• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where is your style heading?

linkinwayne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how many people here have a sort of ideal point they want to get to in terms of fashionz/style, but have yet to reach it due to lack of funds etc etc.

For example, I'd love to convert my wardrobe over to fully Ervell and In Aisce, with some Wings+Horns, but I'm not quite there yet. Consequently, I don't dress quite the way I ideally want to.

So, do you have a clear vision of what you want your style to evolve to?

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey man, there was actually a thread on the very same thing not too long ago (there is nothing new under the sun on SF) -- http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=56565

For me, it's not a style exactly but I've resolved to quit buying things because they're cheap. I don't know how much junk I've bought from Club Monaco because it was $19 and then returned later. Better fabrics are worth the money. Speaking of which, those BoO chinos I kopped off kwoyeu should be showing up any minute now...

Dbear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pickpackpockpuck
For me, it's not a style exactly but I've resolved to quit buying things because they're cheap. I don't know how much junk I've bought from Club Monaco because it was $19 and then returned later. Better fabrics are worth the money. Speaking of which, those BoO chinos I kopped off kwoyeu should be showing up any minute now...
True dat, buying things just because they are cheap is just as bad as overpaying for something expensive. Although most people do the former at all costs to avoid the latter. Small items, add up. For example, there is a tendency to have a set amount of $ in your head as the absolute max you can spend on a product. Their is no logic behind the number and it can be quite random. It's why people will easily spend $700 on an iPad but refuse to spend $0.99 on an app. I have friends that will easily spend $150 on a shoe (the max), but have like 7-8 shoes, and wear one or two of them. They also can't fathom why I would spend $400 shoes. But it's all the same when I only have 2-3 pairs that get consistent wear.

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha. My fiancee does that sometimes and it makes me crazy. Not with shoes, but she'll buy dresses from H&M and only wear half of them, and then ends up not liking them much because they look cheap. Actually, I ripped on Club Monaco earlier but I think they do actually get some nice stuff, and when she buys one nice dress there instead of three at H&M she ends up happier with it.

Originally Posted by Dbear
I have friends that will easily spend $150 on a shoe (the max), but have like 7-8 shoes, and wear one or two of them. They also can't fathom why I would spend $400 shoes. But it's all the same when I only have 2-3 pairs that get consistent wear.

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right now I'm trying to work on just getting stuff that fits well. After ******* with size small lec shirts I realized they mostly fit like ****. Ive found that uniqlo xs shirts fit great after a wash/dry so I'm trying to pick up enough of those to get me by within the next couple of weeks. I also want to pick up some AA Ts as all I really have right now is graphic Ts and hanes undershirts. Once I get that on lock, I'm going to start looking for some gully outerwear for next winter. I'm thinking something down.

tesuquegolfer

Reaction score
Great question that I myself have been pondering lately. I have had to dress up a few times lately for a new job which caused me to look at my wardrobe. I had adequate goods for as infrequently as I dress up, my work environment is very casual and I have typically worn shorts and a polo 6 months of the year. Anyway, I got excited to dress up so I went shopping and ended up going overboard with a new suit, 3 new SCs, 10 new dress shirts, 10 new ties, 10+ new socks, and new shoes. Although I enjoy dressing up occasionally, I really stand out at work and always get a lot of comments which sometimes makes me feel weird. Now that I follow SF regularly, I feel like my fits are not that good and it now bugs me to wear some my goods thinking the fit would not get SF approval (I have some OCD tendencies). Most people here think they are fantastic but don't have much in which to compare. So, now that warm weather is approaching I am wondering what to wear. If I wear shorts and comfort 3 days a week will I want to put on a tie and SC when no one cares at my work environment. Also, when I go out to dinner it is to more casual restaurants in Santa Fe, NM where it is "very" casual and my wife and teenage kids dress very casual, so I feel overdressed by comparison. Long story short, I am starting to revert back into my old comfortable self.
confused.gif

linkinwayne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey man, there was actually a thread on the very same thing not too long ago (there is nothing new under the sun on SF) -- http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=56565

Oh shoot, sorreh. Flicked through a few pages back, didn't see anything. Forgot to search.

Haha. My fiancee does that sometimes and it makes me crazy. Not with shoes, but she'll buy dresses from H&M and only wear half of them, and then ends up not liking them much because they look cheap. Actually, I ripped on Club Monaco earlier but I think they do actually get some nice stuff, and when she buys one nice dress there instead of three at H&M she ends up happier with it.

Word, Club Monaco's stuff is better cut and of better quality, generally. I saw and felt a really really bad shirt before though, was shocking how bad it felt

Originally Posted by mike868y
Once I get that on lock, I'm going to start looking for some gully outerwear for next winter. I'm thinking something down.

Damn son, winter is seasonz away

Originally Posted by tesuquegolfer
Great question that I myself have been pondering lately. I have had to dress up a few times lately for a new job which caused me to look at my wardrobe. I had adequate goods for as infrequently as I dress up, my work environment is very casual and I have typically worn shorts and a polo 6 months of the year. Anyway, I got excited to dress up so I went shopping and ended up going overboard with a new suit, 3 new SCs, 10 new dress shirts, 10 new ties, 10+ new socks, and new shoes. Although I enjoy dressing up occasionally, I really stand out at work and always get a lot of comments which sometimes makes me feel weird. Now that I follow SF regularly, I feel like my fits are not that good and it now bugs me to wear some my goods thinking the fit would not get SF approval (I have some OCD tendencies). Most people here think they are fantastic but don't have much in which to compare. So, now that warm weather is approaching I am wondering what to wear. If I wear shorts and comfort 3 days a week will I want to put on a tie and SC when no one cares at my work environment. Also, when I go out to dinner it is to more casual restaurants in Santa Fe, NM where it is "very" casual and my wife and teenage kids dress very casual, so I feel overdressed by comparison. Long story short, I am starting to revert back into my old comfortable self.
confused.gif

laugh.gif

That's a pretty sick clothing haul. And it's fine reverting to a more comfortable style if you still look good haha

*#..

Reaction score
As a college student, I feel like I have all my bases covered - I just need to replace/add a few things. My H&M hoodie I bought 2 years has held up well, but it's already ripping in the sleeves. It also shrunk, and I'm looking to replace it with something designed simply like it, but it has to be cheap. I don't believe in paying a lot of money for a hoodie I wear when I need to be comfortable for hours studying in the library, going out, etc. Basically, it's going to get trashed.

I have many fitted blank t's for daily wear, great pair of chinos from Epaulet, a nice selection of button-ups, big enough selection of SF-approved shoes for daily wear (4 pairs, 1 of which is a beater pair, might get a cheap pair of white Supergas to replace my current beaters), v-neck sweater, a nice Filippa K jacket, a Thick as Thieves suit when the time arises, Grenson Kirks for formal wear, and a cheap black tie from Sears.

Overall, I could use a few more button-ups, but I'll just buy the ones I like as they get released. I need to replace my tie, maybe a few different colors as well, definitely need to replace my hoodie before Fall starts, and maybe another jacket. I have a pair of Dry Bones Red-d slims I can't wear anymore due to shrinking too much in the rise, but I'm in no hurry to buy another pair of raw denim. 514's should be good for now, as they'll get trashed anyways.

linkinwayne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by *#..
As a college student, I feel like I have all my bases covered - I just need to replace/add a few things. My H&M hoodie I bought 2 years has held up well, but it's already ripping in the sleeves. It also shrunk, and I'm looking to replace it with something designed simply like it, but it has to be cheap. I don't believe in paying a lot of money for a hoodie I wear when I need to be comfortable for hours studying in the library, going out, etc. Basically, it's going to get trashed.

I have many fitted blank t's for daily wear, great pair of chinos from Epaulet, a nice selection of button-ups, big enough selection of SF-approved shoes for daily wear (4 pairs, 1 of which is a beater pair, might get a cheap pair of white Supergas to replace my current beaters), v-neck sweater, a nice Filippa K jacket, a Thick as Thieves suit when the time arises, Grenson Kirks for formal wear, and a cheap black tie from Sears.

Overall, I could use a few more button-ups, but I'll just buy the ones I like as they get released. I need to replace my tie, maybe a few different colors as well, definitely need to replace my hoodie before Fall starts, and maybe another jacket. I have a pair of Dry Bones Red-d slims I can't wear anymore due to shrinking too much in the rise, but I'm in no hurry to buy another pair of raw denim. 514's should be good for now, as they'll get trashed anyways.

American/Alternative Apparel make alright hoodies. I got a Wings + Horns hoodie for like 50% off retail (previous season), and I'll never regret the purchase. Most comfortable thing ever, and I've put it through a ton of ****. Still looks good.

Grenson Kirks are sweet.
smile.gif

thatguymj

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dbear
True dat, buying things just because they are cheap is just as bad as overpaying for something expensive. Although most people do the former at all costs to avoid the latter. Small items, add up.

For example, there is a tendency to have a set amount of $ in your head as the absolute max you can spend on a product. Their is no logic behind the number and it can be quite random. It's why people will easily spend $700 on an iPad but refuse to spend $0.99 on an app.

I have friends that will easily spend $150 on a shoe (the max), but have like 7-8 shoes, and wear one or two of them. They also can't fathom why I would spend $400 shoes. But it's all the same when I only have 2-3 pairs that get consistent wear.

Well put.

I used to do the same all the time. I would arbitrarily set some # in my head that I 'should' spent on a certain item. I would find something close to the item for below the price, get it, and hate it and have to replace it.

Instead I could have simply spent a little more and got what I wanted in the first place.

I also constantly buy crap I don't need bc it is discounted from where it should be.

I've recently just started buying the stuff I want and not worrying so much about prices as long as I am happy with what I got.

As far as where my style is heading, I dunno. When I first started here I was way into MC typa stuff, now I dread dressing up in my MC gear despite it being stuff I longed after and loved. Now I'm more in the SW&D stuff. This fashion **** is an expensive habit, thats for sure.

*#..

Reaction score
Originally Posted by linkinwayne
American/Alternative Apparel make alright hoodies. I got a Wings + Horns hoodie for like 50% off retail (previous season), and I'll never regret the purchase. Most comfortable thing ever, and I've put it through a ton of ****. Still looks good.

Grenson Kirks are sweet.
smile.gif

Thanks for the suggestions. The problem with American Apparel is everyone has one, clearly identifiable by the white strings, but I wouldn't feel bad about trashing it. I think W+H is a bit too expensive, and I don't really like the pockets. Glad you like the Kirks, they're good-looking shoes.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
have been thinking about this for a while now - http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...31495&page=788 I'm starting to branch out a little into what i genuinely just like wearing and letting go of stuff that there's nothing wrong with but just isn't me. Bought my first pair of boots, purcells, and threw out some sweatpants and gaudy t-shirts.

linkinwayne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thatguymj

As far as where my style is heading, I dunno. When I first started here I was way into MC typa stuff, now I dread dressing up in my MC gear despite it being stuff I longed after and loved. Now I'm more in the SW&D stuff. This fashion **** is an expensive habit, thats for sure.

I hear you. Came here to lurk and flick through MC, ended up shifting entire aesthetic towards SW&D.

Originally Posted by *#..
Thanks for the suggestions. The problem with American Apparel is everyone has one, clearly identifiable by the white strings, but I wouldn't feel bad about trashing it. I think W+H is a bit too expensive, and I don't really like the pockets. Glad you like the Kirks, they're good-looking shoes.

Yeah thought they were stupidly overpriced too before I got them. Trust me though, they're amazing once you actually wear them. Tiger fleece looks and feels super

Can't think of any other hoodies around AA price point off the top of my head. Ones that don't suck, at least

Originally Posted by Master-Classter
have been thinking about this for a while now - http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...31495&page=788

I'm starting to branch out a little into what i genuinely just like wearing and letting go of stuff that there's nothing wrong with but just isn't me. Bought my first pair of boots, purcells, and threw out some sweatpants and gaudy t-shirts.

Pics of boots/purcells?

*#..

Reaction score
Originally Posted by linkinwayne

Yeah thought they were stupidly overpriced too before I got them. Trust me though, they're amazing once you actually wear them. Tiger fleece looks and feels super

Can't think of any other hoodies around AA price point off the top of my head. Ones that don't suck, at least

Yeah, I'm gonna try H&M again this summer. I went to one a couple months ago, and the hoodies were a completely different design from the one I bought 2 years ago. It was longer, but it just didn't look right on me, so I passed on it. Maybe they'll have a better design next time I go.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads