• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ambrosi Napoli

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
quar: I don't disagree with you - I just don't see it humorously like you do.
Originally Posted by sellahi22
Who's blaming "this mythical evil business thing"? No one is blaming Ambrosi for wanting to expand his business, it's just that he's making a mess of it. To some extent it's understandable; these guys are trouser-makers, not businessmen. If they were doing good business making trousers as a father-son team in their Naples workshop, I really wonder how they intend to maintain quality control and reliability while spending half their time touring the world to take orders. Presumably they'll move to the standard cutter-tailor bespoke model, but I don't see how they will continue to surpass all of their competitors in quality while maintaining lower prices, the way they have in the past. The point is that they will need to figure it out, and there will be growing pains and compromises, but their current customers - especially ones who have helped them build their brand - should not suffer.
Ambrosi should be accountable for his service. I could understand a 1 month delay. 6 months is irresponsible and outside the realm of growing pains. At that point, you're laying the fault of the delay at businesses (who is not Ambrosi, despite them owning it) instead of the owner - I can't agree with that.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's funny lawyers lining up to complain about slow service.

Sue! With luck in about 12 years you might have gotten to court.

manicturncoat

Reaction score
Since SSC Napoli lost to Udinese Sunday and now have no chance of winning the Scudetto Neapolitans, in general, will start thinking about work again and the pants should arrive.

banis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by medtech_expat
I hope to be able to do a side-by-side comparison of Ambrosi & NSM next weekend (assuming I get my Ambrosi, of course).
I've got both NSM and Ambrosi. Did not bother with making comparisons.
They are both nice. Don't know which one has more or less handwork.
Main difference is that Ambrosi's pants are double reverse pleated, while NSM are double forward pleated (it was quite a surprise for me at the fitting, but decided to leave it as proposed by Mina).

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Class has got nothing to do with it. Although, that you think so only goes to prove the effectiveness of NYR's constant insinuation to the contrary. I get it now. Poor tailors, poor schoolteachers. Can't stop making clothes, can't stop buying them. Can't think for themselves, apparently.
Uh, nope. You completely misread my meaning. Further, I'm having a hard time understanding what you're getting at. You're saying that I think it's class warfare because NYR said it wasn't? You're saying custom tailors make clothes for poor teachers? Is NYR poor? I figured he made more than either of us - he's in a union, after all. Anyway, these are all questions I'd love to have answered once the buzz from whatever you're drinking wears off. However, at the risk of eliminating that possibility, I'll explain to you what I meant in simpler terms. I was poking fun at the elitist cock-sucker attitude you projected in the sentences I quoted. Though you are obviously highly opinionated when it comes to clothing I didn't figure you for downward social comparison. It now appears that, because you have various Italian tailors on speed dial, have spent a king's ransom on bespoke clothing, and have become something of a sought-out expert on Neapolitan clothing, you now think you are actually *better* in some quantifiable way than a teacher from Brooklyn who uses the local tailor. I find this hilarious. Did the latest shipment from Mariano include a listing in the social register? A membership in the Union Club? Did buying all that **** make you something other than an Asian guy who seems to work for a living like the rest of us, or suddenly provide you with a lofty perch from which you could look down your nose at the plebes? If so, I'm placing a big order with London House tomorrow - I've always wanted to be a member of the Everglades club, but I've got that embarrassing *Jewish* problem ....

Lightbringer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
It's funny lawyers lining up to complain about slow service.

Sue! With luck in about 12 years you might have gotten to court.

It is my understanding that Foo is no longer a lawyer but has sold his soul to forces much darker.

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lightbringer
It is my understanding that Foo is no longer a lawyer but has sold his soul to forces much darker.
He's a talent agent?

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big A
Did the latest shipment from Mariano include a listing in the social register? A membership in the Union Club? Did buying all that **** make you something other than an Asian guy who seems to work for a living like the rest of us, suddenly provide you with a lofty perch from which you could look down your nose at the plebes?

If so, I'm placing a big order with London House tomorrow - I've always wanted to be a member of the Everglades club, but I've got that embarrassing *Jewish* problem ....

Different colour, same thing.

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
Different colour, same thing.

Sort of my point ....

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big A
Sort of my point ....
Dammit, I was trying to be funny.

laugh.gif

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not wasn't saying that big business was evil, nor do I claim to know much about business. However, anyone with a reasonable mind would not find it a stretch to believe that when a smaller business, whose product in known for meticulous attention to detail and "handwork" gets a boom in popularity, and tries to grow, that it simply can not produce the exact same product it did before. Especially in an industry like clothing. If Sal is spending time trying to start a RTW branch for his business, thats less time he's spending on his bespoke clients, hence, the wait people are experiencing and the problems with getting their product done right. I never intended this to turn into a class thing, just to simply point out that while a business like Ambrosi's is growing it will most likely have some bumps in the road.

elgreco

Reaction score
I'ma go to Jos. A. Banks now.

S. Magnozzi

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by banis
I've got both NSM and Ambrosi. Did not bother with making comparisons.
They are both nice. Don't know which one has more or less handwork.
Main difference is that Ambrosi's pants are double reverse pleated, while NSM are double forward pleated (it was quite a surprise for me at the fitting, but decided to leave it as proposed by Mina).

Too lazy to search, but I believe edmorel once noted that NSM's trousers are highly comparable to Ambrosi's.

Do you find any differences in fit? What I especially like about my Ambrosi's is the fit and 'elasticity' in the groin area
lookaround.gif
, something I have not experienced with other tailors yet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads