• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by YoungAmerican
Remember that Frenchy does this for a living, so he's going to ten times more stores than most of us are. He's out there every day.

I know folks in the antiques biz who do this, and I am not surprised with Frenchy's finds.

exactly.its six pm here I already been to nine stores and have four to go.i hit about fifth a week.actually its 35 but some are twice.thinb is clothing to me is an afterthought I'm usually after furniture.i don't claim to have those scores every day or even every month.the question was best ever and that was it,over a year ago.most recent were the Hermes ties and brioni suits and if anybody paid attention they saw them in the for sale thread so you know I'm telling the truth.i even sent some pics of the brionis to nataku he can back me.
If you don't believe something try yourself.gor example I like the storage auction shows but didn't know if I should believe what they found.so I went to a few and guess what,people really do leave valuables in there.why?who the **** knows but they do.so anybody who doubts me.take two weeks sick weeks off work go to a big city and hit one hundred stores in those two weeks and then report back.

Larson McCord

Reaction score
Originally Posted by frenchy
exactly.its six pm here I already been to nine stores and have four to go.i hit about fifth a week.actually its 35 but some are twice.thinb is clothing to me is an afterthought I'm usually after furniture.i don't claim to have those scores every day or even every month.the question was best ever and that was it,over a year ago.most recent were the Hermes ties and brioni suits and if anybody paid attention they saw them in the for sale thread so you know I'm telling the truth.i even sent some pics of the brionis to nataku he can back me.
If you don't believe something try yourself.gor example I like the storage auction shows but didn't know if I should believe what they found.so I went to a few and guess what,people really do leave valuables in there.why?who the **** knows but they do.so anybody who doubts me.take two weeks sick weeks off work go to a big city and hit one hundred stores in those two weeks and then report back.

To clarify my statement above, I am in no way calling you a liar. I am only saying I can understand some skepticism of your finds. I'm not sure what good it does to attack you though. That's over the top and unnecessary. I am sure people make up stories on this thread, they do it all over the internet LOL. It's still better than all of the terrible things people put pics of here on a daily basis
laugh.gif

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only one find today - kind of interesting, though. First pair of self-labeled Incotex I've seen. They're an older wool pair with more casual styling, I guess? WTF is this?! They've got to be pretty old, I figure, but they were made in Italy and the construction / fabric seems nicer than I expected based on the Incos I've seen in trades / Zegna-branded. Edit: now available for sale/trade.
P1060566.jpg
P1060568.jpg

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Larson McCord
To clarify my statement above, I am in no way calling you a liar. I am only saying I can understand some skepticism of your finds. I'm not sure what good it does to attack you though. That's over the top and unnecessary. I am sure people make up stories on this thread, they do it all over the internet LOL. It's still better than all of the terrible things people put pics of here on a daily basis
laugh.gif

People forget that frenchy does this as his day job...he is the evil flipper we all love to hate (except he has an eye for what to take and he brings it to us...though you probably wouldn't want to live in his neighborhood
smile.gif
)

You can look at his B&S threads...where do you think his sales are coming from? Maybe he has posted his ebay account somewhere too...probably a lot of sales there. Sure, it is possible he has some odd perversion for embellishing on thrifting stories...and sure he may have a temper that makes him too quick to take offense...but is his stuff really that hard to believe?

EBTX66

Reaction score
FRENCHY - I don't believe you. Please send everything you have in a 46R, 17.5, 12M to me so that I can verify it really exists. Because I am not a complete douche I will pay for shipping.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonylumpkin
I've had a couple PMs regarding these shoes that have refered to them as croc. They weren't calling me out on listing them as alligator, just comments like: "beautiful pair of crocs", etc.

I'm no expert in exotics, but I thought they were alligator and was told they are alligator. Since I have them listed in B&S as alligator, I'd really like to know if I'm wrong so I can correct the listing. Any other opinions?

gator

CarlSpackler27

Reaction score
After having read all 900+ pages in the months since I've joined, I feel like I can finally go out somewhat educated, but still have plenty of learning to do. It probably doesn't help that I'm pretty sure I live within 20 miles of Nataku...

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
People forget that frenchy does this as his day job...he is the evil flipper we all love to hate (except he has an eye for what to take and he brings it to us...though you probably wouldn't want to live in his neighborhood
smile.gif
)

You can look at his B&S threads...where do you think his sales are coming from? Maybe he has posted his ebay account somewhere too...probably a lot of sales there. Sure, it is possible he has some odd perversion for embellishing on thrifting stories...and sure he may have a temper that makes him too quick to take offense...but is his stuff really that hard to believe?

i dont consider myself a flipper,more of a dealer actually.i actually work with 3 vintage furniture stores now.
i will give you an example,yesterday i vistited a store where i always get good furniture,but at the end checked the clothes section and thats where i got the tom ford and marinell ties,plus a pair of japanese Kicking Mule jeans.
BUT i also saw a Ferragamo,2 Brooks Brothers (nice ones) a Gucci and a Dolce Gabbana tie,a flipper would have bought them to resell.i left them for somebody else.
i also left a Kiton suit jacket behind a while back (2 button) and even told a guy here where to get it but he forgot the dumbass.
to me clothing really is an afterthought now,i treat thrifting like a business,and like any other business you have to diversify.
there is a lot of money in those stores.
for example,right now my primary focus is snowboards.
if you guys wanna make a quick 10-15 grand next winter listen up.
teacha.gif

for the last two years i buy up all the quality snowboards from april to september (anything made in italy,germany,france,austria etc etc by Burton,Sims,Rossignol metc etc)
this is the off season so you will see a lot of them and cheap ($10-$30)
i get about 5 a week,its only april and i already have 7
they retail 300-600 and can be resold anywhere from 150 to 200 once the snow starts falling (yes even in california,my freind does it there)
last summer i accumulated close to a 100 of them (with bindings) they cost me around $2000 and i resold them at $150-200 each (do the math) some were handmade Rossignols that went for 300
in the winter i do the opposite,i get vintage ten speeds,i have 30 right now i got over the winter that i got $10-20 each and reselling at 100-150 depending on make (miele,peugeots etc)
if you focus on just clothing you are leaaving a lot of cash on the table,dont even get me started on jewlery,tin toys and plates etc,i stay away from that stuff because theres like 10 guys here that run around and literally fight over that ****.

PS i cancelled my ebay acct about a year ago
ffffuuuu.gif
ebay fees.Frenchys money stays where it belongs,in his pocket.
im even refusing paypal lately now that they report to the taxman.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Digmenow
I've lost track. Will you be posting hot girlfriend pr0n or not?

26 years,5 foot 100 pounds,viet-thai mix.im a 36 year old 220 pound white guy so i must be doing something right

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CarlSpackler27
After having read all 900+ pages in the months since I've joined, I feel like I can finally go out somewhat educated, but still have plenty of learning to do. It probably doesn't help that I'm pretty sure I live within 20 miles of Nataku...

wrong attitude,you gotta go out and think positive

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've lost track. Will you be posting hot girlfriend pr0n or not?
26 years,5 foot 100 pounds,viet-thai mix.im a 36 year old 220 pound white guy so i must be doing something right
Imma take that as a "No". Probably for the best.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Imma take that as a "No". Probably for the best.

lol,you dont wanna see none of "this" think vin diesel/jason statham just not a as good looking hehe

CarlSpackler27

Reaction score
wrong attitude,you gotta go out and think positive
Trust me, I think positively. Have had some mild success, but known that I need to keep at it. Seeing the amazing finds by yourself and others definitely inspires.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.2%

Forum statistics

Threads