• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Warning...you're gonna hate the shoes. The rest? I dunno. You tell me. I'm trying to learn how to apply mousse. Obviously, there's room for improvement.
IMG_20110420_081835.jpg
85 F in TLoPL today.
IMG_20110420_081908.jpg
What did I tell ya?
IMG_20110420_081954.jpg
I'm embracing my inner Eyetalian.
IMG_20110420_082250.jpg

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
@ Digmenow

A vast improvement with the shave and a haircut. You look ten years younger and don't have that hangdog expression emphasized by the face fungus.

Jacket looks a bit boxy again, you need to show a little shirt cuff too. It's an interesting texture but from a distance the checks aren't so noticeable and it's too close to the colour of your trousers.

Shirt and tie combo is OK but your pocket square is lost.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Dig - A few things : 1. The mousse and shoes should be relegated to the glovebox of your 107...as purely aesthetic decoration for accurate representation of that period of time
laugh.gif
Consider a wax or pomade or something for your hair if its fluffy. You dont want that much volume. 2. The tie is awesome, and I would wear it myself in a heartbeat. Dont know how I feel about it with the shirt/SC, but its great. 3. Your pants should be at least 2 shades darker if you are going to wear it with that SC to provide some contrast - but I would have preferred to see a darker SC with a lighter pant. 4. Change the shirt for a light blue and the PS to something in a bordeaux paisley or something and it would have been a lot better. ... but hey, thats just my opinion.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Bugger me! Me and Spoo in general concurrence! I must be learning something!

@ Spoozy: Sorry to say this but I used to groan inwardly at almost all your pictures. I know you like to have fun with patterns but it always looked incongruent to me. I have to say that recently with a bit of toning down quite a few of your pics have looked much better and today's might be the best I've seen from you. You even managed to tame your hair! Now to switch out your serial killer glasses!
worship.gif

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
@ Digmenow A vast improvement with the shave and a haircut. You look ten years younger and don't have that hangdog expression emphasized by the face fungus. Jacket looks a bit boxy again, you need to show a little shirt cuff too. It's an interesting texture but from a distance the checks aren't so noticeable and it's too close to the colour of your trousers. Shirt and tie combo is OK but your pocket square is lost.
Don't miss your chance to weigh in officially! Poll: Another goatee poll ... w/pics...of me, unfortunately by Digmenow
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Dig - A few things : 1. The mousse and shoes should be relegated to the glovebox of your 107...as purely aesthetic decoration for accurate representation of that period of time
laugh.gif
Consider a wax or pomade or something for your hair if its fluffy. You dont want that much volume. 2. The tie is awesome, and I would wear it myself in a heartbeat. Dont know how I feel about it with the shirt/SC, but its great. 3. Your pants should be at least 2 shades darker if you are going to wear it with that SC to provide some contrast - but I would have preferred to see a darker SC with a lighter pant. 4. Change the shirt for a light blue and the PS to something in a bordeaux paisley or something and it would have been a lot better. ... but hey, thats just my opinion.

There's hope! Meanwhile, I was supposed to be wearing olive flat front chinos but they appear to be in the dirty laundry. Bummer for me. Also, the hair style is an effort to learn how to use my hair's natural tendency to curl...hence the hair product. The experimentation continues. Two weeks and if there's not significant improvement, it's back to the #4 buzzer.
Originally Posted by pvrhye
@dig I think I would have liked a standard point collar better with that fit. Losing the goatee was a good idea.
Interesting advice on the collar. I thought the general rule of thumb was button down with sport coat. I'm too new to this to be breakin' the law!

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Button down shirts are seen as being less formal so are more often paired with a sport coat than a suit but it's a pretty flexible rule. Cary Grant wore button downs with a suit in 'The Bishop's Wife'. Lots of politicians wear them but as they never do anything in public without a focus group it's probably paired with a sack suit to project a solid all American demeanour. I think it's more a matter of preference. They look good on some people but I own zero and don't plan on getting any either.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
Actually, serious anglophiles don't even wear button down with a tie.
I don't have to wear a tie every day? What's your rule on pocket squares? Diversity of opinion confuses me but I welcome it anyhow.

Navi

Reaction score
1303345866-picsay.jpg

1303345609-picsay.jpg

picsay-1303345253.jpg

New suit, keeper? Also I guess I was in a flowery mood today, lol. Suit is light navy herringbone, no alterations yet.

Tibor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello Navi, very nice fit and look.
smile.gif
My suggestions are the necktie is roughly tied an inch too long. The floral pocket square and necktie are lovely as single pieces but they don't work as well together(too much floral IMHO). The jacket looks great without any alterations. I would add a slight amount of waist suppression as to highlight and define your slim frame. You frame is great for just about any style of clothing.
smile.gif
Also the peak lapels peak in such a vertical manner that don't align with the shoulders it could date your suit in a few years but that is just personal preference. I can prefer very dated styles myself because I find them aesthetically pleasing and elegant as well. Great Post. Looking for a new Dinner Suit in the store?

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Thanks A - curious which conundrum? Shoes are John Lobb "Tamar".

I have a similar jacket, was having trouble deciding on a complimentary pants color.

Navi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tibor
Hello Navi, very nice fit and look.
smile.gif
My suggestions are the necktie is roughly tied an inch too long. The floral pocket square and necktie are lovely as single pieces but they don't work as well together(too much floral IMHO). The jacket looks great without any alterations. I would add a slight amount of waist suppression as to highlight and define your slim frame. You frame is great for just about any style of clothing.
smile.gif
Also the peak lapels peak in such a vertical manner that don't align with the shoulders it could date your suit in a few years but that is just personal preference. I can prefer very dated styles myself because I find them aesthetically pleasing and elegant as well. Great Post. Looking for a new Dinner Suit in the store?

Thanks alot for the advice buddy, yeah the lapels probably wont be too hot in a few years but I like them now so meh to that! I don't go for what's "hot" all the time anyways. I thought about getting the waist taken in but it almost seems like there's a tiny bit of pulling without it, but I'm not quite sure. I'll be taking it to my tailor to see what he has to say, I agree if I could get it taken in without it pulling around the buttons it would improve the fit. I also wasn't really planning on buying this suit today, and I got the PS at the same time, so the double floral KO wasn't planned
laugh.gif

I'll post a fit on Friday that will be more thought out, with some better matching as I'll have some time to think about it. And no, I work in that store
smile.gif
Cheers for the compliments and advice!

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Digmenow
I don't have to wear a tie every day? What's your rule on pocket squares? Diversity of opinion confuses me but I welcome it anyhow.

Wouldn't wear one to court, but otherwise, it's personal discretion. Anyway, the English (traditionally) don't wear a button down with a tie since it's kinda like the old stuffy English version of a basketball jersey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads