• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yuketen vs Quoddy vs Oak Street bootmakers. The Ultimate Showdown

JRyder

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MSSneaker
Some of you guys sound like teenage girls arguing over Twilight characters. I like all three - my vote goes to Yuketen in a showdown. I have no problem with the pairs I have from any brand.
Whatever123 might just be a twilight character. With his domination of any thread related to moccasins I don't think he sleeps much if at all. Otherwise, I'm sure he's out chasing rabbits.

A.L.Z.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JRyder
Whatever123 might just be a twilight character. With his domination of any thread related to moccasins I don't think he sleeps much if at all. Otherwise, I'm sure he's out chasing rabbits.
Look, Whatever123 doesn't own any moccasins, period. I have yet to see any photos. He wasn't born into money either, and given his current economic condition....well, he has to watch his spending at Target as well... Famished from the single Taco Bell taco he had all day, and tired from panhandling outside The Temple, he returns home tired and wearing Target Made in China shoes....and vents his spleen in the Quoddy thread. Does anyone know if he was foreclosed?

Vaudevillian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A.L.Z.
Can you please explain why your preference goes to Yuketen....you seem to be one of the very, extremely, small number of people here who actually knows the history...
vivete a Milano? voi italiano o lo straniero?

ah, It's nothing I can properly articulate, I just have a look at what they offer and think that overall they have more models that I actually like (well, Quoddy has the ring boot to be fair).

Concerning the history, I guess many people here know more about it than myself, I merely read some interview a while ago, back when Yuketen was becoming the 'It' brand that now is.

Generally speaking, behind the brand story (which is meant to highlight the passion/authenticity that go into making it), each brand has to deal with the nitty-gritty of the actual production. It's all about negotiations, dealing with factory managers and a lot of stuff which is a lot less 'sexy' that recounting how a japanese man fell in love with the shoes of the Indians or something like that...

...and yes, I'm based in Milano and Italian also in nationality :)

A.L.Z.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vaudevillian
ah, It's nothing I can properly articulate, I just have a look at what they offer and think that overall they have more models that I actually like (well, Quoddy has the ring boot to be fair).

Concerning the history, I guess many people here know more about it than myself, I merely read some interview a while ago, back when Yuketen was becoming the 'It' brand that now is.

Generally speaking, behind the brand story (which is meant to highlight the passion/authenticity that go into making it), each brand has to deal with the nitty-gritty of the actual production. It's all about negotiations, dealing with factory managers and a lot of stuff which is a lot less 'sexy' that recounting how a japanese man fell in love with the shoes of the Indians or something like that...

...and yes, I'm based in Milano and Italian also in nationality :)

It is always interesting to see how American shoes are considered in Italy. I know Italians love English shoes, like Church's, Crockett and Jones, John Lobb, etc.

But Italy has some good moccasins also, like Tods....so I would think it is harder for American moccasins to compete in this market...

A.L.Z.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whatever123
that was our secret! i love the tb uniform ... its a perk of the job, you know. hey alz, i had daniel pull your interview results with goldman (i only have them for 3 interviewers). let me know if you want them and ill fax em over to you. it clearly states why you did not get the job.
smile.gif

Again, I call your bluff, whatever123.... Fax away: +1 212 902 1000 I'm waiting....

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Again, I call your bluff, whatever123....

Fax away: +1 212 902 1000

I'm waiting....

call my bluff for what?

A.L.Z.

Reaction score
call my bluff for what?

I'm waiting, whatever123....

where's this alleged "interview notes" you have?

Just like your alleged Quoddys and Yuketens....

Save face, whatever123! At least post the photos of the Oak Street boots you got gratis....

Vaudevillian

Reaction score
It is always interesting to see how American shoes are considered in Italy. I know Italians love English shoes, like Church's, Crockett and Jones, John Lobb, etc.

But Italy has some good moccasins also, like Tods....so I would think it is harder for American moccasins to compete in this market...

like most non-US markets, Italians are now crazy about Alden. Yes, Church's and possibly Tricker's are also enjoying a revival among the affluent/edgy crowd (disclaimer: I'm maybe taking this for granted but please consider that everything that I'm writing applies to the 0.something% of the population who has both the money and the will to go after high-end non-mainstream brands).

This is all about the big-sole shoe coming back in fashion (which is quite striking because Italians usually go for cleaner/lighter stuff)

Tod's are more or less in the same price-bracket here (well, perhaps slightly cheaper) but they would be seen as too mainstream by most people who buy Alden.
Having said this Hogan (also owned by Tod's) is pulling out some very nice hi-top with a street-chic vibe. Too bad the micro-niche above still sees the brand as 'untouchable' as it's basically the uniform of the rich with no taste.

Another nice brand (but again tainted by being too mainstream) is Car Shoe, owned by Prada. They are extremely well constructed.

A.L.Z.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vaudevillian
like most non-US markets, Italians are now crazy about Alden. Yes, Church's and possibly Tricker's are also enjoying a revival among the affluent/edgy crowd (disclaimer: I'm maybe taking this for granted but please consider that everything that I'm writing applies to the 0.something% of the population who has both the money and the will to go after high-end non-mainstream brands).

This is all about the big-sole shoe coming back in fashion (which is quite striking because Italians usually go for cleaner/lighter stuff)

Tod's are more or less in the same price-bracket here (well, perhaps slightly cheaper) but they would be seen as too mainstream by most people who buy Alden.
Having said this Hogan (also owned by Tod's) is pulling out some very nice hi-top with a street-chic vibe. Too bad the micro-niche above still sees the brand as 'untouchable' as it's basically the uniform of the rich with no taste.

Another nice brand (but again tainted by being too mainstream) is Car Shoe, owned by Prada. They are extremely well constructed.

Yes, much of what is coming out of Italian big names this year--Ferragamo, Gucci, Prada--are copies of Alden styles or even American popular styles like loafers and boatshoes....I noticed that too...

What is considered "mainstream" in Milano among the upper middle class? not the 0.X% who can afford Alden, but the rest....

A.L.Z.

Reaction score
what interview notes? i thought you said i work at taco bell? i posted the pics i have on pb in the other forum (some of those shoes have been sold).
Okay, whatever123. you win. i give up. you seem to have every shoe i want...you are probably my clone out west. if i knew you in real life, i would probably be your bestest friend evah!!!! why are we fighting! It's the like the fighting between two brothahs! Stop this now. BBF whatever!!!

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Yes, much of what is coming out of Italian big names this year--Ferragamo, Gucci, Prada--are copies of Alden styles or even American popular styles like loafers and boatshoes....I noticed that too...

What is considered "mainstream" in Milano among the upper middle class? not the 0.X% who can afford Alden, but the rest....

are aldens popular in italy?

you would think with the options they have they would be as popular as they are in the states.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics