• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ahhh! Creasing.....(I know it's been asked)

myztikal47

Reaction score
I did a search, and it seems like creasing is caused by wrong shoe size and from what people have said on the forum, you can reduce creasing using shoe trees and cream but it will just come back even if it seems to have disappeared. The problem I'm having is creasing on one shoe, I've had these for a few weeks and wear them often, as you can see one shoe looks great, no creasing at all, the other shoe has horrible creasing. They are a pair of To Boot New York shoes. So the question is, is this happening because the leather is bad? I don't think it's a fit issue, but I'm no expert. Thanks in advance for the help!

5638587367_7bec6881c2_b.jpg

bjornb17

Reaction score
Been there done that. I learned to live with it, happens on all my shoes.

myztikal47

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bjornb17
Been there done that. I learned to live with it, happens on all my shoes.

Yes, I know, it's unfortunate, in all the other threads they say the only way to prevent creasing is not to wear the shoe lol. But it seems like people in the shoe pr0n thread seem to have non-creased shoes even after wearing them. I'm just disappointed that one of the shoes looks almost perfect while the other one has creased greatly.

Barnabus

Reaction score
I knew some one who used to waddle around with out stepping off on the balls of his feet as he walked in order to try to prevent his shoes from creasing
lol8[1].gif

You can try that.

JGloger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Barnabus
I knew some one who used to waddle around with out stepping off on the balls of his feet as he walked in order to try to prevent his shoes from creasing
lol8[1].gif

You can try that.

I will admit that when I first purchased a nice pair of shoes I tried this for about 10 minutes before realizing I was being ridiculous. I like to tell myself that the inevitable creasing builds character
plain.gif

Barnabus

Reaction score
Yeah but he tried to keep this up for months at least you stopped right away
laugh.gif

mrjames

Reaction score
Originally Posted by myztikal47
The problem I'm having is creasing on one shoe
[/IMG]

This is your leading foot- the one you put your weight on- try this, when you bend down to pick something up and you drop down on one knee, is it usually this shoe that stays flat to the floor (and gets bent)

But it seems like people in the shoe pr0n thread seem to have non-creased shoes even after wearing them.

Bespoke fit
or after having tried on every last known to man, then selecting the closest match

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure about quality of leather, but the left shoe definite crease oddly because either your instep is too low or the shoe is just over all too large.

Can try using a tongue pad that is the case.

myztikal47

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JamesX
Not sure about quality of leather, but the left shoe definite crease oddly because either your instep is too low or the shoe is just over all too large.

Can try using a tongue pad that is the case.

Kind of too late for a tongue pad no? The damage seems to have already been done
frown.gif

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I did a search, and it seems like creasing is caused by wrong shoe size and from what people have said on the forum, you can reduce creasing using shoe trees and cream but it will just come back even if it seems to have disappeared. The problem I'm having is creasing on one shoe, I've had these for a few weeks and wear them often, as you can see one shoe looks great, no creasing at all, the other shoe has horrible creasing. They are a pair of To Boot New York shoes. So the question is, is this happening because the leather is bad? I don't think it's a fit issue, but I'm no expert. Thanks in advance for the help!
5638587367_7bec6881c2_b.jpg

A diagonal crease like that is often a sign that the foot is too long for the shoe. Many people have one foot that is longer than the other. And often that longer foot is has less substance than the shorter foot. A shoe that is not filled by the foot will tend to crease more. So...you may have one problem compounding the other.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nah, none of these things.

the shoe leather just sucks.

I've seen this happen plenty of times, usually on $70 sneakers made in china. The creasing will not match because the hides do not match.

myztikal47

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DWFII
A diagonal crease like that is often a sign that the foot is too long for the shoe. Many people have one foot that is longer than the other. And often that longer foot is has less substance than the shorter foot. A shoe that is not filled by the foot will tend to crease more.

So...you may have one problem compounding the other.

I'm a bit confused by this, so should I be sizing up? The current shoe is 10.5, I tried on 10 but it was too tight and 11 was too loose.....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads