• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebunk

Reaction score
Can someone de-code the Shoemart colors for me and cross-reference them to the typical Alden colors (i.e. what is tan, scotch, etc)?

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CHRK33
^ Jhcam, did the ones from Leffot have a crepe sole? These might be slightly different because I was told they were a single leather sole, which hopefully lends them a slightly more formal feel (or so i hope). I agree with your premise that black shoes are pretty boring.

We'll see; I actually think they are nice-looking shoes. They weren't a must have at full price, but the more palatable 'seconds' price piqued my interest.

Yes, the Leffot have crepe while the Shoemart's look like a single leather or waterlock. They are great shoes - I'm very pleased with mine. Playing around with shoes and clothes is what we do, isn't it? So, have fun!
smile.gif

Astronaut888

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HarryFlashman
There is a lot of great stuff on the Alden irregulars emails in the small sizes this month as well! Whiskey chukkas are out there, and I would have bought them if I hadn't ordered Ravello LHS from last month's email!

Does anyone have any experience with the 379X last? Particularly compared to the Barrie of Van last?

I phoned today and was told that the 379X was "true to size" for what that is worth to ya!

trunks206

Reaction score
Originally Posted by geoffmartin17
I know this has been asked before, but what is the best way to get on this list?

Geoff

Seriously. I signed up to get the emails many months ago but I have never ever gotten one. (I don't know if that's a bad thing or a good thing though
laugh.gif
)

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the 379X last? Particularly compared to the Barrie of Van last?

in general, if you go with the same size in 379X last and the Barrie last, the 379X will feel too snug.

lxlfeng

Reaction score
Originally Posted by trunks206
Seriously. I signed up to get the emails many months ago but I have never ever gotten one. (I don't know if that's a bad thing or a good thing though
laugh.gif
)

aint no love for your size then haha

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by geoffmartin17
I know this has been asked before, but what is the best way to get on this list?

Geoff

I actually asked and never received the list. I then bought a couple of pairs of Alden's from the Shoe Mart and now get the email in the sizes I purchased.

Originally Posted by Collectro
What's up
I've been lurking for a minute, first time post.

I've had the Alden Winn Perry "little tanks" for just over a month now and something strange is happening with the leather toe part of the crepe sole. It seems to be warping/bending away from its crepe partner. Right now it's only happening on the left shoe. Has anyone heard of or seen this happening before? Sorry about the ****** iphone pics.

I wore my crepe soles today and though I do not like the crepe sole, because I do not think it looks dressy, I do not mind the leather doing that on mine at all. The leather is there because it is easy to replace and I guess saves the wear on the toe of the crepe. There are other shoe companies that do not have the leather tip to their soles and I guess they do not have serious problems so I am not sure why Alden does their crepe soles in this manner. I prefer the commando sole to the crepe and will seek it out always over the crepe in the future. I am not ruling out buying crepe ever again if I see a shoe I really like but it would have to be a less dressy shoe as I think the sole look yucky after a single wear. I wish Alden had something like the Dainite sole.
eh.gif

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ahab
I actually asked and never received the list. I then bought a couple of pairs of Alden's from the Shoe Mart and now get the email in the sizes I purchased.

I used to get the emails. Now I don't. I wish shoemart would get their **** together.
ffffuuuu.gif

HarryFlashman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ahab

I wore my crepe soles today and though I do not like the crepe sole, because I do not think it looks dressy, I do not mind the leather doing that on mine at all. The leather is there because it is easy to replace and I guess saves the wear on the toe of the crepe. There are other shoe companies that do not have the leather tip to their soles and I guess they do not have serious problems so I am not sure why Alden does their crepe soles in this manner. I prefer the commando sole to the crepe and will seek it out always over the crepe in the future. I am not ruling out buying crepe ever again if I see a shoe I really like but it would have to be a less dressy shoe as I think the sole look yucky after a single wear. I wish Alden had something like the Dainite sole.
eh.gif

I am plagairizing someone else's post from some point earlier on this thread, but I believe I read the reason Alden uses a leather tip on the crepe soles is to prevent "tripping."

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am plagairizing someone else's post from some point earlier on this thread, but I believe I read the reason Alden uses a leather tip on the crepe soles is to prevent "tripping."
OH, that makes perfect sense. Thanks for the heads up.
thumbs-up_normal.jpg

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The best way to get on the list is to call and ask to speak to one of the owners. If the sales rep asks you what is your reason, tell him/her you want to talk about Aldens.

The owner can forward you the email instantly and you will be put on the list for your size thereafter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads