• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conservative business dress WAYWRN: An Experiment

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hump dAy
110420072.jpg

I need to stop eating..
110420074.jpg

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
As always, crappy pictures. As always, only the close-up is true to colors and textures.

As always, I like your outfit. As always, I think your PS would benefit from being a little more rumpled. I'm obviously nitpicking, but a fold like this looks more interesting to me:

photo7.jpg

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbromer
As always, I think your PS would benefit from being a little more rumpled. I'm obviously nitpicking, but a fold like this looks more interesting to me:
+ 1 I know G just stuffs it in (TWSS) but the end result actually looks more studied than random.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate those flowery puffs with a vengeance. I actually hate "folds", period. I always take the square from the middle (like a puff), fold it in two and stuff it in. Done.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't care for the flowery puff (poof?) either. I didn't think my example was too flowery. It's sort of in between flowery and what you do. But I understand your approach, and it seems to work well for you.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ndw
^Looks good, Mike. Just a suggestion, but as I look at your SC today (and after browsing through the series of photos you posted to illustrate how gunboats look with slim trousers yesterday), I can't help but think the your straight 3 roll 2s and 2 button coats flatter your shoulders and proportions better than your coats with a significant roll (as in today's example). I probably have the opposite issue.

Thanks, Nick.

I have never really considered that. However, there is a singnificant distortion of proportions here due to the angle of the photo. If I were able to get a more straight shot (like you do), I think the pic would be more representative of how the fit looks IRL.

Mike

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
^^

not sure on what continent that would be considered conservative business dress.

It seems like people are starting to post in this thread just for the heck of it.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Good stuff on this page.

True, true.

By the way, are you aware that the BBC are using you as their advocate-general for the Morning Suit?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-13129837 (your quotes are bottom-left)

The "article", such as it is, has a rather muddled premise, which forces everyone's quotes into rather random categories, but I chuckled to see you cited for an article titled "Tailcoats: An Elegy", which sounds amusingly obscure.

oldog/oldtrix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^

not sure on what continent that would be considered conservative business dress.

Given my age, perhaps the incontinent.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
^^

Originally Posted by forex
It seems like people are starting to post in this thread just for the heck of it.
o/o likes to protest the premise of this thread.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads