• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to find a stylish waterproof jacket

MichaelPemulis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you have a pretty wide range of styles you are talking about - from barbour to nike m65.

I actually have most of those jackets, save for the arc'teryx.

My thoughts:

Nike M65 is nice, but it's clearly streetwear. It's also sized really big, you should probably size down. I bought one this month, I will probably re-sell it. Always wanted one, and realized that it just doesn't fit my style right now.

Barbour Tokihito Bicycle Jacket is probably my favorite jacket. I won't be able to wear it during the hottest months of the summer, but can wear it in fall and spring, and layered with something really thick in the winter. They are really beautiful.

Patagonia/Apolis is nice. I will wear this all summer as my rain jacket/windbreaker. If you want to save a few dollars, you can just get the Patagonia Torrentshell jacket, it's the same exact jacket as the Apolis without the red stitching.

I have the CDW Montagne, and it's very nice, but it's not really a "rain jacket" or waterproof. It is more like water resistant.

wangvicous

Reaction score
I was looking for the same thing. I eventually settled on the Barbour Beaufort with hood. I still want a Cabourn jacket tho

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MichaelPemulis
you have a pretty wide range of styles you are talking about - from barbour to nike m65.

I actually have most of those jackets, save for the arc'teryx.

My thoughts:

Nike M65 is nice, but it's clearly streetwear. It's also sized really big, you should probably size down. I bought one this month, I will probably re-sell it. Always wanted one, and realized that it just doesn't fit my style right now.

Barbour Tokihito Bicycle Jacket is probably my favorite jacket. I won't be able to wear it during the hottest months of the summer, but can wear it in fall and spring, and layered with something really thick in the winter. They are really beautiful.

Patagonia/Apolis is nice. I will wear this all summer as my rain jacket/windbreaker. If you want to save a few dollars, you can just get the Patagonia Torrentshell jacket, it's the same exact jacket as the Apolis without the red stitching.

I have the CDW Montagne, and it's very nice, but it's not really a "rain jacket" or waterproof. It is more like water resistant.

I need it for walking the dog, as every other jacket coat I have, can cut it in the Scandinavian spring/fall showers, so I have reached a point where it's all in and I'm trying to avoid TNF and generally looking like a mountaineer.

I was in a shop the other day looking at Barbour and I doubt they are waterproof enough for my need, I have an idea that CDW is the same even though South Willard says it should be able to handle a couple hours of rain.

At the price I'm not really feeling Arc'teryx if they where like half the price I would take an extra look at them.

I'm not really feeling the Pagonia stuff either, I was looking at sixeightsevensix x Scene Capandula earlier, but I'm not familiar with their build quality and it's waxed, so I'm not sure if it's going to end up in the no go category like the rest.

I also had a look at Folk rainmac and Norse x Elka, but they are just shells/raincoats.

So I'm back at square one Goretex and ugly jackets
ffffuuuu.gif

tropics

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Find Finn

At the price I'm not really feeling Arc'teryx if they where like half the price I would take an extra look at them.

agreed, the arcteryx stuff looks ok online but i was quite disappointed seeing them in person.

definitely hoping for more options from this thread.

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ngredient
Is the link broken for anyone else?

TKJTG just did a crap job copying the link, that's all. the jacket's been taken off the site -- probably because it sold out.

MichaelPemulis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The waxed barbours are waterproof, much more so than 60/40 stuff is. They are just heavier and don't breathe.

That FSC is nice^.

I also have the bonded cotton poplin Gant jacket, it's nice.

Not sure what size you wear, but you may be able to find one of the W&H chambray waterproof mountain parkas in the B&S. That may fit the bill.

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Rangoe

Reaction score
I've been thinking about this one from Club Monaco for about $240 (minus some discounts comes out to about $160):

rain.jpg

TeeKay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ahjota
TKJTG just did a crap job copying the link, that's all. the jacket's been taken off the site -- probably because it sold out.

Naw, it's just sold out. The link worked just fine when i posted it.

willy cheesesteak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That CM one is throwing me off with the tiny snaps, black zippers, lining, shape/cut of hood and the design of the wrist closures.

TeeKay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BTW if you're looking for the jacket I posted it's available on the Gant Rugger Michael Bastain section.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads