• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ambrosi Napoli

gazman70k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I'd say it's a tie with post #178

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Manton - to complete your comparison, can you please share the standard rack rate of the Ercole and Ambrosi for a given fabric. Thanks in advance.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbromer
This is a logical fallacy.

If you scored almost perfect, that doesn't tell you anything about the likelihood of how everyone else has scored. It just means you almost scored perfectly. Every other person could have almost scored perfectly too. Hell, every other person could have scored higher. Standing alone, your score doesn't mean anything as a reflection of other scores.

Except, it was an empirical, not logical, claim. Logic determines whether a phenomenon is possible in the first place. The likelihood of possible phenomena is based on observation of previous phenomena, not logic.

Lightbringer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbromer
This is a logical fallacy.

If you scored almost perfect, that doesn't tell you anything about the likelihood of how everyone else has scored. It just means you almost scored perfectly. Every other person could have almost scored perfectly too. Hell, every other person could have scored higher. Standing alone, your score doesn't mean anything as a reflection of other scores.

With the pants, there was an implication, whether you intended it or not, that Ambrosi's pants were better than others, because they score almost perfect. That just doesn't make sense. There could very well be other pants out there that score almost perfect too. The fact that Ambrosi's pants are almost perfect doesn't eliminate the possibility that other pants are almost perfect too.

I actually need to order more pants. I think I'll stick with my current tailor for now.

This assumes someone has no sense of the distribution scores fall into though. I think it's fair to say that one does.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lightbringer
This assumes someone has no sense of the distribution scores fall into though. I think it's fair to say that one does.

Yep.

ctp120

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Night Owl
is this what all the fuss is over?

fit is.. unremarkable
confused.gif

Seriously? I'd probably prefer forward pleats, but fit is spot on (break being interpreted somewhat subjectively within an acceptable range).

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Night Owl
is this what all the fuss is over?

fit is.. unremarkable
confused.gif

Fit doesn't seem to be the problem with that fat chicks ass. Sorry if its your wife / gf.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ctp120
Seriously? I'd probably prefer forward pleats, but fit is spot on (break being interpreted somewhat subjectively within an acceptable range).
I don't get the ambrosi trouser love either ... maybe I am missing something. Tutee made a GREAT thread on good trouser fit. Below are some images from that post that show how good trousers fit -- to my eyes, these look FAR better than ambrosi trousers that I have seen so far, whether or not they are 100% handmade or otherwise.
Originally Posted by tutee
Below are pants made by jefferyd of this forum and are one of the best examples of fit in every possible way. Note the completely absence of any puckering, pulling stretching, and above all perfect back balance.
40479215894689cace47.jpg
4048665834aa61c6a03c.jpg
*I just wish there was a front picture of these; maybe Jeffery would be kind enough to share that with us Okay so finally in the fun section we will post pictures of our pants RTW, bespoke anything as long as it is a dress pant and fits well. Please post front, side and back (or ¾ profile) pictures. Do NOT post pictures of close-up details of pants or such. This is a discussion about fit NOT construction. You can post anything from JC penny to Kiton and from your local tailor to Knize or SR tailoring houses. Full vs slim, pleats vs flat front, braces vs belts or self-supporting does NOT matter. If it is has a clean waist, seat and leg (front and back) it is all okay. Kindly also share (if you wish) how did you arrived at the fit and if not what did you felt obstructed in this fit process. To start off I am posting pictures of my pants. These are NOT presented as something of a standard all should aspire to but rather one of my best take at understanding some of the fit iussues I described above. These did not came about overnight either.
img1526tq.jpg
img1529q.jpg
img1531x.jpg
img1532j.jpg
Below are Vox’s pants from a suit you have seen in WRYWRN thread and he will surely share his comments on these
835829623iqt8txl.jpg
8358296092bdc5xl.jpg
835829596g8c68xl-1.jpg

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
That chick is fat. Oops, is she your wife?

FTFY

ctp120

Reaction score
^^
Srivats,
Not sure why you quoted me, as I was going on record as claiming the Ambrosi's fit beautifully, as do the ones in your post, btw. As far as styling, I prefer Vox's save the waist treatment.

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Big words still bugging you? Figures. I knew kids like you in college. Spent too much time coping with not being Anglo-Protestant establishment to actually learn anything. The tragedy is mitigated by the fact those sorts tended to amongst the most loathsome.
This is the first time anyone has referred to me as "loathsome" (that I know of), so it's a bit of a milestone. Pardon me if I get a bit choked up. I don't think I'm the one you originally accused of being bothered by big words, and I don't see any big words in your post, so I'm confused. As for your branding me a self-hating Jew / Catholic who wants to be part of some "establishment" based on an obvious joke, I suspect this is supposed to bother me? Nip away, little chihuahua, nip away.
Maybe it's never too late, so here's a lesson. I claimed that Ambrosi's trousers are exceptional in the amount of hand-sewing. This is backed by photographic evidence that very few seams are left to be done by hand. Moreover, in their completely hand-sewn model, literally all seams are hand-sewn.
It's never too late. If one equates hand-sewing to perfection, then you're right. You've conceded this might be a subjective, rather than objective measure, but I agree! Ambrosi pants are likely better than Ercole's! This was not the point of any of my posts, incidentally -- my point was that you are an arrogant, sanctimonious prick who has little reason to be that way, but I understand taking the points where you can get them.
Simple analogy (let's see if you can follow): if you score perfect on a test, it's safe to say nobody has scored higher. If you score almost perfect, it is unlikely anyone has scored higher--estimably less likely when the person in question won't tell you his score.
I follow. Speaking of exams, was the third time the charm? By at least one objective measure that we know of it seems I can follow the material where you can't, so you might want to reconsider that high horse you've mounted.
Get it? I tried to avoid using the word "parlance." If any of my other words aren't Asian enough for you, just let me know.
If I ever gave you some indication your vocabulary was too advanced for me, perhaps you can point me to it. This, by the way, is a good example of what I'm talking about. No one mentioned big words or vocabulary, but you somehow end up chiping about it as if it's an issue. The great cosmic joke of it all is that everyone can see that you've developed little-man syndrome -- I mean that figuratively, don't go complaining about size-ism. You develop a relatively small following based on your esoteric expertise in all things Neapolitan, mostly gained by buying things and sucking up to a couple of tailors, and suddenly you go from a nobody to a somebody (on the Internet no less). You inexplicably now feel free to treat anyone who doesn't agree with you like your inadequate yet barely-tolerable serf. The little bit of power you wield -- by way of expertise and admittedly qualified opinion -- has gone to your head and causes you to say things to people from behind the safety of your keyboard that I doubt you would say in real life (evidence: you're still alive). You have very nice clothes and know a lot about tailoring. Outside of that, you are a notorious caricature, a running joke, and nearly everyone but you seems to know it. It's not exactly loathsome, but it is kind of pathetic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads