• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ambrosi Napoli

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
Can someone (anyone?) explain the magic of the Ambrosi pents?

I don't mean handwork or construction - I mean fit.

Is there an Ambrosi silhouette?

I have some pics at home that might show the difference.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I like the product enough that I am willing to deal with it.

I know you do. Perhaps if I had been able to go to Naples and get fitted for a bunch of stuff at once it could have worked out. It seemed to help significantly in your case.

Truth be told, I am so happy with Despos that I don't feel the need to look elsewhere, though the price is close to double.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
I know you do. Perhaps if I had been able to go to Naples and get fitted for a bunch of stuff at once it could have worked out. It seemed to help significantly in your case.
It helped but I still had to deal with a taste of what foo and nay are going through.

And, truth be told, Salvatore still owes me four pairs. I do expect to get them some day.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
It helped but I still had to deal with a taste of what foo and nay are going through.

And, truth be told, Salvatore still owes me four pairs. I do expect to get them some day.

Wow, a tough situation all around.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thread is remarkably similar to the weekly"where's my Jantzen shirt?!??" threads of a few years back.
patch[1].gif

A much higher end, hand-stitched version of those threads of course.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
Wow, a tough situation all around.

Well, I told him not to rush those. Four are for summer suits and one is a whipcord that can wait until fall. If I get them by June I will be happy.

However, the two that were supposed to come in December arrived in March.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
This thread delivers.

Unlike Ambrosi?

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

Fantastic Mr Foxx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
Can someone (anyone?) explain the magic of the Ambrosi pents?

I don't mean handwork or construction - I mean fit.

Is there an Ambrosi silhouette?

+1. All this discussion about Ambrosi's "magic" pants has aroused my curiosity. BTW, what's the price range?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The "magic" is chiefly in the degree and quality of the hand-sewing. Since the pants are already nearly all hand-sewn (virtually all hand-sewn if you buy the "golden" ones), it is hard to imagine anyone else doing its equal in that respect. Rubinacci, for example, makes excellent trousers--but they cost me twice as much and have about 60% as much hand-sewing. Who cares about hand-sewing? Well, I don't know if they make 'better' pants, but I appreciate the artisanal workmanship regardless of the function or aesthetic effect. If you don't get that, a pair of Ambrosi's aren't for you.

Plus, the price is relatively low. Most bespoke trousers from a top tailor will cost more than $1,000.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I understand why people care so much about hand sewing in jackets, since the stitching helps form the shape of the coat. But pants aren't shaped the same way. So why do you care if it's hand sewn or not--just because?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
The "magic" is chiefly in the degree and quality of the hand-sewing. Since the pants are already nearly all hand-sewn (virtually all hand-sewn if you buy the "golden" ones), it is hard to imagine anyone else doing its equal in that respect. Rubinacci, for example, makes excellent trousers--but they cost me twice as much and have about 60% as much hand-sewing. Who cares about hand-sewing? Well, I don't know if they make 'better' pants, but I appreciate the artisanal workmanship regardless of the function or aesthetic effect. If you don't get that, a pair of Ambrosi's aren't for you. Plus, the price is relatively low. Most bespoke trousers from a top tailor will cost more than $1,000.
Kiton K50 bespoke trousers cost $15K... whatever Ambrosi charges looks like a bargain in comparison.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads