• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To Tailor or To Sell

garymyman

Reaction score
I came to own an amazing 100% cashmere RLPL (made in England) sport coat. Unfortunately it is a 42L and I am a scrawny 40R. I've had jackets shortened at my tailor with decent results, and have had shoulders taken in in other jackets. This thing needs the works though. I'm willing to spend some money, since my initial investment is so little and this jacket is so nice but I don't want to ruin the thing. Here's a picture:
photo-6.jpg

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
id sell it. To make it work, youd need a VERY good tailor, and a LOT of money. youd be better off just buying one that fits.

Boston Tweed

Reaction score
+1 for sell. Even with a great tailor it'd be hard to get it perfect, and for someone your size those lapels will, in my opinion, always look a bit big. Would be a sweet coat for the right guy though!

jreigen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep, no chance of saving it, just send it to me...
biggrin.gif

garymyman

Reaction score
Not sure if it makes a difference, but my total investment is $67. It was a last minute steal from ebay (horrible description by seller). I wonder: is it more selfish to potentially butcher this innocent jacket or to attempt to make a profit from a fellow SFer? All I really want is a perfectly fitting coat for minimal capital outlay...

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sell, you need to shorten it too much

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you try to alter it, you'll be throwing your money away and you'll ruin the jacket. Just sell it.

JGloger

Reaction score
Definitely sell. I've made the mistake in the past of dumping money into attempting to fix something that didn't fit but that I got "at a great price." It's not worth it.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by garymyman
Not sure if it makes a difference, but my total investment is $67. It was a last minute steal from ebay (horrible description by seller). I wonder: is it more selfish to potentially butcher this innocent jacket or to attempt to make a profit from a fellow SFer? All I really want is a perfectly fitting coat for minimal capital outlay...

If you want I will buy it from you
biggrin.gif

Pending measurements of course...

garymyman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Achilles_
If you want I will buy it from you
biggrin.gif

Pending measurements of course...

Measurements:
Shoulder width--19"
Chest--45"
Sleeve length--25"
Jacket length--33"

I put it on the B&S forum as a "for trade."

If it gets no bites, then it's off to the butcher shop (I 100% respect the advice of all who have posted to sell, but part of me is morbidly rooting for it to get no interest just to see what happens at the tailor. What if...).

Either way, thanks for all the advice, folks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads