• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brooks Brothers Extra Slim Fit Shirts

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by notwithit
I would say not slim, at least in the case of the sport shirts. I picked up a few shirts - an OCBD, a chambray, and a couple of flannels - and I'm probably going to get all of them tapered and darted, and I'm going to get the flannels shortened so I don't have to tuck them in.

It depends on your build. Best if you have average dimensions.

I take a L, but the sleeves are maybe 1" too short for using with most of my blazers (I'm a little north of 6'2 and prefer the ends of my shirts to stick out maybe 1/2" from the end of cuff).

16.5 x 35 fits fantastic.

The dress shirts are definitely long and meant to be tucked.

whan7806

Reaction score
I'm thinking about grabbing a few sports shirts but being outside of the US, I cant get a hold of the exact sizing without trial and error purchasing.

Currently, I'm split between the 14.5 ESF and 14.5 SF: can anyone hook me up with the size differences between the two fits (chest/p2p in particular)? Measurements post-wash (shrinkage) for the neck and chest would be terrific as well.

For reference, my chest size is between 36.5"-37", my regular neck size is a 14.5 and height is 5'7". If anyone of a similar build/size can comment on what sizes/fits work for you, that'd be a great help too.

ahe

Reaction score
I'm 5'8", 140lbs, I usually wear 15-33. In terms of sports shirts, small fits excellent, the sleeves are probably .5" too long.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by meso
It depends on your build. Best if you have average dimensions.

Yeah, I'd say that my dimensions aren't really average.

Also, I wore one of the flannels today, and I noticed that the stitching came undone on the back of the right shoulder. This is the second time I've worn it, and it's not like I was splitting firewood when I wore it the first time.
plain.gif

I'm hoping BB's customer service will make it right. They already offered an exchange, but I want free return shipping and a refund to my credit card, consarnit all. For all I know, the next flannel they'd send me would fall apart, too.

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how do they compare with LEC Poplins? Do the Extra Slim shirts make them seems blousey?

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Also, I wore one of the flannels today, and I noticed that the stitching came undone on the back of the right shoulder. This is the second time I've worn it, and it's not like I was splitting firewood when I wore it the first time.
plain.gif

I'm hoping BB's customer service will make it right. They already offered an exchange, but I want free return shipping and a refund to my credit card, consarnit all. For all I know, the next flannel they'd send me would fall apart, too.

As an update, Brooks Brothers customer service officially rocks. They sent me a shipping label and asked me to include a note with my return so they'd know to refund my credit card.

I think I'm going to return all three flannels, since I don't think I trust the other two to perform any better than the one that's already falling apart. It's a shame, since I like the patterns and the feel of the fabric.

I'm also not thrilled by the not-that-slim fit, but I can get shirts tapered, darted, and hemmed for $18 per shirt (tops), so it's not a deal-breaker if they don't fit perfectly off the rack.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ i guess their return mail service is better than their SA in-store...

weird, i returned in-store and got about $37 back when i paid like $43. is that normal? never experienced that before.

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As an update, Brooks Brothers customer service officially rocks. They sent me a shipping label and asked me to include a note with my return so they'd know to refund my credit card. I think I'm going to return all three flannels, since I don't think I trust the other two to perform any better than the one that's already falling apart. It's a shame, since I like the patterns and the feel of the fabric. I'm also not thrilled by the not-that-slim fit, but I can get shirts tapered, darted, and hemmed for $18 per shirt (tops), so it's not a deal-breaker if they don't fit perfectly off the rack.
Yeah this has been my experience. Well, on the phone at least... they never respond to my emails this winter I did one of the 3 shirt deals. Got the first two and they didn't fit so I returned them to a store near me. Called and asked to cancel the 3rd and was told it was too late (it hadn't shipped, but they had already processed it) and that I'd just have to return it once it got to me. Forgot all about the last shirt until a month later when I was looking at my bank statement and realized I had never gotten it. Checked my emails and found the shipping email for the shirt, and tracking said it had been delivered. Called customer service, told them that while the tracking said it had been delivered I had never actually received it. Even though it was weeks after the shirt had supposedly been delivered and I had no actual evidence that the shirt hadn't been delivered they refunded me both for the shirt and the shipping $$. Also - recently gave the ESF a second try. The 14.5-32 I had bought previously was too tight in the chest and neck, got a 15-32 off of B&S and it fit much better. Chest and neck fit perfectly, armholes are high, sleeves are slim- not quite as slim as my BoO shirts but still pretty slim. Only work it'll need is some tapering/darts to fix the blousiness at the bottom.

tombking

Reaction score
I recently bought an BB Extra Slim Fit shirt (14.5 and 32). The fit is great. The only problem is extra fabric in the back (about an inch).

I'm 5'5 140lb, lean body.

kappy

Reaction score
So I was into a BB store in Miami Beach (Bal Harbour centre) and I was about to try on a shirt. I'm 15/35 apparently, and they didn't have any in stock. Apparently, there wasn't a single shirt in that size to be found in the whole Miami area... So i tried on one of these sport shirts, http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_0FjPCtl8nP.../untitled1.bmp And I was thinking about buying some of those instead, (maybe I will order a shirt to my hotel, just to try etc) Theres only one question I have about those shirts though. If you look at the picture, in the bottom of the buttoning, the cut isn't straight, its rounded a bit. Isn't that a detail made because your supposed to tuck the shirt in? I was thinking about getting them for some chill-wearing un-tucked, won't that look a bit weird?

reedobandito

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here have experience with the Black Fleece shirts? I have my eye on one and am thinking of going with the BB1. I am a traditional small, at 5'11" and roughly 157 lbs.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by reedobandito
Does anyone here have experience with the Black Fleece shirts? I have my eye on one and am thinking of going with the BB1. I am a traditional small, at 5'11" and roughly 157 lbs.
What is your suit size? I am afraid the sleeves will be too short for you.

reedobandito

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My suit size is about a slim 38R. I could always have the sleeves lengthened a bit too, had that done with another dress shirt.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just ordered 4 of the sports shirts... the chambray and 3 of the regular ones. Got them in large.

I hope this will be it, I am sick of buying/altering BDC shirts. Kind of miffed they don't carry any of these at their NYC stores.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads