• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

astris

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mediahound
The Indy boot is. Just saying...
I'm looking for something that can work in the office and won't break the bank. I guess a ptb in calf or chromexel with antique edges? I'm really feeling those bucks, but I'd still need another dressier pair.

REguy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Danito
Hey,

Just picked up my first pair of Aldens: Cordovan Cap toe color # 8.

Any words of wisdom for an Alden amateur?

Step 1: Take shoes out of box
Step 2: Put shoes on feet
Step 3: Tie shoe laces
Step 4: Walk

If another pair of Aldens tickles your fancy, purchase them and repeat steps 1 - 4. Amazing, in just 4 easy steps you went from an Alden amateur to an Alden professional.

Danito

Reaction score
But seriously,

Does anyone have experience with Cordovan color 8? I've heard you can expedite the aging process through sun exposure. Has anyone had success using this method?

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But seriously,

Does anyone have experience with Cordovan color 8? I've heard you can expedite the aging process through sun exposure. Has anyone had success using this method?

I keep seeing people ask this. Why would you want to do this? Seems sorta stupid to me but maybe that's just me.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

CTYGGG

Reaction score
Hey, Just picked up my first pair of Aldens: Cordovan Cap toe color # 8. Any words of wisdom for an Alden amateur?
Congratulations on your first purchase. Post some pics of them and get a nice horsehair brush and shoe trees. Enjoy!

Danito

Reaction score
I would have preferred a lighter color, but alas, I did not have the funds for such a purchase. I scored these color 8's for $399 from shoe mart. I can't complain.

PorterInjax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CTYGGG
Congratulations on your first purchase. Post some pics of them and get a nice horsehair brush and shoe trees. Enjoy!

Hey,

Agree with getting a nice horse hair brush and shoe trees. Both are a must. You may also want to get some saphir renovateur or venetian shoe cream to apply between polishings. As for polish, look up the Mac method for shell cordovan. You should be set!

HarryFlashman

Reaction score
Not as popular here, but Alden for Brooks Brothers LHS in #8 after three hard days walking around San Francisco (and without any mac method)...

4j2r68.jpg

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HarryFlashman
Not as popular here, but Alden for Brooks Brothers LHS in #8 after three hard days walking around San Francisco (and without any mac method)...
4j2r68.jpg

very nice. looks like the weather was amazing today. was this picture taken downtown?

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you open the box?
n00b! I do not open the box, my retailer opens it for me when he personally delivers it. Did you buy your shoes from eBay, B&S or J. Crew. Even when I buy seconds they send a HS kid.
facepalm.gif

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mcbrown
Can't help you there - I feel more comfortable wearing cordovan in the rain than I do wearing calfskin because I consider it lower maintenance. I know many others feel differently. Either way, I think either is "ok" in the rain with reasonable care (letting the shoes dry thoroughly, rotation, appropriate conditioning & polishing, etc.).

I may be less fussy with my footware than most, however. As evidence, my AF53's after a recent day out and about.
smile.gif

These look great.

Hey,

Yes. Do not wax or cream them. Just brush with a horsehair brush and maybe use a barely damp rag on them. I have wax build up I am trying to get off a few pairs of shoes and it is not fun. Not as noticeable on #8.

The Mac Method
1- Clean shoes with damp cloth
2- Brush vigorously with a horsehair brush (EDIT: I have read 5 minutes per shoe before and after wearing)
3- Buff with smooth cloth
4- Use wax after a minimum of fifteen wearings

Srivats take on the Mac Method.

1. Wipe shoes with (barely) damp cloth to remove dirt. Let dry for 2-3 mins.
2. Insert shoetrees. Take a horsehair brush and brush vigourously till your arms give out. OK, for 5-6 min (each shoe).
3. Buff with flannel cloth.
4. Use paste wax (minute, minute amounts) every 15 wearings or so, or if they get scuffed hard. Yearly application of cordovan creme (not regular creme) if need be.
5. Rinse and repeat.

Both gentleman post here so they can correct or condemn me if I am wrong. They do not call Mac the King of Shell for nothing.
king_smilie.gif

Originally Posted by astris
I'm looking for something that can work in the office and won't break the bank. I guess a ptb in calf or chromexel with antique edges?

I'm really feeling those bucks, but I'd still need another dressier pair.

If you want Alden's for work and would like to get a better deal you can wait for Brooks Brothers sale. Now it is harder to get a deal on the cordovan but the calf is easier. I am not sure but I think the next big sale for them is end of May or June. You can search Men's clothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics