• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for a first suit... but pants don't fit me!

rennavate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm 24 and looking to buy a good first suit, and I've been lurking here and learning by reading posts for a few months now.

The problems I face are thus: I live in Edmonton, Alberta, where I am limited to basically two stores for suits (Harry Rosen and Hugo Boss), and Canadian prices are ridiculous. I tried on a James/Sharp2 Hugo Boss suit, and they're selling it for $1,195.

My bigger problem (quite literally) is that the pants of slim suits don't seem to fit my thighs/ass. I have an ass that sticks out and large thighs from soccer (25 inches, with the right thigh almost 26 inches), and the pants of the James/Sharp2 suit technically fit, but are pretty constrictive while standing, and while sitting really ******* pull i.e. are uncomfortable/in risk of busting. I like the fit of the pants from the knee down"”the width is nice"”but the top block is like I'm wearing skinny jeans.

I don't want a suit if the pants don't fit, so my question to the Style Forum is: what other (perhaps even cheaper) suits are similar in style/cut/fit to the James/Sharp2 but will fit me in the thighs/ass? Am I screwed?

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gfreeman
I'm 24 and looking to buy a good first suit, and I've been lurking here and learning by reading posts for a few months now.

The problems I face are thus: I live in Edmonton, Alberta, where I am limited to basically two stores for suits (Harry Rosen and Hugo Boss), and Canadian prices are ridiculous. I tried on a James/Sharp2 Hugo Boss suit, and they're selling it for $1,195.

My bigger problem (quite literally) is that the pants of slim suits don't seem to fit my thighs/ass. I have an ass that sticks out and large thighs from soccer (25 inches, with the right thigh almost 26 inches), and the pants of the James/Sharp2 suit technically fit, but are pretty constrictive while standing, and while sitting really ******* pull i.e. are uncomfortable/in risk of busting. I like the fit of the pants from the knee down—the width is nice—but the top block is like I'm wearing skinny jeans.

I don't want a suit if the pants don't fit, so my question to the Style Forum is: what other (perhaps even cheaper) suits are similar in style/cut/fit to the James/Sharp2 but will fit me in the thighs/ass? Am I screwed?

What do you mean, Harry Rosen and the Hugo Boss store in WEM are your only two choices? There's a lot more suit stores in Edmonton than you care to admit.

How much do you want to spend? Less than $1000? Less than $700? Less than $500?

I wouldn't recommend Hugo Boss suits for your build anyway. Boss suits are cut quite slim.

I know a lot of SF members don't like suit separates but some mid-price retailers sell suit separates for under $600. That might be your best bet.

Of course, your final option is made-to-measure which will usually start around $1000 or so.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have big legs the classic fit pants will look slim cut on you. I think you've figured out that the slim stuff is a waste of time for you. So waste a bit more time trying on the more classic cuts.

rennavate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitMyself
What do you mean, Harry Rosen and the Hugo Boss store in WEM are your only two choices? There's a lot more suit stores in Edmonton than you care to admit.

How much do you want to spend? Less than $1000? Less than $700? Less than $500?

I wouldn't recommend Hugo Boss suits for your build anyway. Boss suits are cut quite slim.

I know a lot of SF members don't like suit separates but some mid-price retailers sell suit separates for under $600. That might be your best bet.

Of course, your final option is made-to-measure which will usually start around $1000 or so.

No, you're right, Rosen and Hugo are not my only choices in town... but I want a good suit, and I'm not sure where else I can find one in town...

As for the slim cuts, the James jacket fits great"”in fact, I would still need the waist to be suppressed a bit, it's still a little big! I'm athletic and in good shape, and have a good drop, so it's not like I need a regular cut jacket.

rennavate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, you're right, Rosen and Hugo are not my only choices in town... but I want a good suit, and I'm not sure where else I can find one in town...

As for the slim cuts, the James jacket fits great"”in fact, I would still need the waist to be suppressed a bit, it's still a little big! I'm athletic and in good shape, and have a good drop, so it's not like I need a regular cut jacket.

I'll spend $1000 with no remorse; I just want the suit to fit properly and be worth the money I'm spending.

tgt465

Reaction score
Suit pants usually have extra material around the waist, so that a tailor can expand them a couple of inches if needed. There should also be some material in the butt area to let it out a bit as well. Have you had a tailor look at the pants and how they fit you? They should be able to tell you whether or not they can make it fit.

rennavate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tgt465
Suit pants usually have extra material around the waist, so that a tailor can expand them a couple of inches if needed. There should also be some material in the butt area to let it out a bit as well. Have you had a tailor look at the pants and how they fit you? They should be able to tell you whether or not they can make it fit.

Perhaps that is possible. If I had just another inch in the thighs and **********, they'd fit fine! The waist is fine and so are the fit past the knees. But I looked at the inseam and in bottom it looks like an inch might be possible to let out; less so with the thighs, maybe three-quarters of an inch, if that? I don't know if they'd turn out, either.

timotune

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just my 2 cents:
I am from Germany, and know Hugo Boss Suits quite well. The James/Sharp II is retailing for around 200€ here (around 285 US-$) and it is not a high quality brand.
Boss is not high quality, do not belive their advertising.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Perhaps that is possible. If I had just another inch in the thighs and **********, they'd fit fine! The waist is fine and so are the fit past the knees. But I looked at the inseam and in bottom it looks like an inch might be possible to let out; less so with the thighs, maybe three-quarters of an inch, if that? I don't know if they'd turn out, either.

It is not possible to let out the thighs by one inch; in fact, there is nothing to be let out in the thighs.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
I'll spend $1000 with no remorse; I just want the suit to fit properly and be worth the money I'm spending.

Judging from your initial post, I was under the impression you thought Canadian retail prices are far too high for your budget.

rennavate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitMyself
It is not possible to let out the thighs by one inch; in fact, there is nothing to be let out in the thighs.

I stand corrected, then.

suitupshop

Reaction score
I offer a full made to measure service.. I currently sell to friends and family .. but am expanding online.. I have a full canvas, bench made suit for under $1000.. I can easily offer a Fabric from Holland and Sherry or most other Well known mills for that budget... All I need are your measurements and I have an Idea of the style you are looking for.. My suits are made in U.S.A, nothing overseas.. I also Have a Tailor Out of Toronto who is Italian Born and trained and makes a bespoke quality suit... a great suit... send me a message if you are interested and I can email you some info...

rennavate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
If you need room to sit, pleats are the way to go. Just don't get monster pleats. just a little will do ya.

I don't want pleated pants; I can't stand the look.

It's not that I'm fat, though. It's just my thighs/ass. I'm 6'0", 180lbs, 38 chest and 32 waist.

Any suggestions?

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't want pleated pants; I can't stand the look.

It's not that I'm fat, though. It's just my thighs/ass. I'm 6'0", 180lbs, 38 chest and 32 waist.

Any suggestions?

If they're well made, they won't gape. In any case, if you have thunderthighs, you're the prime demographic for pleats.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads