• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alfred Sargent Handgrade - Pictures

Lightbringer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
My comment was aesthetic more than construction. I have never held A&S handgrades and Nore's and the captoes above look great. My issue is that A&S do not seem to have a "personality". Look at the Leffot A&S shoes (not one there that I would wear). Are those English shoes?, Italian? English take on Italian? etc etc. St.Crispins is obviously a Astro Hungarian shoe. It's beautifully made and not pretentious. Edward Green are obviously English shoes. Again, beautifully made and unpretentious. A&S seems to be going in a weird direction but keep in mind that this is coming from a man that does not like musuem calf and its variants nor do I like the forum obsession with ever smaller beveled waist and higher heels. At the end of the day, it's your money and what I think is gorgeous is another man's disgusting. Just like with women.

I'm in agreement here. The brand feels like it is searching for a "look". There's been some nice ASs but never anything I've seen that feels evocative and unique of them.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pliny
figured it was prob meant for a laugh from a man who loves his norwegers - Dincks even. I'm going off delicate. Less hair i have on top the more shoe I want on the bottom. Why can't all trees be like that? good for hot climates.

it's a question of prize. not everyone wants to spend money on trees. they spent their money on lousy factory recrafts
laugh.gif

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
St.Crispins is obviously a Austro Hungarian shoe.

ed, i hear you walking, despite this little fact.

irl, they are not typical ambassadors for the classic styles. though, they found their style and their strategy and direction is settled, yet.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lightbringer
I'm in agreement here. The brand feels like it is searching for a "look". There's been some nice ASs but never anything I've seen that feels evocative and unique of them.

I feel the same way about them. To me they look like slightly less agressive G&G. However AS does have some very nice finishing that is very subtle on the welts and soles. For example, if you look at the welts they have this little bevel where it meets the sole rather than being squared off like on most shoes. Also the waist curvature and such is very smooth and even. These little details I find nice to admire, but not enough to make me pull the trigger on a pair when I could just as easily get G&G or EG. Also, after speaking with Chay he said that the leathers and materials of their Premier range is exactly the same as the handgrade range just without the finishing. I don't know if they are sourcing their leathers and materials from the same places as some of the other high end makers so...

Knowledge is King

Reaction score
Random question here but maybe this is the best place to get an answer. How does the 99 last fit compared to the 87 last? I've seen the 99 last before, but I've never tried it on. The reason I ask is that the 87 last (which fits me) doesn't appear to be available on the "AS Exclusive" range but the 99 last is. Just wondering if they are analogous the the EG 202/606 (round/square).

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My comment was aesthetic more than construction. I have never held A&S handgrades and Nore's and the captoes above look great. My issue is that A&S do not seem to have a "personality". Look at the Leffot A&S shoes (not one there that I would wear). Are those English shoes?, Italian? English take on Italian? etc etc. St.Crispins is obviously a Astro Hungarian shoe. It's beautifully made and not pretentious. Edward Green are obviously English shoes. Again, beautifully made and unpretentious. A&S seems to be going in a weird direction but keep in mind that this is coming from a man that does not like musuem calf and its variants nor do I like the forum obsession with ever smaller beveled waist and higher heels. At the end of the day, it's your money and what I think is gorgeous is another man's disgusting. Just like with women.

ED, you really should try and stop into Leffot today, the AS handgrade shoes are even more beautiful in person. There are some models not yet pictured online at the trunk show and they are worth every dollar. Comfort is another huge plus and I reach for my AS shoes more than anything else especially when there is a lot of walking involved.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NORE
ED, you really should try and stop into Leffot today, the AS handgrade shoes are even more beautiful in person. There are some models not yet pictured online at the trunk show and they are worth every dollar. Comfort is another huge plus and I reach for my AS shoes more than anything else especially when there is a lot of walking involved.

will you be there?
uhoh.gif

fullb

Reaction score

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fullb
Thanks

Thanks, yes they have, more pics here http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...&postcount=193

Great pics thanks. the finish is spectaclar, looks almost like a ceramic glaze, although could just be the photos. someone mentioned the Premier range and the HGs have the same leather - as (maybe) a bad thing. You hear anything on their sourcing? I understand their leather is semi-crust - like EG

theyare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pliny
Great pics thanks. the finish is spectaclar, looks almost like a ceramic glaze, although could just be the photos. someone mentioned the Premier range and the HGs have the same leather - as (maybe) a bad thing. You hear anything on their sourcing? I understand their leather is semi-crust - like EG

What about the exclusive range?

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Knowledge is King
Random question here but maybe this is the best place to get an answer. How does the 99 last fit compared to the 87 last? I've seen the 99 last before, but I've never tried it on. The reason I ask is that the 87 last (which fits me) doesn't appear to be available on the "AS Exclusive" range but the 99 last is. Just wondering if they are analogous the the EG 202/606 (round/square).

I think the 99 is a little wider at the ball of the foot and more narrow at the toe. The pic I posted a few pages back has an 87 next to a 99. Brooks Bros shoes are often in one of these two lasts. But it might be best for you to ask Chay. I've been asking him to post pics of the different lasts for a while, be he hasn't been able to get around to it. I'd be a big project.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by theyare
What about the exclusive range?

My understanding is that all shoes, from Premier to Hand-grade, are cut from the same kind of (butt) leather, the difference being the number of shoes per skin, or in the case of the Hand-grades, skins per pair of shoes.

Premiers may be cut three to a hide, but for Hand-grades 'we cut only one pair per skin and that is after sorting through up to ten skins to select the best one'. Plus the finish on the Hand-grades is 'different or superior'.

I'm guessing the Exclusives are somewhere in-between.

http://alfred-sargent.blogspot.com/2010/05/leather.html

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NORE
laugh.gif
I had just come back from. Saw a dude that was at your thing while I was there, too.

phew, dodged a bullet!

Anyway, I've seen some real nice AS, the two in this thread and some boots from others, not sure why Leffot was highlighting the ones in their blog.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads