• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edgar Allan Pwn
B9BnN.jpg

If you tuck in your shirt when golfing, there definitely won't be a problem. I just tried doing a golf swing and it did not come untucked. I also tried doing a power croquet swing; same results. I'm 5'9" and wear a M. The larger sizes are of course longer.

DrFaustus

Reaction score
I received my first mtm shirt from Kent last week and it is fantastic. I think he has a good system (trying his otr stuff first) in place to have a more sucessful mtm experience than blindly sending in measurements.

I ordered three more yesterday.

m.gway

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DrFaustus
I received my first mtm shirt from Kent last week and it is fantastic. I think he has a good system (trying his otr stuff first) in place to have a more sucessful mtm experience than blindly sending in measurements.

I ordered three more yesterday.

This sounds exciting. There are a couple shirts I wanted to purchase but was afraid that my arm length would be too long (15.75 neck, 35arm). I've had great experience with Kent Wang so I think I might have to give this a shot. The new polo shirts look tempting also.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Thanks DrFaustus for sharing your experience. I think the next time I need a new shirt I will try one of KW's.

Kent - for your MTM program, would you recommend sizing up or sizing down, and then providing alterations based on the fit? For example, I'm probably in between a Medium and a Large (the neck on the M will probably fit me, but I am tall and have long arms, so the L is probably a better fit in the sleeves and overall length).

Would you suggest getting the M and adding to the measurements where necessary, or trying the L and subtracting from the measurements in some areas? I'm not sure which would be easier from a measuring perspective.

DrFaustus

Reaction score
Beatlegeuse, if I may jump in and give my .02 on your question...

I purchased both a smaller and larger size. I found some of the features from the smaller shirt that worked well (sleeve length) and some in the larger size that worked. Basically, from this I was able to tell Kent that I needed the sleeve circumference between the two, but sleeve length from the smaller, etc. That's the type of info I gave him and he was able to make it work for me.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Getting a larger size would be better, but even better to get both sizes.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DrFaustus
Beatlegeuse, if I may jump in and give my .02 on your question...

I purchased both a smaller and larger size. I found some of the features from the smaller shirt that worked well (sleeve length) and some in the larger size that worked. Basically, from this I was able to tell Kent that I needed the sleeve circumference between the two, but sleeve length from the smaller, etc. That's the type of info I gave him and he was able to make it work for me.

Originally Posted by Kent Wang
Getting a larger size would be better, but even better to get both sizes.

Excellent suggestions. I'm looking forward to placing an order, probably at the beginning of next month.

Kent - one more question, do I also have my choice of collar when doing MTM? I like the semi-spread on the gingham shirts, and I also like the linen/cotton shirts, but I don't like the way its collar looks as much as the gingham. Would I be able to order the linen/cotton white stripe blue shirt, only with the semi-spread collar from the gingham shirts?

Also, will you be getting any more styles of shirts any time soon? Looks like there's only 12 options on your website right now. Thanks!

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes, any collar is possible.

I'm working on substantially increasing the number of fabrics available. Hopefully they will be available in June.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I recently received one of Kent's new polos, and I'm really impressed with it. I wanted to take a few photos to share with you all.
IMG_1034-1dragged-1.jpg
Here is Kent's polo (the one in white) next to one by Benjamin Bixby. Notice three things: First, Kent's collar is obviously spread. I think this is much, much better than the traditional collar on polos, as it gives a bit more panache. Second, Kent's polo has mother of pearl buttons while the Bixby polo uses plastic. Inside the garment is an extra mother of pearl button, in case one of these break. Kent is also willing to send you more if you ever need them. Third, there is a slightly more visible stitched seam about 1/4 away from the edge of the collar. The collar actually feels much more substantial than the one on Bixby's. In fact, you can see this when I unbutton the polos and open up the collars.
IMG_1024-1dragged-1.jpg
IMG_1025-1.jpg
The yellow polo is the same as the burgundy Bixby above, just in a different color. Notice that the collar on Kent's polo curves nicely, and also stands up a bit more. The Bixby, on the other hand, is a bit more limp. In fact, I had to fiddle with it for about five minutes just to get it to that position. It kept falling down in a way that made the picture indistinguishable from the burgundy polo above. Finally, another shot of the Kent's collar that I like:
IMG_10831-1.jpg
As far as sizing, I'm 5'10", weigh 145lbs, and have a 34.5" chest (yea, I know, I'm skinny). I picked the small but think I could have just as easily gone with the medium. I'm happy with the small, but if you were even just a smidgen bigger than me, I would definitely recommend going up to the medium. These indeed run slim. I appreciate that Kent finally gives thinner guys like me some options. Note that this post is contradictory to my self-interest. I've been selling those two Bixby polos for the last month or so. I get them for very cheap, and am able to sell them also for very cheap, so I feel like I'm still giving good deals. However, Kent's polo is clearly a superior option, and if a customer ever asked me for my opinion between the two, I would tell them to just pony up the extra funds and give them to Kent instead. These are really worth the $65. I wouldn't say it's a bad bet at all, actually, to get all four. Come this summer, you'll really get a lot of enjoyment out of them.

Hobbs

Reaction score
Kent, I take a 15.75 in your shirts and it's a very slim fit. Judging by the measurements, would an XL polo be the correct size to go for?

Thanks.

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
crap, I just bought 8 polos elsewhere =\\ although it is summery a lot in San Diego, I may have to get some more.

Just got my linen pocket square in the mail, got it in a couple days great product/vendor. Their pocket squares are nice, was looking for something that wasn't 18" too bulky i think theirs are 12" which is perfect.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dieworkwear
The yellow polo is the same as the burgundy Bixby above, just in a different color. Notice that the collar on Kent's polo curves nicely, and also stands up a bit more. The Bixby, on the other hand, is a bit more limp. In fact, I had to fiddle with it for about five minutes just to get it to that position. It kept falling down in a way that made the picture indistinguishable from the burgundy polo above.
Thanks for posting this. I even noticed some things that hadn't before, having the two photos side by side. A good way to put it is that my collars are made more like a woven shirt, with a collarband and self-fabric instead of ribbed fabric, which is why they lay open better.
Originally Posted by Hobbs
Kent, I take a 15.75 in your shirts and it's a very slim fit. Judging by the measurements, would an XL polo be the correct size to go for?
On the measurement chart, 15.75 should match up with L, but if you want to err on the side of a looser fit, then perhaps XL would be better.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads