• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fully Canvassed BrooksCool Regent Suits

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was in the DC Brooks last night and saw a nice looking full canvas BrooksCool suit in the Regent cut for $595. I think that the goods are wool/poly blend (due to the desired cooling properties), but aside from that it looked pretty nice. I think it might even be a great bargain summer suit for me. I am especially tickled that it is full canvas and has almost no lining.

Has anyone else seen these? Any experience with them? My main reservation is that they are made in China; I'm curious if the quality is the same is the regular, half-canvas1818 suits that sell for $998...

bigbjorn

Reaction score
There is no chance BrooksCool suits are fully canvassed. No chance.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
Full canvassed?

I didn't see what you saw, but I don't believe you. Sorry.

Originally Posted by bigbjorn
There is no chance BrooksCool suits are fully canvassed. No chance.

That's fine if you don't believe me. 1) I know what a full canvas suit is and how to determine if, indeed, a suit is full canvas. You will just have to take my word. 2) Even if I didn't know what I was talking about, the suit has a label stitched into the inner left quarter that says "Full Canvas."

Chew on that. Why on earth would I lie about this anyhow?? If you don't believe me, call the DC store and ask a f**king suit slaesman to go look. The suit I examined was a size 39R. And no, they aren't on the web site right now.

Anyone else seen these in person at, say, 346?

stu00a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
pics or never happened.

and quick note about BB sales associates: they don't know **** about canvass, they don't know what they are selling.

not talking general but many of them.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stu00a
pics or never happened.

and quick note about BB sales associates: they don't know **** about canvass, they don't know what they are selling.

not talking general but many of them.

I have no pics, but, like I said, the label says it all if you don't believe me. I realize the SAs aren't that great, but I at least know what I saw and felt with my own eyes and hands.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbjorn
I shall get myself to 346 this evening to have a look around for this mysterious beast. I need to get a haircut up there anyway.

I trust it's one of these (btw, a black summer suit? Jesus, stupidity never ceases!):

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...ult_color=Blue

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...lt_color=Black

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...lor=Light-grey

The fabric seemed to be that AF blue tic. The suit I examined was side vented, however, and had bluffed edges. The suit on the site has a center vent, pick stitch, and is not indicated to be canvassed.

bigbjorn

Reaction score
Well, I'll go, and am prepared to eat crow, but let's just say it'd be surprising, to say the least.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So my two GF suits were a waste of money when I could have been buying Brookscool suits?

This I have to see to believe.

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe those are the ones I saw at the BBs store at DFW yesterday. What bothers me is that now even BBs have their suits made in China, what is wrong with this country?

LesterSnodgrass

Reaction score
Aren't Jeff a/k/a Wizard of Aahs's suits made in China and fully canvassed? If he can sell them for $300, Brooks can surely sell them for $595.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by anginaprinzmetal
I believe those are the ones I saw at the BBs store at DFW yesterday. What bothers me is that now even BBs have their suits made in China, what is wrong with this country?

I don't buy their 1818 line. However, the two GF suits that I have, one in made in Italy and the other in the U.S.A.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patek
I don't buy their 1818 line. However, the two GF suits that I have, one in made in Italy and the other in the U.S.A.

These suits were definitely not GF quality. Just because they are full canvas doesn't mean that they stack-up to GF in other aspects of construction.

bigbjorn

Reaction score
I went to 346 and Liberty Plaza, and asked for these. They claimed utter ignorance and had never seen them. The BrooksCool suits that they had there were not fully canvassed, but that doesn't mean they don't exist somewhere, I guess.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads