• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conservative business dress WAYWRN: An Experiment

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MalfordOfLondon
conservative business dress? Not sure....

I like everything about this. My only quibble would be the socks, they look like casual rather than dress socks.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like to this of this as the "classic men's style" thread and o/o seems to fall into those parameters, despite some occasional flamboyance. Thpugh the colors today are a wee bit hostile. Greg is bringing it - very nice look today, even including the shoes!

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another day in court. At least these attorneys are interesting…

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man - I remember luftvier the Tyrolian cowboy, undisputed world champion of whimsy... and now it's all so professional and measured. what happened?
laugh.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
lufty, bad shoes. The rest great.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Man - I remember luftvier the Tyrolian cowboy, undisputed world champion of whimsy... and now it's all so professional and measured. what happened?
laugh.gif

I realized that whimsy is overrated. Call it youthful hubris. And as has been stated ITT, anyone can vomit up a mix of colors and pattern and get attention - but it doesn't mean that it looks good.

Moreover, after sitting in court and watching plenty of young attorneys come in with too-short coats, too-tight jackets, overly tapered pants, and loud accessories, I realized that I LOOKED LIKE THAT TO OTHER PEOPLE.

I had been sucked into the SF WAYWRN maelstrom and had to get out. I was gone from here for a while to get my bearings - self imposed exile from around November of last year until this March. In that time, I sold all my super-modern (or too-small vintage) slim fit stuff and went back to the basics.

I also opened up my own law practice. And looking though some older WAYWRN shots, I realized that there was no way I'd hire a young attorney who looked like I did.

Originally Posted by Manton

I knew you'd not be a fan of the AE Westgate. These have also been through a resole, so they're looking a little broken in.

There's a practical reason to my gunboat preference as well - for all the walking I do, on pavement, the double or triple soles don't wear out hearly as quickly, nor do the uppers show the same signs of wear.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ You remember correctly indeed.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
I realized that whimsy is overrated. Call it youthful hubris.

After sitting in court and watching plenty of young attorneys come in with too-short coats, too-tight jackets, overly tapered pants, and loud accessories, I realized that I LOOKED LIKE THAT TO OTHER PEOPLE.

I had been sucked into the SF WAYWRN maelstrom and had to get out. I was gone from here for a while to get my bearings - self imposed exile from around November of last year until this March. In that time, I sold all my super-modern (or too-small vintage) slim fit stuff and went back to the basics.

I also opened up my own law practice. And looking though some older WAYWRN shots, I realized that there was no way I'd hire a young attorney who looked like I did.

KUDOS. I like the new look.
cheers.gif

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
KUDOS. I like the new look.
cheers.gif

…and IIRC, you used to rake me over the coals for some of the **** I was wearing. Thank you. It was sombering, and needed.

That's why I find this thread compelling. Fit, classic form, suble use of color and pattern rule the day. Not some jarring popourri of color and pattern - though I will be bringing out the classic GTH look for the later spring and summer.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There's a practical reason to my gunboat preference as well - for all the walking I do, on pavement, the double or triple soles don't wear out hearly as quickly, nor do the uppers show the same signs of wear.
This is the reason my gunboats have become my travel shoe when I want to take only one pair. I can walk miles in them, and often do when traveling, in complete comfort.

By the way, Lufty, I'm among those who applaud your new look. It works well for you.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

I take it back, ditch the jaquard stripe on the shirt.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I take it back, ditch the jaquard stripe on the shirt.

If a jaquard stripe is what I think it is, this shirt doesn't have it.

Edit: I think this shirting is dimity.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
If a jaquard stripe is what I think it is, this shirt doesn't have it.

What are those lines on the collar then?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It seems to have it. The stripes on the shirt, are they in the weave? As in a different weave and texture?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads