (in high school), but i played only 1 or 2 rounds per year in college and now my handicap is close to +30. it's just depressing to be honest.

I like your strategy with the driver iron chip or driver method. i'll try it next time!

.bishop

Reaction score
Let the club do the work ALWAYS. What's an extra 10+ yards? Most likely a bad shot
tongue.gif
Slow back swing, 75% swing. If you think you can get there with a full 9 iron play a smooth controlled 8 iron. Let us know how it goes. I was a 2 for many many years. Played up to 2 years of college then gave up for 6 years. Hard to mentally get over knowing where you were, and where you are now.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
fantasy Golf Victory Taking Snedeker. Wooooo!!!! Netted A Nice Pay Day

.bishop

Reaction score
I played piedmont country club here in VA - and man it was in pristine conditions greens were running at a 10, shot a 78.

i splurged and bought an r11 after borrowing the test club.

$500 bucks and I scoreed 3 dozen Penta's, 1 dozen ProV1x's, 1 dozen Bridgestone 330rx, taylor made r11 10.5, 5 taylormade gloves, and a titleist players towel.

my fiancee was pissed :p

anyone in the market for a Nike DYMO SQ 9.5 Stiff Flex - $75 shipped.

tesuquegolfer

Reaction score
I have a love hate relationship with GOLF. I was kicking ass for 7 holes the other day, three putts for birdie under 10 feet, a 15 ft eagle putt, a 2 ft birdie putt, then I shank 2 nine irons in a row on the 8th par 3 - W-T-F!!!!!!!!!!!
devil.gif
I am a 4 handicap but 3 to 4 holes per 18 keep me from scratch and I can't seem to figure it out.
plain.gif

.bishop

Reaction score
that's why we aren't pros

i shoot a few 78's and then out comes an 85 or 88.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
**** me, 9 holes 6 shanks. mostly long irons and 2 wedges.

Rest of it wasnt too bad, but this game sometimes is just torture...

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just revamped my set to stuff that's easier to hit... nike woods, 3iron hybrid, mizuno irons, scratch wedges (no change).

a change from titleist woods & irons...

tesuquegolfer

Reaction score
Once I got the shanks on the driving range and I was trying to show my son how to shake them but no matter what I did I shanked it. After 12 in a row I told him all one could do was grab the driver, at which point I proceeded to knock the **** out of it. Next day I went out and played great with not one shank.

A buddy of mine got the shanks on his pitch shots. Plagued the guy for months, he would putt from 40 yds of the fairway and he was a 9 handicap.

Worst feeling I've had. Everything in my swing feels great except at impact when it goes off at a 45 degree angle, just baffling!
angry.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads